Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2008, 07:49 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
Some people have a need to tear sombody else down..

I fully appreciate rural Nebraska as it is a lifeblood for the state, and the nation, and even other nations..

Same with Omaha, we have some very highly respected corporations here, not just some rich corporations, but very reckognizable and respected companies..

Nebraska is rich, and it begins with the worker, and those of you out there in rural Nebraska working all day feeding the world and doing it with pride represents the very best of human nature.

Another thing is that, rural Nebraska has some of the most awesome scenery, not just the sand hills, badlands, the buttes way out west, the rolling hills all the way to the Loess Hills, There is not a single part of this state that I am not proud of and wouldn't trade a single part of this state for anything that exists out there in the world, I am a Nebraskan and I love it!
Just drove Chadron to Omaha yesterday and I was again reminded of what you wrote... its so geographically diverse... I never get bored with the drive (as long as you stay off the interstate)...

I like to take Hwy's 92, 2, & 385 on one leg of the trip and Hwy's 275 & 20 the other leg of the trip - didn't get to do that this time due to the snow storm (global warming yah know)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 01:58 PM

76 posts, read 195,377 times
Gibbon is Nebraska’s worst town. First thing you notice about Gibbon is the odor—that horrible smell from the beef packing plant, Gibbon’s largest employer. As if the beef pack isn’t enough, Gibbon also has a turkey packing plant. There was a Carnegie Public Library in Gibbon, a charming brick structure built by Andrew Carnegie nearly 100 years ago. It was one of the only historically significant buildings in town. So the people of Gibbon tore it down. Gibbon’s school system is dreadful. Drugs abound, thanks in part to the packing plant progeny. Teen pregnancies are commonplace, with a hefty percentage of GHS girls getting pregnant before leaving highschool. Very few GHS graduates go on to achieve any sort of higher education. How many physicians or other professional degrees have you produced lately, GHS? But at least GHS has a nice new high school building so the teachers can relax in their nice new teacher’s lounge. Of course Gibbon’s property taxes have gone through the roof now to pay for this ineffectual educational edifice. The high property taxes don't bother the illegal immigrants who swarm to Gibbon for choice jobs on the kill floor of the packing plant—they don’t own any property. Gibbon even has traffic, well, sort of. Gibbon is divided by one of the busiest sections of railroad in the country, Union Pacific’s main east-west connector serving the northern half of the U.S. So you can count on a freight train rumbling through the middle of town every ten minutes or so, 24-7, 365 days a year. Gibbon used to call itself smile city. But there isn’t much to smile about these days in Gibbon. Then again, what would you expect from a town named after a monkey?

Old 05-13-2008, 02:09 PM

18 posts, read 86,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARNYOU View Post

Go figuire... OH and Stay Away from Laurel,NE
LOL We live somewhat near Laurel and I had to chuckle. Granted, there are not a lot of places to eat there. Even bigger towns like Wayne don't have a lot of choice places to eat- just fast food. I always have to pack food/lunches for ball games, because you never know if there will be food available.

I hear a lot of good things about the HILLTOP CAFE, on HWY 81 just off the junction with 20, near Randolph.

I have also heard nice things about Allen's VILLAGE INN. I guess they have a mean prime rib.

There is a place in Yankton that people talk about, but I can't remember the name.

Warning* I haven't ate at the above- so I personally can't guarantee it.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:30 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejeanbaby View Post
LOL We live somewhat near Laurel and I had to chuckle. Granted, there are not a lot of places to eat there. Even bigger towns like Wayne don't have a lot of choice places to eat- just fast food. I always have to pack food/lunches for ball games, because you never know if there will be food available.

I hear a lot of good things about the HILLTOP CAFE, on HWY 81 just off the junction with 20, near Randolph.

I have also heard nice things about Allen's VILLAGE INN. I guess they have a mean prime rib.

There is a place in Yankton that people talk about, but I can't remember the name.

Warning* I haven't ate at the above- so I personally can't guarantee it.
Its been a few years, but Hilltop Cafe was good last time I ate there... wouldn't go out of my way and travel 30 minutes to get there, but if in the area would not hesitate to stop...

Old 05-13-2008, 07:46 PM

6 posts, read 19,673 times
the worse town in nebraska is scribner it is like living in hell everyday!!!If you aren't from here forget it. no matter how many times I smile, hold open doors, wave I just get glared at. One grown man that lives here offered a 13 year old boy money to beat up my 11 year old son, who is much smaller and then he had a group of boys lure him to a trampolone and acted like they were accidentally falling so they could hit my son in the head and kick him in the stomach and in the privates. BEWARE OF THIS HORRIBLY RUDE and HILLBILLY HICK TOWN !!!!!!

Old 05-13-2008, 07:51 PM

I hear You I wish I could get the h___ out of this rotten state NEBRASKA STINKS!!!!

Old 05-13-2008, 07:57 PM

the race track is closed so now they don't have anything to offer except attitude and it isn't positive attitude. Scribner is the most depressing place I have ever lived I have never been so unhappy about living somewhere and the school system is rotten

Old 05-13-2008, 08:21 PM

Oh whatever small town people are the biggest a--holes ever they could care less about people from a big city. and if you try making living improvements they really raise h--- I just paid 60 dollars for pet license but I can't even get the ditch dug ou or cemented so every time i check my mail after it rains i have o to jump over huge puddles to get to my mailbox and every time i try to pull out of my driveway i have to make sure i don't run in to the unused power pole that they won't cut down next to my driveway. scribner people are the laziest, party animal that could care less about global warming or improving the earth and they also have no regard for animals some drunk guy speeding down the road kills my dog and the town cop doesn't even write the local a ticket, but i run a stop sign because they are too lazy to fix it and its bent in toward the ditch and can't be fully seen the out of towner gets a over 100 dollar ticket and the cop did see the uy hit my dog he was right behind him JERKS

Old 05-13-2008, 08:27 PM

oh yeah just try living in one of the small towns in nebraska - totally different they are stuck on prejudice and stupidity and can't even think about changing one iota

Old 05-13-2008, 08:32 PM

oh you must be just another person who hasn't encountered the wrong end of rural nebraska jerks I agree with the guy who said being in a town in nebraska isn't living at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska