Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2018, 09:10 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
My husband brought all our turkey scraps after Thanksgiving (carcass, skin, ect) across the road into the open field and left them there yesterday. Everything was gone today. There is a family of foxes over there.. They had a special dinner also. ;-)

I usually make turkey soup, but it's so cold here that it's better to share. (better to share even if it's not cold, actually)

While this does look like a nicety on the surface I have to say yet again that leaving food out that attracts predators is just not a good idea. Even if left in more isolated places such offerings can still give a predator a taste for easy (and tasty) pickings and induce trash digging behavior and other nuisance actions.

A lot of urban transplants here are finding that out the hard way on the West side of town which butts up to the mountains. There has been an uptick of bear and coyote problems there resulting in resident complaints. Then come to find out a lot of people there have been putting out food. And they can't understand why the critters have become a problem.

Animal Control, the Dept of Wildlife and even the Humane Society have taken on a wildlife awareness campaign here locally to educate people about putting out food, especially for predators. Also more scavenger oriented critters like raccoons, skunks, and even porcuipines can and will become issue. Little heard fact about porckies. They LOVE salty stuff. Items like bacon/bacon grease, ham, brines, and even certain types of wood etc that are very salty in nature drive them nuts.

The wild critter olfactory sense being what it is will see them come from miles away if they catch a whiff of the salty succulents. Same with coons and polecats but the porckies REALLY dig the salty stuff. I learned this while out on a sojourn in the Jackson mountains North of here. I was cooking up some bacon and beans over my fire and a Porky came shuffling in to sit a spell. I tossed him some dried apples I had (which he eventually nibbled on) but he was really a lot more interested in my bacon the smell of which had to be filling his nose.

At the time I didn't know this but my buddy filled me in about porckies and salt. So I tossed Mr. Porky a strip of bacon to see and he immediately proceeded to gobble with gusto. Learn something new everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 11:04 AM

1,558 posts, read 1,158,896 times
I know that what you say is absolutely correct, NVplumber. Thank you for the reminder and for spelling out the reasons so clearly. The hardships that wild animals endure as a result of humans in general often makes me feel that a helping hand once in a while makes sense.. But I suppose it does not.

May I add that the field referenced in my post is literally miles deep and miles wide. Therefore, there is little to no opportunity for trash digging. But of course by the same token, there are also likely plenty of little rodents for hunting. Thus the foxes will do better over the long term without our interference.

On another note, we saw a juvenile bald eagle over the weekend.. It may be the same one we had in our yard (with a mature one) over this past winter, feasting on a dead deer carcass that must have fallen and been killed by coyotes after breaking a leg running in the deep snow one night. The eagle had a lovely smooth flight... and when it set itself down in a tree way up high it was still very big.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1543255161
Attached Thumbnails
Tell me your nature observations!-wp_20181124_001.jpg  

Old 11-26-2018, 11:26 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
I know that what you say is absolutely correct, NVplumber. Thank you for the reminder and for spelling out the reasons so clearly. The hardships that wild animals endure as a result of humans in general often makes me feel that a helping hand once in a while makes sense.. But I suppose it does not.

May I add that the field referenced in my post is literally miles deep and miles wide. Therefore, there is little to no opportunity for trash digging. But of course by the same token, there are also likely plenty of little rodents for hunting. Thus the foxes will do better over the long term without our interference.

On another note, we saw a juvenile bald eagle over the weekend.. It may be the same one we had in our yard (with a mature one) over this past winter, feasting on a dead deer carcass that must have fallen and been killed by coyotes after breaking a leg running in the deep snow one night. The eagle had a lovely smooth flight... and when it set itself down in a tree way up high it was still very big.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1543255161

Good post lm521....still, I like your idea about sharing leftovers if it's deep in nature...was that on your new property?

He fed bacon to a wild animal, he said in his post, while camping...no difference there.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Good post lm521....still, I like your idea about sharing leftovers if it's deep in nature...was that on your new property?

He fed bacon to a wild animal, he said in his post, while camping...no difference there.

True enough. I seriously doubt that leaving some scraps in the field she mentioned really did any harm. Any more than scraps to porky did way out in the middle of nowhere. The folks here in town that I mentioned...different story. I wasn't meaning to chastise so much as just bring up what feeding wild animals can bring nearer to more congested surroundings.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:45 PM

1,665 posts, read 975,576 times
Some color!

Beginning in November, wife and I took a trip to Eureka Springs, AR. We've been craving for some fall colors and we were impressed!! Was the first time we saw orange foliage and it was beautiful. And the mountains. Oh my!

Being back home, noticing some color here in SWLA. Granted, not as much as up north. Some gold and red. Almost time to go to the bayou and check out my favorite spot. There's a Bald Cypress with moss that sticks out. Classic Louisiana scene.

At the house, nothing much happening. A bonfire is long overdue. Possible on the forecast tomorrow evening. Depending on the weather. We've been getting a lot of rain lately and the ground has been soggy. The goats are getting a shaggy coat. The turkeys and guinea roosts on the porch railing. I don't mind, there's been hawks flying around lately. I just gotta spray off the doo doo in the mornings. I'm still waiting to see some rabbits. They usually are out and about. Until Missy, our 4 legged daughter, decides to chase them.

Down the roads, there's crawfish and rice fields with water. I need to start bringing the camera. Been seeing ducks. Few quail pop up too. With the morning mist and fog on some days, the fields and woods are hauntingly beautiful. Another place I check out is an old bridge. The crossing was used during the Civil War. Troops crossed the bayou there on way to Nibletts Bluff, from Opelousas and other areas. And return trips I'm sure. It's called Vie Terre Beau. (V ta bo) Or sometimes spelled Vitterbo. It's a wooden bridge. Get loads of photos there.

That's about all I've observed so far. Next few days is the process of setting up Christmas Decorations!!!

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!!!

Old 11-26-2018, 06:05 PM

1,558 posts, read 1,158,896 times
All good points. Deep in the field, which is pretty deep in nature. An unworked old dairy farm that really does go far and wide for at least a couple of miles.

The best nature is undisturbed nature.. Just too darn many of us humans around...

Who saw the report on the news tonight about the winning photos from the 2018 best nature photography contest? If you google it, they'll come up on a Smithsonian blog page. They are really beautiful.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
All good points. Deep in the field, which is pretty deep in nature. An unworked old dairy farm that really does go far and wide for at least a couple of miles.

The best nature is undisturbed nature.. Just too darn many of us humans around...

Who saw the report on the news tonight about the winning photos from the 2018 best nature photography contest? If you google it, they'll come up on a Smithsonian blog page. They are really beautiful.

Since I was just a shave tail kid I've been out in the scrub and interacting with animals. Bot wild and domestic. And I still have much to learn. Ive seen both types do things that many people have told me are not possible. The visit from Mr Porky I mentioned was just one of tens of thousands of experiences that taught me something. In that case porkies love for salt. It was entertaining.

He just waddled in and sat outside the fire light and copped a happy squat. Way out in Gods country and he just had no fear. Porkies , coons, skunks all the way up to apex critters like mountain lions I have seen do things that just left me scratching my head. Even insects and critters like scorpions have seen me doing the same.

I watched a great big green scorpion pursue my ex across the drive way and put her on the hood of my truck. Another time I saw a dragonfly hover down in front of a spiders web and pick off a small bug in the web. Totally cool. I've learned not to underestimate the capabilities of critters. They will surprise you every time.

Even my horses, dogs and cats have done things that amazed me. When out in the scrub I relied heavily on my horse and my dog to keep me out of trouble.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:14 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Ours used to live under a flower head. But now they have almost gone, I think it has moved further into the plants as I have not seen the spider for a few days. It has not repaired it's web neither, but that may be because it is too cold.

But it was interesting to see what it caught. Several wasps, several ladybirds (one escaped), 1 mosquito, 1 small spider, and a few other small insects. Fortunately the bees seemed to be able to avoid the web because we had many bees visiting the flowers, but I did not see any in the web.

I do not know what you call it in the US (or if you have them), but this is ours.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araneus_diadematus
That looks a bit like what I would call a barn spider here. Here's what my MN jumping spider looks like:

Minnesota Spiders: Female Jumping Spider (Sitticus fasciger)

They are supposed to have excellent vision. Haven't seen her lately and thinking maybe I can clean up the window now.

I know it's wrong. I know, I know. But the idea of the fox having Thanksgiving dinner is pretty appealing.

We once had an infestation of skunks under our porch after leaving out food. The only way we could get rid of them was by putting lutefisk under there. Drove 'em right out.

Now we have an infestation of Norwegians living under our porch.

Good news. I saw my white eared mutant squirrel this week. So glad he's still with us.

You are right, NV Plumber. You see the most amazing things when you take time to hold still and watch. I feel so lucky to have time to take in all the gifts that are everywhere.

When I was a kid I used to lie on my stomach in the summertime and watch a community of ants go about their business for what seemed like hours. A whole little city of cooperative citizens right under my nose!

Old 11-28-2018, 09:33 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
That looks a bit like what I would call a barn spider here. Here's what my MN jumping spider looks like:

Minnesota Spiders: Female Jumping Spider (Sitticus fasciger)

They are supposed to have excellent vision. Haven't seen her lately and thinking maybe I can clean up the window now.

I know it's wrong. I know, I know. But the idea of the fox having Thanksgiving dinner is pretty appealing.

We once had an infestation of skunks under our porch after leaving out food. The only way we could get rid of them was by putting lutefisk under there. Drove 'em right out.

Now we have an infestation of Norwegians living under our porch.

Good news. I saw my white eared mutant squirrel this week. So glad he's still with us.

You are right, NV Plumber. You see the most amazing things when you take time to hold still and watch. I feel so lucky to have time to take in all the gifts that are everywhere.

When I was a kid I used to lie on my stomach in the summertime and watch a community of ants go about their business for what seemed like hours. A whole little city of cooperative citizens right under my nose!

Love reading your posts....

There was an orb spider I watched last summer. A flying insect was caught in his net. He then very purposely came over and rolled and rolled that insect in the web until I guess it died. The next day the entire web was gone...

Old 11-29-2018, 05:24 AM

1,665 posts, read 975,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Love reading your posts....

There was an orb spider I watched last summer. A flying insect was caught in his net. He then very purposely came over and rolled and rolled that insect in the web until I guess it died. The next day the entire web was gone...
Spiders...We have lots of them.

We have a lot of the black hairy ones with metallic green fronts. I need to get a good picture of one. Hoping with the camera on my phone. Can get a good picture with our regular camera, but the problem with that is d'loading and loading it onto sites, etc...don't have net at home. I guess we need to start looking into Hughs or something. Was graced last year with an orb spider. Don't have many at home, but at a farm I work at, there's many. Beautiful arachnids they are! Also saw a Black Widow at home. By luck and chance, I guess. Was the first and only lady I seen in the wild.

Most times at night, I use my hand held light and scan the yard. We see jewels in the yard and driveway. Shining bright. Upon closer inspection, the jewels were spider eyes. We would go walk around and look closely. Wife don't like spiders but she likes the way their eyes light up.

Also our goats eyes light up. What's really freaky is when we use the night vision and look at them. Shady dark silhouettes with these bright eyes. Kinda like something out of a horror movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature