Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2011, 01:16 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
In addition, the fans actually can play a role in the outcome of the games, as several members of the 2008 Phillies team have attested to. I think the way the current Phillies team has appreciated and related to the fans of the city has caused the fans to become even more attached. Former Phillie Pat Burrell even took out a full-page ad in the newspapers thanking the fans, after he was no longer on the team.
oh thats so sweet that the big important sports player took a moment to thank the little people for his success.

ultimately, what matters most is that these people are happy with their decisions in time and money spent. my opinion shouldnt matter to them.

if someone wants to take pleasure in someone elses victories and misery in their losses, thats ok with me. but i will always judge you and everyone else!!!! im the judger!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 01:28 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post

Go learn something so you can make enough money to partake in exciting sports like skiing or canoeing. Or go play baseball. Watching it is lame, in my opinion.
Ho. Lee. Crap. You seriously are brining in canoeing to the discussion?

Old 05-06-2011, 02:02 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times
Quote:
NJGOAT - unless you have been to Montreal, you don't know what you're talking about. They do not wear sports gear everywhere they go incessantly like people in SJ. A few internet photos of people rioting after a game do not prove your point. And as for the MINORITY of Montrealers, New Yorkers, Washingtonians, etc. who DO wear sports gear all the time - they are almost as tacky as the ones in SJ, except here it's even tackier because it's not only lame to wear, but they are also copying each other and lack any originality.

I am going to start taking photos around town and post them on here to show people just how much Phillies gear is worn by the locals.

Sports teams suck. Why would you support a team, unless your kid is on it? It's dumb. Woo, this guy was able to chew tobacco and catch a friggin ball. Big deal. Go learn something so you can make enough money to partake in exciting sports like skiing or canoeing. Or go play baseball. Watching it is lame, in my opinion.
Anger much? FWIW, I've been to Montreal many times, drunken college road trips, vacation with my wife and also for business. Beautiful city. The irony is that I spent as much time there discussing hockey as I did business. As soon as they knew I was from Philadelphia and a Flyer's fan (they asked, I didn't prompt) it became the focus of their discussions. At the time they were quite upset that the Flyer's had landed Briere over the Habs and they felt he was betraying them. That silly banter about sports allowed the people I was working with and I to have something in common that we could relate to each other about that wasn't nearly as divisive as talking politics or hoping we had all read the same book or seen the same movie in the past month.

Your opinion is your opinion and your entitled to it. No one is forcing you to wear the apparel or watch sports...so why be so upset over it? Do you only care because your friends and family who come to visit you think you live in a low class area?

As for why care about sports, why care about anything? It's a hobby/entertainment for many people. I could just as easily say watching low budget art films is a complete waste of time, or reading fantasy novels, or watching Jeopardy, or yes even canoeing (seriously, canoeing?). If I wanted to give an intellectual response I would tell you that sports is a unique entity in its ability to unite people of diverse backgrounds in a common interest. Often it is the one thing that unites the identity of a city/people. Don't belive me? Go watch the movie Invictus and see what Mandela had to say on the topic.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:12 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,408,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
I always think that the actual players must laugh when they see people wearing their jerseys. I know a pro football player and he doesn't have his team's stuff on his car and his wife wouldn't be caught dead in any gear.
probably because as a professional athlete, he gets enough attention without making it obvious? if i see a professional athlete out and he's got the logo plastered to his car or on a vanity plate...it confirms that he is who i think he is.

i know a few professional athletes and they LOVE the support they get from their fans.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
NJGOAT - unless you have been to Montreal, you don't know what you're talking about. They do not wear sports gear everywhere they go incessantly like people in SJ. A few internet photos of people rioting after a game do not prove your point. And as for the MINORITY of Montrealers, New Yorkers, Washingtonians, etc. who DO wear sports gear all the time - they are almost as tacky as the ones in SJ, except here it's even tackier because it's not only lame to wear, but they are also copying each other and lack any originality.

I am going to start taking photos around town and post them on here to show people just how much Phillies gear is worn by the locals.

Sports teams suck. Why would you support a team, unless your kid is on it? It's dumb. Woo, this guy was able to chew tobacco and catch a friggin ball. Big deal. Go learn something so you can make enough money to partake in exciting sports like skiing or canoeing. Or go play baseball. Watching it is lame, in my opinion.
i've been to montreal, as i said above, and i have seen them wear their hockey apparel all over town, as you claim they don't. they LOVE their hockey. so you obviously don't know what you are talking about. i spend a helluva lot more time in NYC than you do, and I can assure you...sports apparel has a prominent place in the city.

you're entitled to your opinion....but why do i care about someone who plays music unless it's my kid? why do i care about some hollywood schmo in movie unless it's my kid. it's all different forms of ENTERTAINMENT. just because YOU dislike it, doesn't make it uncultured or tacky.

when you get off your pedestal, let the rest of us know.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:16 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,348,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im a big time snob and i think supporting sports teams in general is tacky and classless. why would you care if some group of guys throwing a ball around happens to be based on your area? why are they important to anyone but themselves and their mommies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i watch mma fighting and i dont particularly care who wins any fight. i just want an entertaining fight with some brains being bashed in or the life being choked out of someone.
So watching baseball = classless

But watching people beat each other up = entertaining

Got it.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Anger much? FWIW, I've been to Montreal many times, drunken college road trips, vacation with my wife and also for business. Beautiful city. The irony is that I spent as much time there discussing hockey as I did business. As soon as they knew I was from Philadelphia and a Flyer's fan (they asked, I didn't prompt) it became the focus of their discussions. At the time they were quite upset that the Flyer's had landed Briere over the Habs and they felt he was betraying them. That silly banter about sports allowed the people I was working with and I to have something in common that we could relate to each other about that wasn't nearly as divisive as talking politics or hoping we had all read the same book or seen the same movie in the past month.

Your opinion is your opinion and your entitled to it. No one is forcing you to wear the apparel or watch sports...so why be so upset over it? Do you only care because your friends and family who come to visit you think you live in a low class area?

As for why care about sports, why care about anything? It's a hobby/entertainment for many people. I could just as easily say watching low budget art films is a complete waste of time, or reading fantasy novels, or watching Jeopardy, or yes even canoeing (seriously, canoeing?). If I wanted to give an intellectual response I would tell you that sports is a unique entity in its ability to unite people of diverse backgrounds in a common interest. Often it is the one thing that unites the identity of a city/people. Don't belive me? Go watch the movie Invictus and see what Mandela had to say on the topic.
actually, sports, politics, and religion are all commonly listed as things you shouldn't talk about in business/networking environments. too divisive. personally, i think that's b.s. and grown adults should be able to talk about all of the above.

when i worked in europe, and vacationing in canada, politics was commonly discussed. it seems to be almost a uniquely american thing that folks can't have intelligent political conversation without someone going crazy over some fringe view.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
probably because as a professional athlete, he gets enough attention without making it obvious? if i see a professional athlete out and he's got the logo plastered to his car or on a vanity plate...it confirms that he is who i think he is.

i know a few professional athletes and they LOVE the support they get from their fans.
Not all of them are exactly inconspicuous either. I've met a few of the Eagles and Flyers over time through work connections and when you're riding around in a decked out Mercedes with your last name and jersey number for a license plate, you're not exactly keeping it low key.

FWIW, the vast majority of athletes I have known and met are incredibly gracious individuals who are very down to Earth. I remember using some connections to get my nephew to meet Mark Recchi after a game. Not only did Recchi spend a good 15 minutes with my nephew (who had just recovered from neuro surgery for his hydrosephalous) he gave him his autographed game jersey and stick. It was a completely unexpected gesture and in hockey players pay for their own sticks, so he was taking some money out of his own pocket to put a smile on a kids face.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
actually, sports, politics, and religion are all commonly listed as things you shouldn't talk about in business/networking environments. too divisive. personally, i think that's b.s. and grown adults should be able to talk about all of the above.

when i worked in europe, and vacationing in canada, politics was commonly discussed. it seems to be almost a uniquely american thing that folks can't have intelligent political conversation without someone going crazy over some fringe view.
I don't know, this trip was back in 2007 during the end of the Bush years. I wasn't going to start talking politics with a bunch of Quebecois, lol.

Though I think they were more upset over the whole Briere thing than they were Bush and the Iraq War, it may actually have been easier talking about that.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:30 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
So watching baseball = classless

But watching people beat each other up = entertaining

Got it.
watching neither is classless. its when you make it a part of your life that impacts your satisfaction even when you arent watching the sport. its celebrating the players as if they are anything special to you.

but like i said, if that increases your overall quality of life then i wouldnt suggest stopping it. i dont want anyone to think that i would want them to change what they do because of my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia