U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-18-2012, 07:01 PM
 
2,878 posts, read 3,698,897 times
Reputation: 3066

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Crime isn't a big deal.
Speaking strictly for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-18-2012, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Old Town
1,932 posts, read 3,128,086 times
Reputation: 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Speaking strictly for yourself.
You again. There was another sentence that went with that. I thought you gave up on NM. Shouldn't you be frequenting the Islandia forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2012, 09:30 PM
 
2,878 posts, read 3,698,897 times
Reputation: 3066
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
You again. There was another sentence that went with that. I thought you gave up on NM. Shouldn't you be frequenting the Islandia forum?
Look, we get it, you love NM . When you love something, you are willing to overlook a lot of bad things. I am not invested in NM in any way yet (and I say this after spending 5 years visiting and looking) so I think I am allowed to say what I think. ABQ is a nice, fun town but it can also be a crime ridden dump all over the place. Yes, you got to pick your neighborhoods but the whole state is overrun with drug crime - mostly burglaries, thefts, break-ins and auto thefts. Even tiny places like Chimayo or Mountainait or mid-size places like Silver city have drug and gang related crime. People keep telling you to avoid bad places and dealing with criminals and that you will be fine. On the other side of those statements are a bunch of people who could not afford to buy in a neighborhood where homes were in the high $300s and up so they bought in a "normal" neighborhood and ended up being repeatedly burglarized or had their cars broken into a few times.

Compared to your average american, I have lived in more than a few states and a few countries and I have never felt more unsafe than in some parts of NM (like driving through Espanola). Even parts of small towns like Chimayo or bigger towns like Santa Fe have bad areas! Let's g through the list - Roswell, Las Vegas, ABQ, Alamogordo... all of these have high crime rates. Even tiny towns like Tucumcari (hello!) has a higher than average crime rate....

So when you say "Crime isn't a big deal", you have to end the thought with "if you got the dough".

OD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2012, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Old Town
1,932 posts, read 3,128,086 times
Reputation: 1836
I live in one of the safest neighborhoods in the city. Average home price is 220k. So, as usual you are incorrect. Visiting off and on does not make you an expert. It has nothing to do with loving NM. It has everything to do with providing correct and factual information. Which you have shown over and over that you cannot do. Example of you insinuating that only those that can afford high 300k+ homes are safe.

I too have lived in a few places and been all over the world. Living a long time Montebello, CA which borders ELA. Nearly every area I have been has bad areas. This is not unique to NM. I spend a lot of time in nearly every area you mentioned and just don't scare a easily as you do obviously. I think most don't actually.

Last edited by NMHacker; 04-18-2012 at 09:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2012, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Old Town
1,932 posts, read 3,128,086 times
Reputation: 1836
And really? You felt unsafe driving through Espanola? freaking hilarious. Really? Yeah, that tells me a lot about you. And you're the one that demonizes those with money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2012, 06:55 AM
 
2,878 posts, read 3,698,897 times
Reputation: 3066
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
And really? You felt unsafe driving through Espanola? freaking hilarious. Really? Yeah, that tells me a lot about you. And you're the one that demonizes those with money?
Chill out . It's not about scaring easily, it is about day to day safety. For me, for my wife, for my animals.

Moderator cut: Your post has been edited. Please, you rude bashing posts have become annoying.

The places a normal person wants to live in have been made too expensive for the average folks by the outside money, investors and speculators.

I see you conveniently did not address any of my facts about the high crime rates even in small places like Tucumcari. You did not address the rampant drug problem that the state has even in tiny towns you would never expect to have a problem. You did not address the corrupt law enforcement where every now and then the whole set of mayor to police chief gets arrested for drug/people/whatever smuggling or corruption or whatever else they do in there...

Let's go town-by-town through everything starting with population 1,000 and see the crime rates, I think YOU need to check your facts - soon you will discover that the small towns (which a normal person would expect to be safe) are teaming with crime...

Read other threads on this forum where people will tell you about how they have been burglarized repeatedly or their cars broken into, even in "safe" neighborhoods. Read about people telling you that some of their worst encounters (life or death) were in some tiny place in northern NM, where a normal person would never expect it.

Finally, I don't know where you lived and how easily you scare but it is really not about that, it is about the fact that some day you (and by "you" I mean anyone, not you particularly so you don't get offended, that's not my intention) may come out of the basement, get married, have children and be responsible for someone else but yourself. At that moment you may think about what your wife has to drive through on her way to work and back, where your child will go after school etc...

By the way, since you are all about the facts - let's discuss Espanola: population about 9000. Average US crime rate: 319? Espanola crime rate: 961 (in 2010). In 2009 it was over a 1000! That's almost like East St Louis. Anyways, I am waiting for you to tell me something nice about how crime is not a big deal there...

Let's go on: Tucumcari, population 5,000, crime rate 469. Las Vegas, population 14,000, crime rate 528. Silver City, population 10000, crime rate 523. Gallup, NM, population 20,000, crime rate 851. Your belowed Taos, NM, population 5,000, crime rate 514. Santa Fe, population 73,000, crime rate 440. ABQ, population 530,000, crime rate 474 (used to be in 700, has been dropping steadily), Clovis, population 32000, crime rate 534...

As you can see, small town, big town, the place is infested with crime, law enforcement appears unwilling or incapable. Then you go off and tell us that "crime is no big deal"...

OD

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-19-2012 at 09:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2012, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Old Town
1,932 posts, read 3,128,086 times
Reputation: 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Chill out . It's not about scaring easily, it is about day to day safety. For me, for my wife, for my animals.
Hey, I'm not the one that said that I felt unsafe simply driving through Espanola.


Quote:
I see you conveniently did not address any of my facts about the high crime rates even in small places like Tucumcari. You did not address the rampant drug problem that the state has even in tiny towns you would never expect to have a problem. You did not address the corrupt law enforcement where every now and then the whole set of mayor to police chief gets arrested for drug/people/whatever smuggling or corruption or whatever else they do in there...
Didn't know I was expected to address every little town and every issue.

Quote:
Let's go town-by-town through everything starting with population 1,000 and see the crime rates, I think YOU need to check your facts - soon you will discover that the small towns (which a normal person would expect to be safe) are teaming with crime...
I don't know that a normal person would expect that. Especially if know that many of those towns are very poor. As you stated many of the issues are burglaries, thefts and breakins. Which usually happens in poor areas.

Quote:
Read other threads on this forum where people will tell you about how they have been burglarized repeatedly or their cars broken into, even in "safe" neighborhoods. Read about people telling you that some of their worst encounters (life or death) were in some tiny place in northern NM, where a normal person would never expect it.
Of course someone that has been violated they would want to rant somewhere. City data is a good a place as any.

Quote:
Finally, I don't know where you lived and how easily you scare but it is really not about that, it is about the fact that some day you (and by "you" I mean anyone, not you particularly so you don't get offended, that's not my intention) may come out of the basement, get married, have children and be responsible for someone else but yourself. At that moment you may think about what your wife has to drive through on her way to work and back, where your child will go after school etc...
1st, most homes in NM do not have a basement.

Why are you worried about offending me? You offend a lot of people. From calling people that live in mobile homes 'trash' to coming to a forum on NM and calling the entire state a dump. As I have mentioned in the past. I do have a wife and a son. We are co-owners of a construction company that participates in rehabilitation of homes through the NSP program. Many of those homes are in poor areas where obviously crime is higher. My wife spends a lot of time in those areas as she is the project manager for all our projects. I am keenly aware of crime ridden areas. She does what is needed to keep her safe by being aware of her surroundings, not just in the poorer areas but everywhere.

Crime is everywhere and it knows no bounds. I've had my vehicle broken into once, in Santa Ana, CA. Which is generally considered one of the safest cities in the country.

Quote:
By the way, since you are all about the facts - let's discuss Espanola: population about 9000. Average US crime rate: 319? Espanola crime rate: 961 (in 2010). In 2009 it was over a 1000! That's almost like East St Louis. Anyways, I am waiting for you to tell me something nice about how crime is not a big deal there...

Let's go on: Tucumcari, population 5,000, crime rate 469. Las Vegas, population 14,000, crime rate 528. Silver City, population 10000, crime rate 523. Gallup, NM, population 20,000, crime rate 851. Your belowed Taos, NM, population 5,000, crime rate 514. Santa Fe, population 73,000, crime rate 440. ABQ, population 530,000, crime rate 474 (used to be in 700, has been dropping steadily), Clovis, population 32000, crime rate 534...

As you can see, small town, big town, the place is infested with crime, law enforcement appears unwilling or incapable. Then you go off and tell us that "crime is no big deal"...

OD
Now lets go back to my original statement. I stated that crime isn't a problem and followed that by saying choosing a safe area and neighborhood. You choose to pick one singular sentence and rant on that. Completely leaving out the following sentence.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-19-2012 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: Edited orphaned material
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2012, 10:38 AM
 
2,878 posts, read 3,698,897 times
Reputation: 3066
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Now lets go back to my original statement. I stated that crime isn't a problem and followed that by saying choosing a safe area and neighborhood. You choose to pick one singular sentence and rant on that. Completely leaving out the following sentence.
And my statement is that these "safe areas and neighborhoods" are very hard to come by since most of the state is infested with crime , as statistics show, from small, tiny town to large city to mid-size town.

Funny how you accuse me of bashing the rich, yet in your post you say that poverty brings crime and theft according to your own experience (study after study shows that there is no causal relationship between poverty and crime, but that's another topic)

You were not required to address anything, this is a free country bu you said I have no facts so I brought them out and I showed you the crime statistics, most towns and cities in NM are crime ridden, that's a FACT.

When someone asks where they should move in NM (or anywhere else for that matter), the first thing to ask is "what's important to you" and if crime is one of them things then they should do their checking. If national average is X and a place has 1.5X or 2X or 3X then you got a 1.5, 2 or 3 times the shot of being a victim, simple as that. You may be OK with that but you should know it too.

You are right, crime can happen anywhere and yes, you should be vigilant about yourself and your surroundings but stats are stats.... There is always an example of something somewhere so your car getting broken into in Santa Ana would be the exception to the rule for Santa Ana and the norm in Espanola - which place would most normal people choose - where crime is exception or crime is rule?

OD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2012, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Old Town
1,932 posts, read 3,128,086 times
Reputation: 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
And my statement is that these "safe areas and neighborhoods" are very hard to come by since most of the state is infested with crime , as statistics show, from small, tiny town to large city to mid-size town.
No. What you said is that for one to live in a safe neighborhood you had to be able to afford a upper $300k home. Which is simply incorrect. Your initial statement is not a fact.

Quote:
Funny how you accuse me of bashing the rich, yet in your post you say that poverty brings crime and theft according to your own experience
I am not accusing you or bashing the rich. You show that all on your own. You obviously have problem with the poor also.

Quote:
You were not required to address anything, this is a free country bu you said I have no facts so I brought them out and I showed you the crime statistics, most towns and cities in NM are crime ridden, that's a FACT.
Again. You stated that unless you can afford an upper $300k home you are not safe. That is what I was referring to. Then you went off on your tangent. delta initially stated 'Abuquerque, besides it's size and crime' was what started this. Albuquerque/NM has lots of neighborhoods that you don't have to be able to afford expensive homes to be safe. THAT was the point.

"Example of you insinuating that only those that can afford high 300k+ homes are safe."

Remember that? Facts are facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2012, 10:53 AM
 
2,878 posts, read 3,698,897 times
Reputation: 3066
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
No. What you said is that for one to live in a safe neighborhood you had to be able to afford a upper $300k home. Which is simply incorrect. Your initial statement is not a fact.
I stand corrected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top