Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 04:36 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,892,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Do you think Southern Baptists should become Episcopalian to conform?
Or that Catholic priests should drop the collar, or nuns drop the habit, or monks drop the robes so that they can "fit in" better and people won't know who they are?
A lot of Catholic nuns no longer wear the habit, but wear business attire or casual clothing (even jeans!) -- but you can still tell they're nuns from a mile away (I'm actually better at this than my Catholic-school-educated husband -- and while I'm Catholic, I'm a proud product of the public schools).

Last edited by KathyA11; 04-26-2009 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: to correct a typo

Old 04-26-2009, 04:49 PM

39 posts, read 151,132 times
Just wanted to throw a tidbit in there:

Larry Tisch and his brother got their business start here with their first hotel. Sadly, it has since perished in a fire. I just think it's cool that one of the richest men of his time (the 80's) got started in this town! Also, Highland Park seems very similar to Lakewood with a nice downtown and a large Jewish community.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 7,709 times
Default no taxes?

I hear a lot of stories and I wonder if anyone out there knows the truth. is it true that the jewish people in lakewood nj don't pay property taxes? also they're building like crazy I hear they all collect welfare is that true?

Old 05-20-2009, 05:49 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fargo33 View Post
I hear a lot of stories and I wonder if anyone out there knows the truth. is it true that the jewish people in lakewood nj don't pay property taxes? also they're building like crazy I hear they all collect welfare is that true?
jews dont pay taxes anywhere in the USA. they also get a special deduction from income taxes. they also get to collect a Kosher tax that comes from stuff that non-jews purchase. if anyone complains about this they will be vilified in the media and the prime minister of israel will call them an anti-semite.

just kidding, figured if there was going to be some jew propaganda i would pour on the BS.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:47 AM

445 posts, read 1,984,085 times
Quote:
Well, if its true, i dont know about it and neither do any of my relatives. I am jewish and i dont collect welfare. My relatives own houses in lakewood and they certainly pay taxes. My sister has a small ranch and she pays close to 6k a year in property taxes. Another relative of mine pays 12k a year for his house. I am sure that some people do collect welfare though.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:29 AM

57 posts, read 309,701 times
Quote:
There is some truth in these stories. Most Haredim in Lakewood do pay property taxes like everyone else but a few in areas without a synagogue will set up one in the house and claim an exemption.

Most Haredi Jews work or are supported by family and are not eligible for welfare but there are some who only study and will receive some public assistance. It is not uncommon for the yeshiva orthodox to receive welfare but it is by no means most.

If any of you were wondering, we are finally out of Lakewood and the children in the community here in freehold have no problem playing with my son. He and we are much happier away from the rude, unpatriotic and anti-Zionist Haredi community of Lakewood.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:38 AM

7 posts, read 30,558 times
I've seen Jews getting food stamps.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:50 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,959,015 times
Lakewood is a big pass for me. No thanks.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 7,374 times
Hi everyone
My name is david im a religious jew im modern orthodox and I was born in europe and now have lived in lakewood for 17 years. I will try to clear up a few issues going on here . Im a open mided person and work with people of all races and religion I go to a gym in jackson and I get along with most people. first if all , yes friday is hectic and everyone is rushing which is not too good on traffic something has to be done about that but before you judge think of x-mas eve with shopping and everything ....think of this as as x-mas every friday lol.....next I dont think jewish people are rude ( again there all all sorts of flavor in the bag) most of them are just shy and reserved since they seclude themselves from the outside world they get a little flustered and lost when they go out , most of the time if you talk to them they like sports just like everyone my rule in life is that everyone deserves kindness and respect until they cross the line then I become goliath....lol( it was just a joke if you have any questions just ask me and ill try to answer

Old 08-27-2009, 04:09 PM

57 posts, read 309,701 times
David,
I’m sure you are a very nice modern orthodox person. I’m also sure that you are not typical of the orthodox in Lakewood.

It’s not about the traffic before Shabbat; it’s about people who believe no other people mater. It’s about people who teach their children to stay away from people not like them. You may work and socialize with all kinds of people but the Haredim do not.
While there are many fine examples from the community only the rude stand out. This is an on going problem for us (secular Jews) who have to defend all Jews because the Haredim cause as much trouble here as they do in Israel.

Far too many are arrogant, unpleasant and seemingly unhappy people.
They think they are the only real Jews well I got news for them, there are more of us and we love and support Israel while they do not.

I can’t tell you how happy I am to be the hell out of Lakewood and away from these people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey