Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2011, 11:32 PM

124 posts, read 228,341 times

Advertisements

The latest weather report has us under a severe weather alert Monday through Wednesday for storms and flash floods but when you look at the daily weather it's giving a 30% chance of rain. That's not very high odds where I'm from.

In WI we'd say if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes. It'll change.

Sure can't say that here!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 06:15 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Default Hydrologic Outlook???

I think this is the first time I've seen this particular term - hydrologic outlook - used in the NOAA weather forecasts for my area. Actually, for the state of NM generally. It has some good information on the wildfires at the bottom of the page for anyone interested in the number we've had this spring/summer fire season.

HYDROLOGIC OUTLOOK

One aspect of the weather this summer that has been noticeable to me is the lack of thunderstorm buildups to the east (in Texas panhandle) that "usually" are a precursor of the monsoon season to the west (in NM/AZ). That's not surprising, I suppose, considering the entrenched pattern of upper level jet stream flows for the past ten months or so. That pattern remains in place even though the jet stream is not as fast as it was before the hotter weather set in.

And it's an intense high pressure bubble over the Four Corners area that is now responsible for suppressing buildup of the clouds that form over the Sacramentos every morning of late, but dissipate as the day's heat builds.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:02 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debzherenow View Post
The latest weather report has us under a severe weather alert Monday through Wednesday for storms and flash floods but when you look at the daily weather it's giving a 30% chance of rain. That's not very high odds where I'm from.

In WI we'd say if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes. It'll change.

Sure can't say that here!!!
LOL! I heard that all the time in TX, too.

My Wunderground gives roughly the same percentages for the Four Corners....we got rain again late yesterday evening. Not a gullywasher, mind you, but I'll take what we can get.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:07 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
And it's an intense high pressure bubble over the Four Corners area that is now responsible for suppressing buildup of the clouds that form over the Sacramentos every morning of late, but dissipate as the day's heat builds.

Since posting that I've read a news item that says there are FIFTEEN states now under a "high heat warning" (105F+) due to this same high pressure phenom.

NM is NOT one of the fifteen!

Old 07-11-2011, 10:27 AM

265 posts, read 808,831 times
When I worked in the oil bizness I would be stuck for weeks on end in places as grim as those you've just traveled through - Seminole, TX springs immediately to mind, also Tioga, Minot and Williston ND, Cameron Parish LA, Rio Vista CA and so forth.

I found that if you look hard enough, every place has something unique to enjoy - in North Dakota it was fresh-caught walleye pike & juneberry pie, and I learned how to play Bourré and deep-fry a turkey in Louisiana. I admit, Seminole was a challenge, but then we discovered we could drive to Eunice NM for the best chile rellenos ever at Diane's, and fabulous beef jerky made by a little old man who owned a store with a cow statue out front.

In Albuquerque, you could start with the simple joy of being able to sit outdoors in the dry evening breeze, the beautiful mountain vistas, or just getting away from the hellish Austin traffic? And this fall you'll *love* the balloon fiesta, it's completely unique. Plus, if you get tired of ABQ you can easily visit Santa Fe and Taos on the weekends ...

Then again, one thing I observed over the years was that native Texans don't transplant well. If you're a native Texan, it's possible that you won't be happy anywhere else. I don't understand the syndrome, and I'm not judging it, but I've seen it often enough to believe it's true ... all I can advise you is, Bloom where you're planted! And good luck ...

Old 07-11-2011, 12:48 PM

662 posts, read 1,450,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieBelize View Post

In Albuquerque, you could start with the simple joy of being able to sit outdoors in the dry evening breeze, the beautiful mountain vistas, or just getting away from the hellish Austin traffic? And this fall you'll *love* the balloon fiesta, it's completely unique. Plus, if you get tired of ABQ you can easily visit Santa Fe and Taos on the weekends ...

Then again, one thing I observed over the years was that native Texans don't transplant well. If you're a native Texan, it's possible that you won't be happy anywhere else. I don't understand the syndrome, and I'm not judging it, but I've seen it often enough to believe it's true ... all I can advise you is, Bloom where you're planted! And good luck ...
LOL! I'm not a native Texan, but I have lived here for 11 years. Texans probably don't transplant well because they think their state is better than all others. I'm a fifth generation Wisconsinite, but I never thought of saying that until I moved to Texas and heard people proclaiming that they were fourth or fifth generation Texans.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:54 AM

I think there's more today!! I watched a bit of news when I first woke up and the intense heat is going to cause lots of problems down the road. I wasn't really awake but thought I heard 1/2 of OK corn crop is in really bad shape, they're having trouble getting enough water and feed to the cows so they are producing less milk. Farmers are losing $$$$. The problems will work they're way down to the consumer with price increases.

Not Good for anyone!!

Old 07-12-2011, 09:57 AM

265 posts, read 808,831 times
Oh too funny! My nephews are *seventh* generation Texans - and yes, it comes up often in conversations!

Old 07-12-2011, 05:56 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
LOL!! Seventh? Uh huh..... Ü

I am also a native Texan (fifth generation, with a great-whatever paternal grandfather that came to pre-Republic Texas from Mississippi to the De Zavala colony sometime in the 1830's...).

I left Texas 4 years ago, and there are still things I miss terribly. I don't necessarily think that Texas is better than other states as a whole, but I think that quite a few Texans consider it best for THEM.

I have given up predicting what I will do in 15-20 years, but there is a chance that when I'm tired of cold/snow/skiing that I will return to West Texas in the end.

I think many of us natives (as one native Texan poster said in one of the many threads here) are like homing pigeons. We may live elsewhere for any number of years, but eventually come "home."

Having said that, I also love NM and CO.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:34 PM

I don't think I'll ever move back to WI. Too much white stuff in winter!! My almost 20yr old is there now but I don't really expect her to stay there. She spent 10.5 months in the Phoenix area when she was 18 and except for no job, car, or money she told me she liked it. LOL....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico