U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-21-2017, 07:10 PM
 
10,371 posts, read 5,283,516 times
Reputation: 16649

Advertisements


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QijbOCvunfU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2017, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Lakeland, Florida
6,231 posts, read 10,679,818 times
Reputation: 6766
Fantastic movie. Very well done. It's an actual dramatic movie that tells such an important story. Something that is rarely seen in the movies of today. Most are junk. I have been waiting all year to see Dunkirk. I wasn't disappointed at all. The film definitely shows the helplessness of the British forces, as the Germans surrounded them. How England came together with all the boats used in the rescue. It was an amazing evacuation to save so many.

My father was at Normandy in Jun 1944. He rarely ever talked about it, though the pictures he shot were amazing. He was a navy photograher. I know he mentioned Dunkirk to me at some point. So I had some understanding of this tragic and courageous undertaking.


I can see why this film is getting some great reviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2017, 10:08 PM
 
Location: Henderson, NV, U.S.A.
8,351 posts, read 4,399,808 times
Reputation: 15762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
That's Joe Wright for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2017, 11:18 PM
 
Location: England
16,641 posts, read 4,059,232 times
Reputation: 25804
An American friend has told me the audience applauded at the end of the film. When I first heard this movie was going to be made, I thought, "why"? I was curious why Christopher Nolan would want to tell this very British story for an international audience. After all, these are events from 77 years ago.

I think he may have tapped into something that touches us deeply. Hundreds of thousands of young men stranded on a beach only 24 miles from home across the water. Somehow, and very quickly, the decision was made to bring as many of them home as possible.

Not just the armed forces, but ordinary people owning small boats sailed across that water to get those boys home........ and they were just boys most of them, many still teenagers. A tale like this, told well, will attract a massive audience, some of which rarely visit a cinema these days.

My Uncle was one of those boys, just a kid at the time. He didn't make it home for five years. He didn't talk much about those years, but I want to get a sense of what he went through in 1940. I named my youngest son after him. I will see this film next week, and am very much looking forward to doing so.

Last edited by English Dave; 07-21-2017 at 11:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 01:00 AM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
981 posts, read 277,204 times
Reputation: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
An American friend has told me the audience applauded at the end of the film. When I first heard this movie was going to be made, I thought, "why"? I was curious why Christopher Nolan would want to tell this very British story for an international audience. After all, these are events from 77 years ago.

I think he may have tapped into something that touches us deeply. Hundreds of thousands of young men stranded on a beach only 24 miles from home across the water. Somehow, and very quickly, the decision was made to bring as many of them home as possible.

Not just the armed forces, but ordinary people owning small boats sailed across that water to get those boys home........ and they were just boys most of them, many still teenagers. A tale like this, told well, will attract a massive audience, some of which rarely visit a cinema these days.

My Uncle was one of those boys, just a kid at the time. He didn't make it home for five years. He didn't talk much about those years, but I want to get a sense of what he went through in 1940. I named my youngest son after him. I will see this film next week, and am very much looking forward to doing so.
I agree, the film looks worth seeing in a theater. Hopefully its good. Thank you for your earlier reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 06:00 AM
 
Location: England
16,641 posts, read 4,059,232 times
Reputation: 25804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
I agree, the film looks worth seeing in a theater. Hopefully its good. Thank you for your earlier reply.
We are just back from the early morning show. I found the film very moving. No false heroics. Just realistic characters, in a grim setting, trying to get home. Well done Christopher Nolan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 06:22 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
4,193 posts, read 1,183,965 times
Reputation: 2597
Dunkirk was tragic and heroic at the same time, and I a glad an account of the events are being preserved for future generations.

Two other recent British War Films are well worth watching.

The true story of what happened at Kajaki in Helmand Province in Afghanistan with a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and '71 about a young soldier in Northern Ireland in 1971, it has a 96% rating.

The Band of Brothers forged in an Afghan minefield - Telegraph

'71, review: 'blindingly strong' - Telegraph


Last edited by Brave New World; 07-22-2017 at 06:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 09:00 AM
 
13,975 posts, read 13,143,052 times
Reputation: 12796
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
We are just back from the early morning show. I found the film very moving. No false heroics. Just realistic characters, in a grim setting, trying to get home. Well done Christopher Nolan.
Glad you enjoyed it. For you and me and, I am sure, many others, there is a personal aspect to this film. It isn't just history. The fact that you thought it was good is worth more than the opinion of any critic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 10:48 AM
 
Location: England
16,641 posts, read 4,059,232 times
Reputation: 25804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Glad you enjoyed it. For you and me and, I am sure, many others, there is a personal aspect to this film. It isn't just history. The fact that you thought it was good is worth more than the opinion of any critic.
Thanks Jaggy. I admired how Nolan didn't try to play with the audience's emotions. That would be easy to do with subject matter like this. The film moved me, and reminded me of the debt we owe those brave men and women of that time.

That generation is almost all gone now. People like my Uncle who was there in Dunkirk, my wife Judy's dad who fought the Germans in Africa, until badly injured, spending two years in hospital. Her Uncle a prisoner of the Japanese for three long years.

This film is a timely reminder of the price paid for the freedom we take for granted today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 11:40 AM
 
6,288 posts, read 6,620,388 times
Reputation: 5734
Thanks to everyone for writing great posts. This is the best aspect of CD. Thank you for sharing all of your memories. I hope Steve Bagu that you are writing down your memories of your experiences. My Dad, a WWII vet told us stories but I wish that he had written them down because I can't remember all of the details and frankly, didn't pay enough attention to the stories. I have so many questions, but now it's too late to ask.

I am pretty sure that I saw the John Mills film version when I was a teen or young adult. I haven't seen this film yet, but looking forward to it. I knew about Dunkirk previously, but not all of the details. It is an incredible story of self-sacrifice. My Dad would have loved to have seen this film, even if there are flaws in accuracy. The film also has some of my favorite British actors in it.

I rarely go to the movie theater now and rarely see mainstream Hollywood movies. I think the last good one that I saw (online) was Hidden Figures. I hope this continues the trend of making mainstream movies that aren't for the mindless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top