Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2012, 09:51 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,279,325 times

Advertisements

During our wheat harvest I got to see several little fawns. We often have to wait for them to get out of the way of our combine. They were really tiny this year but our harvest is running ahead of schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 11:54 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,251,590 times
Beautiful pics, everyone! I like this thread!

Old 06-09-2012, 02:16 PM

3,961 posts, read 2,574,285 times
Do you see the bird under the trailer??

Me either! The birds fly up there (under there!!) so fast!

But below I did catch one! Do you see him now?

Up close!

Attached Thumbnails
Tell me your nature observations!-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg   Tell me your nature observations!-aaaaaaaaaaa.jpg   Tell me your nature observations!-xxxxxxxxxxx.jpg  

Old 06-09-2012, 04:23 PM

I did find the bird in the 2nd pic! I saw your other posts about layoff. Sorry about that. Your positivity, never-give-up attitude and humor always shines through here on CD and I'm sure it does even more so in person. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for another paying job right away! And if you spare a dollar for a lotto ticket, hope you're a winner!

Below is my nature observation from a few minutes ago. It's a dreary gray day but something had the cat's attention. So grabbed camera and pic was shot through glass and also the lanai screen. This is the best touchup I could manage. My bird knowledge is limited but I'm guessing a hawk, ya think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
Do you see the bird under the trailer??

Me either! The birds fly up there (under there!!) so fast!

But below I did catch one! Do you see him now?

Up close!

Old 06-10-2012, 11:37 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
^
Does look like a hawk.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:33 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Pretty bird DK! My first thought was hawk also.. Can't make out it's beak.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:19 PM

Hawks circling around the foliage and trees between me and the lake is a regular thing. I had a good pic of one just a few feet from the lanai chowing down on something it had caught but can't find that pic. There must be lots of interesting edible stuff in all the bushes. They often screech when zooming off after something and also screech while circling. Seems like that would warn whatever they were after but maybe it's a territorial thing. Get off my land! That rabbit is mine!

Today on the drive to Wally World, there were two herons on the grass just over the curb on a main busy street. Hate when I see that. They were busy eating something in the grass and all soaked with our rainy weather here in sometimes sunny Florida. It is so humid today, walking outside is like a slap in the face with a hot towel. Even skinny people like me feel sticky by the time we get from store to car. But since I'm from Dallas, that's nothing new!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Pretty bird DK! My first thought was hawk also.. Can't make out it's beak.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:13 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,897 times
At 4:10:30 a.m. every morning, some little birds fly by my bedroom window, chirping. I've yet to see them, because I am usually busy. I need to make an effort.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:22 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
My request for a nature forum was turned down, was told to post in science....but no one posts bird, animal, rock, tree, etc posts there!
Today I saw a Yellow-billed cuckoo...brown w/long tail that has tear-shaped white spots...very secretive bird, I was happy to see one.
And: pair of Downy woodpeckers and 2 juvenile Red-bellied woodpeckers cavorting in the trees. Dragonflies galore.......lots of yellow-orange-red blooming lantana in my area now.
What have you observed recently about our natural world?
gbh
We have been plagued this year with birds. First, we had robins who built their nest in our wisteria vine that hangs on our lower deck. When our pit bull would go outside, she would sniff the nest. She didn't touch anything, just kinda curious. The Robins tortured her for about 2-3 months non stop..swooping and screaming at her. One of them, the male would ruffle his head feathers mohawk style. My husband called him "Mohawk". So, the babies leave the nest, my husband trims the Wisteria and removes the nest and along come the Mockingbirds who are far more aggressive than the Robins and continuously bother the pit bull. We ignore the Mockingbirds for the most part but now have discovered that a mama rabbit has built a nest at the base of our firebushes out where the pit bull roams. Mind you, this is a special big yard we fenced in for the pit bull only. The other day, she goes outside and mama bunny and probably 6 babies all come flying out of the bottom of this bush..bunnies everywhere. My husband is panic stricken the pit bull will hurt the bunnies...she doesn't but just chases them. AGAIN yesterday, out from the bottom of the bush comes mama bunny with the pit bull on her tail..doesn't hurt mama bunny but chases her big time. All this turmoil out in the pit bull's yard is making her a wreck. She doesn't want to walk on the grass and I have to go outside with her when she gets ready to poo or pee. How do I calm this situation down and keep the bunnies out of the yard??

Old 06-11-2012, 06:05 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Ok, I got one for you. I was advised to go and treat myself today after a rough interview. Here's what happened when I did that:

Pulling out of my driveway today to get food, I saw something that caused me to look harder. As I approached, I realized what it was. I was bothered that it didn’t run away. I got out of my car, walked up to it and still it didn’t run away. That’s when I realized, this is a baby squirrel and it looks like it’s hurt.

So, after standing there for a moment or two, my mind racing trying to figure out what I could do to help, I ran inside, got my gardening gloves on, (knowing full well they were pointless in protection), grabbed a handful of peanuts and went back out.

The little baby still didn’t try to run away. I tossed a peanut at it. It sniffed for a moment, tried to eat it but it was a little too big. I picked out another peanut, this time one that was broken in half and tossed that to the baby squirrel. Baby picked it up and slowly started to eat. Huzzah! That’s a good sign!

As it ate, I noticed it was very wobbly, couldn’t really control its balance at all times and looked like it had been injured somehow. I figured maybe it fell out of a tree or got in a fight or something...but it was sitting on the black top of the driveway, looking like it was about to lose the battle.

Well. We just can’t sit back and let that happen!

I threw more peanuts at it, poked its back, (no reaction), and then scooped it up and put it in a box I had gone back inside to retrieve. I then put the baby squirrel, now in the box, in my car.

Where the hell do I go?

I went and got some food while I thought about it, asked people if they knew about any wildlife rehab center, (no one did), got the squirrel some fruit to wash down the peanuts and then decided to head on over to the local police station. What the hell else do I do?

Got there, talked to a fireman and he gave me a number to call. Called that number, connected to state police who took my information, (and seriously, why the hell do they need to know my date of birth when I’m reporting a baby squirrel? Really?), who then said he would give my info to a game warden.

Game Warden. PERFECT!

About 10 minutes later, the Game Warden called me and discussed this little squirrel with me. His concern was absolute proof that the mother was dead. I informed him that just last week, on the road right outside my driveway, someone had hit and killed an adult squirrel. I can’t prove that was the mother but this sure was an amazing coincidence.

I agree with them that we should let the wild stay in the wild and that even though it can be a rough life, the quality of life is better in the wild for wild animals. I also agree that in rehab, the animals can get stressed and often times don’t make it. And he understood where I was coming from that this little baby was pretty darn vulnerable at this point.

So, what he wants me to do is later tonight, around 9ish, take it back to the part of the driveway I found it in, gently place it back, and wait and see, (meaning I go back in the house), if the mother comes to get it. The tricky part is, this vulnerable thing will have to worry about owls, dogs, cats, any other predators as it sits there, unprotected, injured, a baby, while waiting to see if mama comes back.

UGH!

It’s not going to be an easy night.

IF baby squirrel is still there tomorrow, I call the Game Warden back, he will come out and pick up the baby and they will try to rehabilitate it before setting it back out in the wild.

We shall see what happens. Nature can be so beautiful and so vicious and unforgiving at the same time.

Of course, there’s a part of me that daydreams about having a pet squirrel. I KNOW, I said it was a daydream, ok?

Wanna see him?

Isn’t he/she CUTE?!!!!!! Dawwwwwwwwwwww.

Here’s another:

I know I couldn’t keep it. First of all, it’s just as dangerous IN the house for this baby squirrel, (dogs and cats), as it is outside. Hardly any of my doors in this house close and the ones that do, Casper, the cat, has figured out how to open them. (Lovely.) So, where would I keep this baby? I don’t have a cage, I don’t have any place to keep it protected from the predators that live inside my house.

Also...rabies thing. Also, not sure I’m allowed to have a wild animal as a pet in “city” limits.

Also...if this one can get strong and just survive and live outside, that would be better. I just hate to see a baby animal not get a chance, ya know? I’ll keep you updated.

Finally, I noticed this when I was taking photos of him...if you look at his little right arm/paw in the second photo, you can see some blood. Not sure if it's a bite or an abrasion or what it is, but yes, I was right, he somehow got injured. I'm so afraid to let him out alone for the night but I have to trust the Game Warden on this. Sigh. Be strong little baby squirrel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature