Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 09:36 AM

83 posts, read 279,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
wallabees, earth shoes...maybe it's a bayonne thing, lol

http://www.hartlandshoes.us/Wallabees2.JPG

Earth Shoes are now Birkenstocks. Very popular with the women who have big shoulders and wear flannel shirts.

Tom McAnn shoes are now a brand that are sold at big box stores like K-Mart and WallMart. No idea if it is an actual successor or just a brand licensing thing tho.

diogenesNY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 09:50 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,623,516 times
I remember earth shoes now lol ty ty ty better than those ugly crocs people wear now YIKES!!

Old 05-22-2008, 10:07 AM

716 posts, read 2,160,314 times
Quote:
OMG! Was there one in NJ? My mom and I used to go to the one at the Staten Island Mall all the time! I used to love to walk through the "candy store" portion of the restaurant.
Me too!!! I almost always got candy buttons... (mmm, papery!)

I forget which mall it was in -- East Brunswick? Woodbridge? It was a loooong time ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Did anyone ever go out Route 70 past Lakehurst to the Blueberry Farms and spend your day picking (freakin') blueberries in the hot, miserable summer weather?
I did!! When was around 10 or 11 years old, and I met a girl from Lakewood who became my pen pal for years. When you're a kid, it's all fun; you don't mind the heat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandcookies View Post
And when i was about 12 I saved up all my money from being a paper girl (News Tribune)... I bought my first/only pair of cowboy boots at Fayva.
I had the weirdest experience at a salon here a little while back. One of the young (21 or under) assistants was wearing this pair of slouchy leather ankle boots and when I saw them I realized I had bought the SAME EXACT thing back in 1985 from Fayva!! Funny how things come back...

Old 05-22-2008, 01:51 PM

646 posts, read 2,669,935 times
Quote:
wallabees, earth shoes...maybe it's a bayonne thing, lol

http://www.hartlandshoes.us/Wallabees2.JPG
Nope but they had no ankel support at all!

Old 05-30-2008, 07:30 AM

10 posts, read 44,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyR View Post
So many north Jersey folks here, I have to speak up for central Jersey....

<snip>
Manasquan Beach - what was the name of the club there?

Love this thread!
I believe that would be the Osprey.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marye711 View Post
Yes there is a difference.......Beefsteak Charlies I think was t he one that you can throw peanuts or popcorn on the floor (one or the other) it was really kinda stupid. Charlie Browns is ok kinda like an applebees and others along that line
No, Beefsteak Charlies thing was the all you can eat fresh shrimp bar. The gimmick was you had to peel the shrimp yourself.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:53 AM

How many of you remember these bygone movie theaters? The Lee and the Grant Lee theaters in Fort Lee. The Fox and the Oritani theaters in Hackensack. The Park Lane in Palisades Park. The Queen Anne in Bogota. The Englewood and the Plaza theaters in Englewood. The Bergen Mall at the Bergen Mall in Paramus. The Capitol in Passaic which John Sher took over in the 70's and used for rock shows. How many of you saw Bruce Springsteen for the first time at the Capitol?

Old 05-30-2008, 08:01 AM

I doubt anyone here is old enough to remember the ferry terminals in Edgewater and Englewood Cliffs or street cars in Cliffside Park and Fort Lee. No, I'm not old enough to actually remember seeing them but I have heard about them.

Interesting bit of trivia. The reason street cars disappeared is General Motors used to go around buying up all the street car companies and switch them over to using buses which GM made. Then GM would be sure to help finance getting all the street car tracks ripped up or paved over so there was no going back. So now we have air and noise polution from all the buses instead of electric street cars.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:37 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,623,516 times
Thanks Cog I was informed that I had the wrong one,

Old 05-30-2008, 11:33 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,353,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
The Hazlet Drive In
With the trampoline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey