Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 07:21 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
No. What you said is that for one to live in a safe neighborhood you had to be able to afford a upper $300k home. Which is simply incorrect. Your initial statement is not a fact.

Remember that? Facts are facts.
OK - follow this link:
US Home Prices and USA Heat Map - Trulia Real Estate Search - Trulia.com

Click on NM and then click on TX. The average listing price for NM is higher than the one for TX. However, the economy in TX is way stronger and way more jobs than NM. It even has higher listing prices than WA (and WA has Seattle)!

This is what I mean when I say real estate in NM is for the rich folks mostly. What (or who) do you think is bringing the average listing prices up in NM?

OD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 10:16 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,061,735 times
That had nothing to do with what my initial statement was nor with your response.

You keep searching though. You might find a nut eventually.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:43 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
That had nothing to do with what my initial statement was nor with your response.

You keep searching though. You might find a nut eventually.
My basic premise is that NM has too much crime for a state of its size and population (also too many drugs that are EVERYWHERE) and it is too expensive to live in for the majority of its population or for that matter for the majority of middle class folks from anywhere-USA. I will further say that NM has a very small middle class, that the large majority of people living in NM are near poverty or slightly above it (or maybe low-middle-class) and that outside wealthy people in bed with local developers have successfully developed a lot of old ranches and virgin land for the enjoyment of wealthy outsiders - something that unchecked has caused local prices of real estate to skyrocket past the point of affordability of many locals.

If you look at average listing values of such a poor state with pretty undeveloped economy (compared to TX, FL, WA or CA), New Mexico real estate is more expensive on average than three out of the four (and that's saying a lot since FL went through a huge foreclosure crisis, much larger than NM).

Instead of trying to attract business and investments and make life attractive for the middle class, instead of cleaning up the drugs and crime, the state of NM and its local governments have obviously decided that NM is better of being a place where wealthy come to pick up a nice expensive property for twice-a-year leisure...

For anyone that is looking to move to NM, such a view is well worth knowing. Since this whole website is based on personal views, I think I can state it.

OD

Old 04-22-2012, 05:06 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times
Anyone going to Smokey Bear Days in Capitan in a couple of weeks?

Old 05-03-2012, 01:47 PM

888 posts, read 1,186,839 times
I didn't know that living in a 1400 square foot house in Eldorado, driving a 1991 Mistsubishi Eclipse, and living off my RR pension qualified me as being RICH???

Dat funny!!!

Steve

Old 05-03-2012, 01:51 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,061,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Yeah. I provided numbers, you provide the "yes, there is" broken record . In any case, it's out there, people can judge the numbers or they can choose to believe your (uncorroborated) statements.

In a few posts in this thread I provided economic stats, crime stats, real estate stats, median income stats, poverty level stats. All of them point to the same thing... I won't say what since it may earn me another infraction

On the other hand you provided "it has a middle class 'cause I said so"...
You throw out a bunch of 'stats', but none of those corroborate your initial statement.

Quote:
NM does not really have a middle class.
Remember that?

I as well as others have posted stats also (here and other places). All of which point to the same thing...

You are wrong. You know it.

Now where is my darn butler? I need another Margarita!

Last edited by NMHacker; 05-03-2012 at 02:03 PM..

Old 05-07-2012, 05:48 PM

295 posts, read 591,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loborick View Post
Seriously? I think there's a few wealthy people in Santa Fe. There's a lot of oil money in the southeast part of the state. I doubt 75% of the wealthy people in the state live in the NE heights of ABQ.
Sticking to 75%, I almost said 85 before.... so 75 is a good thing.

The majority of Santa Fe's wealth is near the plaza. Which is not as big as you think it is... The majority of the rest of New Mexico's wealth resides in either Farmington or Carlsbad, Oil towns. Or Los Alamos, depending on who you ask.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:33 PM

713 posts, read 1,846,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan from NM View Post
Sticking to 75%, I almost said 85 before.... so 75 is a good thing.

The majority of Santa Fe's wealth is near the plaza. Which is not as big as you think it is... The majority of the rest of New Mexico's wealth resides in either Farmington or Carlsbad, Oil towns. Or Los Alamos, depending on who you ask.
Show me some stats then.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:47 PM

662 posts, read 1,450,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loborick View Post
Show me some stats then.

Here are stats on the wealthiest zip codes:

Highest income zip codes in NEW MEXICO

Old 05-09-2012, 04:54 PM

295 posts, read 591,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
Here are stats on the wealthiest zip codes:

Highest income zip codes in NEW MEXICO
Isn't it IRONIC, there are 3 Albuquerque zip codes on the top 5 list.
And 10 of the top 20 are zip codes in Albuquerque as well.... hmmm...

Plus, the majority of this state's population resides in the Albuquerque Metro area... or in a 100 mile radius, and Santa Fe, Placitas and Sandia Park make that list as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico