Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 07:23 AM

261 posts, read 936,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
I was just wondering if the Farmington and surrounding area was quiet and crime free?

I guess it's relative. I've been here a loooooooong time and I don't consider it quiet or crime free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 09:16 AM

125 posts, read 453,550 times
in my opinion, most of New Mexico has a lot of crime. Most places you go there are street gangs / thugs. There's also a lot of poverty throughout the state, which leads to a lot of theft crimes. A lot of people have "chip" on their shoulder due to circumstances / poverty, etc.

New MExico has a "fighting" culture, meaning that people are usually quick tempered and not afraid to throw punches. It's a macho culture, but girls will get into fist fights too.

In New York, if you yell obcenities to someone in traffic on the street, they'll just yell back and flip you off.

Here, if you do that, the other party will follow you in their car, wait for you to stop, get out, go over to your car, and punch you. And if they happen to be a gang member, then they'll beat you to a pulp and steal your car.

I've lived in New Mexico most of my life. Not Farmington. But I've been through Farmington several times, and it looks the same as any other part of NM

Old 01-21-2009, 09:22 AM

Fortunately my wife and I aren't staying in NM so I don't have to choose between bad and worse.

Unfortunately in NM you can't get away from crime or drug use. It's sad that someplace, for example, as small and historic as Chimayo supposedly has one of the worst drug problems in the country. Well, that's the rumor anyway.

I wouldn't recommend Las Cruces because there's a lot of crime there due to proximity to the Mexican border.

The only places in NM I could maybe recommend would be Los Alamos or Rio Rancho, which are "upper end" communities. Los Alamos is mostly scientists and engineers at the Labs, so it's got a higher standard of living. Actually a decent little town if you don't mind the smallness or geekiness of it.

I wouldn't recommend Las Cruces. There's a lot of property theft, street gangs, and other crime due to proximity to the Mexican border.

Why would you want to live in a dry, dusty, small town like Alamagordo which has the same problems as Farmington or any other place in NM?

El Paso, safest place in the country? Who said that? Give me a break. El Paso has street gangs, drug trafficking, huge property theft and myriad of other crimes.

Last edited by mmposting; 01-21-2009 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: add more info

Old 01-21-2009, 09:31 AM

you know, it probably won't happen. NM police are jaded. they have a "defeatist" mental attitude.

Several years ago, I published an op ed piece in the Albq. Journal saying that basically what Albq. needs to do is hire someone like Bratten, the former NYC police chief.

That's the only way to improve things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
I agree. For Portales to be as small as it is, it sure has a high crime problem and so does Hobbs. My sister's best friend had to flee out of Hobbs because she was afraid to even walk down a street. Portales and Rosewell are just the same as well. There needs to be a crackdown on crime by the law. It is time the citizens at these high crime towns say "enough is enough" and demand action by the police to stop the crime, drugs, outlaws and gangs. New Mexico would be a great place to live if they would stop the crime. New Mexico is still a great place to live, but why should only the rich towns be safe while those less fortunate towns have to deal with all the crime? I hope New Mexicans will start crime watches on every block in every town.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:40 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,726,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmposting View Post
Here, if you do that, the other party will follow you in their car, wait for you to stop, get out, go over to your car, and punch you. And if they happen to be a gang member, then they'll beat you to a pulp and steal your car.
Are you speaking from personal experience? I have never witnessed or been subject to this kind of behavior. If this were true, seems like the newspapers would be full of stories about this activity.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:45 AM

622 posts, read 1,724,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmposting View Post
In New York, if you yell obcenities to someone in traffic on the street, they'll just yell back and flip you off.
That doesn't happen to me, but I don't go around screaming obscenities at people either.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:54 AM

The newspapers in NM don't mention most of the crime that occurs. This is because there's too much of it, it doesn't affect the small pockets of affluent people, and the victims and other people involved don't report it.

Yes, I can give you personal experiences that I have had. What would you like to hear?

Perhaps the night I pulled into a gas station in Albuquerque and as I was filling up, two car loads of girls pulled up next to me and started talking about the shooting they were just involved with?

Or the night a college friend of mine was driving with some girlfriends, and some punks in another car forced him over, dragged him out of the car and beat him up. I guess it was just "for fun."

Or recently, my wife told me the story of her co worker in Santa Fe. Her co worker and his wife were having a meal at Applebee's. Suddenly an argument broke out between two men at the next table. It escalated with one of the men telling the other he was going to his car to get his gun. And he did. Then the other apparently fled.

Guess what? Nobody at the restaurant called the police. Why? Fear of retaliation because it's likely the two men involved were gang members.

90% of the incidents I have personally seen, I did not report. Why report something that the police don't care about, which happens on a daily basis, and which you may suffer personal retaliation for?

Be glad you haven't been a victim of something like this. If you yell at someone or flip them off in their car, there's a good chance you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Are you speaking from personal experience? I have never witnessed or been subject to this kind of behavior. If this were true, seems like the newspapers would be full of stories about this activity.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:57 AM

Yes true. But several people have mentioned to me that when they are in public in Santa Fe or Albuquerque, especially in their car, they make a point not to look at other people due to fear of "provoking" some response.

If that's true, why live someplace where you are afraid to look at other people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minathebrat View Post
That doesn't happen to me, but I don't go around screaming obscenities at people either.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:51 PM
RKW

24 posts, read 70,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
I was just wondering if the Farmington and surrounding area was quiet and crime free?
Quiet depends on your location within the city. Definitely not crime free. Lots of drunk drivers and drunk pedestrians, property crimes, and theft.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:27 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times
I also dont look at people at stop lights,well only if its a car load of punks, I know what some are capable of, others I will look at like average everyday type people. You can usually tell who has the chip on their shoulder and starts trouble for fun or to prove they are tough in front of their homies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico