Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2008, 08:56 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,175,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
and sorry to hear that you've been sick. Dare, I love your suggestion for garlic and ginger root. Ginger is very warming, and I add it to many things. I make a ginger syrup that I like to add to my water bottles

buggaboo, you asked about our remodeling, and I wish I had an exciting project to share with you, but this one was a matter of safety. We needed to have the entire roof structure of an addition replaced, due to sub-standard work by the previous home-owner. What I'd really like to do is have some walls taken down and the kitchen replaced, but not this year One interior and one exterior project each year is our limit. Hopefully next winter I'll get my new kitchen! Oh speaking of kitchens, I'll go grab my Whoopie Pie recipe and start a thread
Valerie - My son used to make carrot juice with fresh ginger root with our jucer when he was in high school - he loved it and got me hooked on it too...Fresh ginger seems to be good for so many things.

Good luck with what sounds like an on-going project with your home renovations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 01:49 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,196,641 times
Thumbs up Hello Valerie C!! Thank You!!

THANK YOU!

Hi Valerie!

Thank You for your message & nice wishes! I appreciate it!

By the way, Valerie how do you make your GINGER SYRUP???

Thank You everyone for the nice messages! You all are AMAZING!!

Take care,

Countrylv22

Quote:
and sorry to hear that you've been sick. Dare, I love your suggestion for garlic and ginger root. Ginger is very warming, and I add it to many things. I make a ginger syrup that I like to add to my water bottles

buggaboo, you asked about our remodeling, and I wish I had an exciting project to share with you, but this one was a matter of safety. We needed to have the entire roof structure of an addition replaced, due to sub-standard work by the previous home-owner. What I'd really like to do is have some walls taken down and the kitchen replaced, but not this year One interior and one exterior project each year is our limit. Hopefully next winter I'll get my new kitchen! Oh speaking of kitchens, I'll go grab my Whoopie Pie recipe and start a thread

Old 02-10-2008, 06:39 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,451,364 times
yes, how do you make your ginger syrup?
enquiring minds want to know

Old 02-11-2008, 06:21 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,944,147 times
Default Ginger Sryup

Very easy. It's a regular "simple syrup", to which I add several pieces of peeled ginger root. I'll post the recipe in the recipe thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:46 AM

2,392 posts, read 2,540,198 times
Quote:
Safety is always a good home improvement...this way you'll still have a home & a kitchen to remodel in the future. Now you have more time to plan & dream about what you want for next year!

Thank you again for the whoopie pie recipe.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
It was so funny to see how "ingrained" with NY driving ways he was. I'm sure we were when we first moved up here, but it was nice to be reminded again of the huge difference...

He has been able to see for himself now and is totally blown away by everything - how we are more relaxed and happy, that the area really does have "charm" and how different things really are........
Dare, this is awesome to read. When I moved from L.I. to NH about 15 yrs ago my stress level reduced so much I thought I'd added a few years to my life! Maybe your friend will consider a move?

Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
Dare, this is awesome to read. When I moved from L.I. to NH about 15 yrs ago my stress level reduced so much I thought I'd added a few years to my life! Maybe your friend will consider a move?

Thanks for sharing.
Hi Lisa - I think he would relocate in a heartbeat, but his wife is not a snow/cold person and needs her "NYC-fix" periodically. He's more laid back and loves snow and cold....they are a couple who define "opposites attract." They've been married over 20 years, so it works for them!

Hubby and I both felt the reduced stress level when we moved - I had an easier time adjusting to the "slower pace" than he did, but he's learned.....

Old 02-12-2008, 09:35 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,258 times
I am looking forward to that calmness and slower pace of life. Anything that will help to calm me down, is just what I need. Life in So Cali can be very stressful. Driving is the worst, my god, these people just speed, speed, speed. I do get scared while driving, cuz I am not a fast driver, never was, and people just blow right by me. And forget the freeway. We always joke out here, that for our weather, it is cloudy with a chance of drive-by, as in a drive by shooting. The freeways are nuts. But I will admit that the cold does have my hubby kind of nervous. So we will see. My hubby and I are opposites too. He is the social butterfly, and I would love to sit back and read by the fire. I am out doorsy too, but not to the extent he is. I always tell him, that is why NH would be great for him, as there are so many activities that we could do.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
I am looking forward to that calmness and slower pace of life. Anything that will help to calm me down, is just what I need. Life in So Cali can be very stressful. Driving is the worst, my god, these people just speed, speed, speed. I do get scared while driving, cuz I am not a fast driver, never was, and people just blow right by me. And forget the freeway. We always joke out here, that for our weather, it is cloudy with a chance of drive-by, as in a drive by shooting. The freeways are nuts. But I will admit that the cold does have my hubby kind of nervous. So we will see. My hubby and I are opposites too. He is the social butterfly, and I would love to sit back and read by the fire. I am out doorsy too, but not to the extent he is. I always tell him, that is why NH would be great for him, as there are so many activities that we could do.
Hi Suzet - I've never been to Cali so never had to drive there <g>....but just the change from NY was amazing. We're further north than Keene, so I'm sure our traffic is less than Keene, but I would imagine Keene and surrounding areas would have less traffic than Cali. Up here we use I-91 and I-93 a lot, depending on where we're going and yeah, there's traffic on them, but nothing like the NYS Thruway.

With the cold, it took me time to get used to it and frankly, if we had had to live in the house we rented for another month, I would probably have been outta NH and back in NY. It's one thing to have the cold and be outside and "layered up" but when you have to "layer up" inside all day long, that's another story!

When you do come to NH, take your time to find a place that has good insulation and that will be warm in the winter. Keene has been cold this year, so it will take you and your hubby time to get used to it. From watching the news, Keene had a lot more snow than we did earlier in the winter - not sure how much snow they've been getting lately, we've had snow almost every day this past week. Keene and other points south of us have more ice than we do, which is also something for you to keep in mind. I don't know how accurate the weather people are in the Keene area - up here they aren't very good <g>. We've had 2 or 3 times when they've predicted 6-10 inches and we got maybe 2 or 3. I suspect that may be because of the topography of the area, but I'm not a meterologist so I don't know.

All that being said, I was used to snow and ice from our previous location and it could get cold there, as well, but not as cold as up here. Once your hubby gets "into" the area, there are many things he can do outside, even in the winter....there's the obvious skiing, snow-shoeing, cross-country skiing and of course snowmobiling which is big, at least up here, not sure about Keene. Up here, and again, I don't know about the Keene area, there's even one of those indoor golf places where people can go and "play" golf in the winter (that kinda blew my mind way up here <g>).

If you can get him to come here with an open mind and learn to dress properly, he would probably get used to things quickly. Right now most of us are tired of winter, and not just "transplants" - even those who have lived here most of or all of their lives are tired of it, but everyone just keeps plugging along, knowing that spring will eventually get here!

For me, yeah, the winter s*cks, (this winter is worse than last year) but it was still worth it for me to move to an area that's colder and has more snow than to stay where we were with the stress/congestion/crime that was moving into our area. I know from the past two summers that the summers up here are much better for me personally, weather-wise, than where we were. I do not like heat and humidity. Up here, we've had a few days where it would get hot and humid, but nothing major. Both summers we've used A/C 3-4 days maximum for the whole summer. South of us gets more of the heat and humidity than we get up here.

It will take some getting used to, there's no doubt about that, but if your hubby is willing to give it time and have patience, he will hopefully be able to adapt to the area......

Old 02-13-2008, 07:50 AM

Default stressful places/driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
I am looking forward to that calmness and slower pace of life. Anything that will help to calm me down, is just what I need. Life in So Cali can be very stressful. Driving is the worst
I understand that 100%!!!
The stress of SoCal felt like L.I. stress to me...just too populated.
fwiw, I've become so anxious on the road as a result of driving in SoCal with those crazy drivers that I've downright panicked in the car, and now I'm always paranoid. Guess it'll take awhile for that anxiety to diminish. Be careful out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire