Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 11:48 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,408,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I don't get the obsession with "hate crimes".

Let's say a white woman strangles another white woman to death because she wouldn't give up her purse.

Next a black man stabs another man to death because he's Jewish.

They're both cold blooded murder and should be dealt with accordingly (I prefer life without parole or the death penalty, for the record)

"Hate crime" laws allow politicians to meddle with punishment in a whimsical, politically motivated way.

Murder is murder, rape is rape and armed robbery is armed robbery.
i get the disctintion. a hate crime carries a harsher penalty because of the somewhat more unique and disturbing motive of the crime. sure...a premeditated murder is a murder no matter whom the victim - but when you intentially go out to kill someone because of their skin color, or sexual orientation, etc., you're a bit more of a pyschological case. in my mind, both penalties should be as harsh as what a hate crime penalty is typically, so I see what you're saying. but the distinction arose because we see it as a more severe "premeditation".

just like manslaughter is not the same as murder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 11:49 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
and with a gun, she's completely at the mercy of the violent criminal who just smacked her as she grabbed her gun, and now has a gun....
that's a funny concept. she is completely at his mercy so how is it worse than she may have a chance to grab a gun?

Old 06-27-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
had this conversation with a friend. no matter what your thoughts on guns are....in this particular situation, where do you expect she'd have the gun while sitting on the couch with her 3 yr old? While there are certainly cases where guns help, this is not a good example at all.
where do you think the gun should be? if you spend a lot of the day in the family room, you should have a gun in the family room. just keep it in a fingerprint safe. why would you have a gun upstairs in the bedroom and nothing in the family room where you are going to be much of the day?

Old 06-27-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thanks for your concern, but yes, and I can both read AND write English. You said, "she was most likely cheating on her husband". That sort of accusation led me to believe you had further information regarding the victim's character.

It was my understanding from other poster's information that he did steal something from the house. Yes, you said "based on the video" but the video doesn't show everything.

As to the question of how a black man walks up into a neighborhood and breaks into a house with none of the neighbors doing or seeing anything--well, that happens all the time, doesn't it? Years ago, Michael Moore did a TV show wherein he rented a house in a nice neighborhood. He played bloodcurdling screams in the middle of the night, splattered a blood-like substance on the inside of the windows that was visible on the outside, had the "occupants" carry body-bag-type packages in and out of the house, dug grave-like holes in the backyard. No one said a word. No one noticed a thing. Most people aren't peering out their windows all the time looking to see what's going on with the neighbors, and believe it or not, black people can be found nowadays in just about any neighborhood in NJ, and nobody thinks twice about it.
wait a second. when did we start letting black people in any neighborhood in NJ?! no one told me that!

Old 06-27-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonGrace View Post
I think that is actually very probable--there is some talk in town about the nanny not showing up that day.
god. just great. right as my wife and i are searching for a new daycare or nanny. that's gonna not bode well for the nanny option. oy. my heart goes out to your friend. and her daughter. i hope they can recover from this.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
The old timers will tell you. Besides the nuns wacking you during school in the good ol days, the NYPD might give you a crack with a nightstick for loitering or sassy backtalk. Then if your parents found out it was another smack or two for embarrassing the family. These things are unheard of today.
depending on the catholic school - not so unheard of. hehe

Old 06-27-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
thanks, ill be taking my daughter with me to visit her.

I seriously doubt my wife would end up in jail if she shot someone who broke into our home. im not sure if I buy that you really believe that.
according to a lawyer friend of mine (and this of course depends on the state), but it'd be a pretty easy case for the person who was shot. excessive force is the argument. of course, it's situational, but the burden would definitely be on your wife.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
I saw on TV that the family getting an alarm, don't think alarm will help in this case, as he was forced into entry.

I really don't know what could prevent this. Unless the woman has a gun, but also could put her in danger of gun shots. I would Just beg for mercy, I think the best route is exactly what she did or offer money to this bastard.

Luckily that she wasn't badly hurt and kids are fine.
the cops would at least be on their way if the alarm went off. or it might just scare him away. a dog is good to have for the scare away reason. most burglerers will just move on to the next house if they hear something as they try and get in.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
according to a lawyer friend of mine (and this of course depends on the state), but it'd be a pretty easy case for the person who was shot. excessive force is the argument. of course, it's situational, but the burden would definitely be on your wife.
there is a dead person who illegally entered a home and my sweet innocent wife and daughter. while im sure in nj it wont be without a hassle, I think we would be gtg.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
like others have said, big scary dog or dogs. then id also have a gun to grab just in case the perp is fighting with the dog. I wonder if there are stats regarding crimes of this nature and dogs being in the home.
seems like one of those things that are not measurable. how do you quantify how many homes a burgler passed on because they heard a dog? but i'm comfortable enough with how people who react to my dog barking, who know he's friendly, to assume he'd be somewhat of a deterrant. plus, it's always surprising to me how many people are afraid of any dog....even small ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey