Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 06:38 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,251,590 times

Advertisements

^^^Now I'm feeling sad along with you, Three Wolves In Snow. But all considered, I suppose what the game warden has advised is the best thing to do. Good luck, baby squirrel!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 06:57 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
^^^Now I'm feeling sad along with you, Three Wolves In Snow. But all considered, I suppose what the game warden has advised is the best thing to do. Good luck, baby squirrel!
Baby needs lots of luck! Thanks!

Also, re: your photo of the hawk. Your location is FL. I used to work in the Everglades of FL and I'll bet you that is a red shouldered hawk. Looks just like one.

Edit: Update on baby squirrel. I took him outside once things "quieted down" just like the Game Warden said. It has been highly unsuccessful. Baby squirrel is having none of this, "leave me outside" business. First time I tried, he kept hopping back in the box. Second time, I successfully got him to go in to the brush. I heard him walking around, making all kinds of racket. I started to walk back to my door and the next thing I knew, I heard him making his little noise right behind me.

The little bugger was following me back to the house!

He did NOT want to be left out there. UGH! I'll have to try again. I have no idea if he's going to sit on my porch all night or what. I'm thinking if he does survive, the Game Warden will be coming out tomorrow to rehabilitate an injured baby squirrel. I have not "bonded" with this squirrel at all. All I did was approach it, realized it was on its way to death, (it was hot today and being on black top plus whatever injury it has, it wasn't looking good), scooped him up, (not using my hands), put him in a box, gave him a bit of food to rehydrate and get some substance to give him a fighting chance, got in touch with a Game Warden and baby squirrel has been sitting in a box this entire time. He's content in there, doesn't try to get out, can't really get out, frankly, at this point, can't really walk that well, (but he sure tried when he followed me back to my door), and doesn't want to leave. I haven't been petting him or even talking to him...except when it was time to release him and I told him he wasn't cooperating.

I think his mother is dead and he knows his mother is dead. Oy.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 06-11-2012 at 08:11 PM..

Old 06-11-2012, 10:50 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times
Turn the box on its sideand put a couple of rocks also in it to keep it held down. Also give it some water too drink.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Turn the box on its sideand put a couple of rocks also in it to keep it held down. Also give it some water too drink.
The Game Warden told me to take everything away from the squirrel that might have my scent on it or the mother would not come get the baby. While I know boxes may not be as absorbent as blankets, this box has been in my house for awhile because the cats like to sit in it and pretend...whatever they are pretending. So it's got "house and human" scent on it, for sure.

I have faith he'll be ok. I just hope the Warden comes out tomorrow and takes care of it...even if to just let it grow up a little bit first. I looked at some photos online and my guess is that this baby is about 9-10 weeks old. Still kinda young.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:57 AM

Having that injured wild baby squirrel follow gives the heart a twinge. I have lots of work to do but checking in to see what the morning brings. Got my fingers crossed for baby squirrel.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:40 AM

Well. I called the Game Warden back. Waiting for them to call me back or come over, who knows.

What I do know is baby squirrel was lying out there, IN the open, like a MORON, and when it saw me, it didn't necessarily want to follow me but it was mighty upset that I was leaving it out there. It made its little noises. I told him he was an idiot for lying out there, yes, not sitting, lying, in the open, for all the predators to see.

"Listen, kid, you're being a real dumba** right now. Get in the damn bushes, at least!"

No. He did not want to do that.

If I was there, next to him, he sat up and talked but if I walked away, he sprawled out again as if to say, "Fine, I'll just give up the fight to live".

Fercriminy'ssake squirrel!

I finally got the fricken box again and let him climb in it and left that outside, somewhat covered. Not the best solution, no, but it's better than him sprawled out, spread eagle, on the damn pavement, just waiting for something to pick him off.

And I wish the Game Warden would hurry the hell up and rescue him. CLEARLY, there is no mother around. And clearly the little baby can't really do a lot of walking, doesn't seem to be able to climb that well, and really, really does NOT like being left alone.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:14 AM

If you had a small dog crate, baby squirrel could recover in it. Once it's healed it will be happy to dash up the trees outside and carry on with things and less likely to get eaten. Just thinking....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Well. I called the Game Warden back. Waiting for them to call me back or come over, who knows.

What I do know is baby squirrel was lying out there, IN the open, like a MORON, and when it saw me, it didn't necessarily want to follow me but it was mighty upset that I was leaving it out there. It made its little noises. I told him he was an idiot for lying out there, yes, not sitting, lying, in the open, for all the predators to see.

"Listen, kid, you're being a real dumba** right now. Get in the damn bushes, at least!"

No. He did not want to do that.

If I was there, next to him, he sat up and talked but if I walked away, he sprawled out again as if to say, "Fine, I'll just give up the fight to live".

Fercriminy'ssake squirrel!

I finally got the fricken box again and let him climb in it and left that outside, somewhat covered. Not the best solution, no, but it's better than him sprawled out, spread eagle, on the damn pavement, just waiting for something to pick him off.

And I wish the Game Warden would hurry the hell up and rescue him. CLEARLY, there is no mother around. And clearly the little baby can't really do a lot of walking, doesn't seem to be able to climb that well, and really, really does NOT like being left alone.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
If you had a small dog crate, baby squirrel could recover in it. Once it's healed it will be happy to dash up the trees outside and carry on with things and less likely to get eaten. Just thinking....
I do have a cat carrier...I didn't even think of that! Maybe I'll do that. It's been two hours, no call back from the Game Warden. I'm starting to think they don't give a damn. Well, I do. All creatures deserve a chance. I'm not trying to make this squirrel a pet...I just want it to recover, build up strength and be able to make it on its own. As it stands, this little thing is not going to make it through the week the way he's acting.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:32 AM

Exactly! Years ago, I rescued an injured squirrel in my garden. I made lots of calls and finally was told to take it to a particular clinic that would take care of it then set it free. I made a long drive to the clinic. Gave it to a man who listened to my story. He said he would take it to an exam room and take a look. He came back out quickly and said, "Oh, it just died." He had something of a smirk on his face and I knew he had just killed it. Awful.

We just want the baby squirrel to have a chance. That's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I do have a cat carrier...I didn't even think of that! Maybe I'll do that. It's been two hours, no call back from the Game Warden. I'm starting to think they don't give a damn. Well, I do. All creatures deserve a chance. I'm not trying to make this squirrel a pet...I just want it to recover, build up strength and be able to make it on its own. As it stands, this little thing is not going to make it through the week the way he's acting.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Exactly! Years ago, I rescued an injured squirrel in my garden. I made lots of calls and finally was told to take it to a particular clinic that would take care of it then set it free. I made a long drive to the clinic. Gave it to a man who listened to my story. He said he would take it to an exam room and take a look. He came back out quickly and said, "Oh, it just died." He had something of a smirk on his face and I knew he had just killed it. Awful.

We just want the baby squirrel to have a chance. That's all.
I can't say what I want to say about that person without getting a mark against me or banned.

If baby squirrel is still out there when I get home, I'll get the cat carrier. I'm ticked the Game Warden hasn't called. Maybe he's not on yet, or maybe they didn't pass the message on. Who knows. Maybe no one else cares but I want this little one to have a chance with minimal contact by people. So, perhaps a cat carrier is the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature