Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 08:29 PM

475 posts, read 648,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I didn't like it at all. The whole movie was predictable, there was no suspense. I figured what the ending would be as soon as the one character was introduced. Every character acted like a complete idiot, I dont know how they made it so far in life.
Speaks to unimaginative writing and directing don't you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 01:19 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
......For me, ALIEN and ALIENS are undisputed classics. Everything after that in the franchise just made a mess. Ripley, Hicks, Newt, and Bishop made it back safely and lived happily ever after, and I'll fight anyone who says different.
That's the way it is for me, almost. I accepted Alien 3 but once I saw Alien: Resurrection, I was done with it. Why? Well, in addition to what a mess the 4th movie was, there was the endless droning of "The Company, The Company, The Company...".

Hadn't they figured out by then that having these things around was a very poor idea?

As such, I've never bothered with another movie in that franchise.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:50 AM

735 posts, read 1,171,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
They needed to include all of this in Covenant (and they should have just called the movie covenant). It would have bolstered the film and given it more depth. I so friggin hate the android David for what he did. I also had no idea it was him that wiped out the engineer's planet until I saw this video.

This was a weaker film than Prometheus. But I went wanting to know what happened to the survivors of the Prometheus and the backstory of who created the creatures, when, how and why. All that was answered with the exception of the why part.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:59 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venture2000 View Post
They needed to include all of this in Covenant (and they should have just called the movie covenant). It would have bolstered the film and given it more depth. I so friggin hate the android David for what he did. I also had no idea it was him that wiped out the engineer's planet until I saw this video.

This was a weaker film than Prometheus. But I went wanting to know what happened to the survivors of the Prometheus and the backstory of who created the creatures, when, how and why. All that was answered with the exception of the why part.
I agree. I'm bummed these scenes were cut. I hope they're included in the director's cut.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:00 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,111,956 times
Boy oh boy, am I bummed. Not very good.

The actress who played the main character was great, though. Really good.

Spoilers:

Spoiler
Disappointed that the Shaw story line of "I want to know where they came from" ended in a disaster. David experimented on her as soon as she put him back together.

Also disappointed that the entire story arch of this film was all based on David 's feelings. Mortal creatures are less than so he wnted to destroy them all. Weak sauce

The story itself did very little to move along the overall Prometheus/Alien story

Old 05-22-2017, 11:52 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Here's my mini review, I give the movie a 3/10. It was disappointing. Background, I have watched the extended version of Prometheus multiple times prior.

You should skip my review if you don't want spoilers, let's just say this movie is similar to Aliens 3 in terms of pace and quality.

**Spoiler Alert**

The movie started off slowly as they introduce the Covenant. This is not much different than the Extended Edition of Aliens at the beginning 20mins of additional content showing a Colony settled on LV426. Then you were introduced to Newt and her family then you know what happens.
In Covenant, it's a colony ship and you were introduced Walter another synthetic except this time around they've made them more obedient but not more than Bishop. I don't know why they keep using David's appearance but I'm sure the script called for it to make it suspenseful.
I thought the discovery of the planet was flashback to Alien when Ripley's crew also detected a communication from a source of unknown origin. The whole landing sequence the expedition team was similar to Aliens as well.
I think to myself haven't they learned in the future to follow protocols when exploring new planets that you should be wearing biohazard protection? Not to mention one guy said he's going to potty, the scientific community today calls for contamination protocols not to contaminate other planets with our germs until we know WTF is going on. The screenwriter assumes nobody is geeky enough to know these risks.

My problem with being lured to this planet by David is that it becomes like other B movies that there's this monster hunting you but not the real baddie which is the person that set out the lure and turned everybody into cattle.

The Prometheus continuum was also poorly done. Not fully explained but the trailer sums up the outcome. I don't believe the Engineers race is that stupid to fall for a Trojan horse trick. They seem less intelligent than humans and they are supposed to be as advanced or even more than the Predators race. So this is very disappointing.

All of the plots were so decidedly simple and not very well designed just like Aliens 3 where things were just happening like dominoes falling and no twist and turn to build the plot.
David turned out to be a human psychopath than some super intelligent android. There should be some insights to who programmed or designed him. It was evident from Prometheus that he had an agenda that even Mr.Weyland didn't know about.

I thought the plot and action near the end was reminiscent of Aliens with the airlock but poorly constructed with David's reveal and made the crew looked stupid because how could they not know that it's not Walter. They had an AI controlling the ship and could easily tell if some unauthorized crew member was onboard that didn't have the access codes.

Obviously the ship was smart enough to require an override for a close decent but not smart enough to know it's not Walter who is accessing the ship unless even 100 years from now people are still using weak or old passwords.

As for the lead actress, I think we've found our new Ripley. From the ending, let's hope that somebody discovers the Covenant.

Last edited by vision33r; 05-22-2017 at 12:52 PM..

Old 05-22-2017, 12:07 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
I agree with others that the trailer looks great but we shall see how it turns out.

What made the original so good was that it was just as much a sci fi as it was horror. We didn't get a good look at the creature which added to the overall mystery of what it was. Of course CGI has made huge strides but we don't always need to see the creature in amazing high definition to be frightened by it.
I think with this remake we are going to see more of a sci fi shootem up then a sci fi horror.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:13 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
This movie only proves what I have been saying for 20 years: Ridley Scott is the most brilliant visual filmmaker of his generation (perhaps ever), but he wouldn't know a good script if someone put it in a tank and ran him over with it.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:26 PM

I think that those that enjoy Covenant, like it for the horror and shock value and just want more Alien type monsters. The diehard Alien and Alien(s) fans that grew up with this Franchise see it getting ruined by poorly written stories with glaring plot holes and absolutely no consistency. I was coming off a rough work week (staff issues) and this movie on Friday just added to my anger and frustration. I have never been so impacted (negatively) by a movie as I have been by Covenant.
I am happy to say that I am thoroughly enjoying the 1990's Alien trilogy by Steve and Stefani Perry (Earth Hive, Nightmare Asylum and Female War). I read them around 1992 and am enjoying them more this second time around. Why Couldn't Scott be as creative as these authors? He is sucking the life out of this franchise and I am inclined to think it is purposeful.
I copied this from a guy who just reviewed Covenant and I agree with him 100%: "The problems with this film are vast, but some struck me more than others. For one, it actually felt amateur. Considering Ridley Scott made the iconic origin film, it's hard to understand how tragically he has failed to grasp what makes the Alien film great. There is no slow burn atmosphere here. No tension build up. No creepiness to the xenomorph itself. It just fails to do anything that the predecessors do". Perhaps it is time for me to rewatch Aliens once again, lol

Old 05-22-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I agree with others that the trailer looks great but we shall see how it turns out.

What made the original so good was that it was just as much a sci fi as it was horror. We didn't get a good look at the creature which added to the overall mystery of what it was. Of course CGI has made huge strides but we don't always need to see the creature in amazing high definition to be frightened by it.
I think with this remake we are going to see more of a sci fi shootem up then a sci fi horror.
Yeah...NO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies