Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2015, 08:29 AM

136 posts, read 217,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by croquemme View Post
I'm not saying the windows will literally make the apartment bigger; just that they will make it feel less cramped, which I consider to be an important factor in choosing a space. I've been in bigger apartments that haven't really felt that big because they have poor lighting or a bad layout. Personally, I'm willing to go in for a smaller apartment if it's attractive and has a usable layout, and to get furniture that's appropriately scaled for the rooms.

So... you're saying that people wouldn't have even thought about the square footage of the apartments, were it not for all the paperwork, and the construction timeline? Makes no sense. The construction timeline also doesn't seem to be that far off from what was promised, so I don't really get why you keep complaining about it...
I don't know what move-in dates they are promising you, but they are pushing original move-in dates and the actual apartments are not even done. I am skeptical when the project will be done, so the apartment space is the least of the problem, considering other factors involved. The show model apartment was not the actual unit either.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:16 AM

10 posts, read 16,222 times
As I said before, I wasn't very impressed with the size of the apts. at all. I've seen the the studio, the 1 bd, the 2 bd, and the 3 bd and all of them felt cramped in Commons. No matter how the layout is or how big the windows are, once you pack in all your stuff, there is not gonna be too much room left for maneuvering. In any event, it had more of a hotel or motel feel rather than a homey apt complex. More like an institutional feel to it as well. If you look closely at the pictures of the units on the HPS promotional website, you can see that they used photographic tricks to make the apts look larger than seeing it in actual person the way I did.

There is a reason why the rents are bubkas compared to elsewhere....

Old 06-16-2015, 09:40 AM

Default Commons

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPS Non-applicant View Post
As I said before, I wasn't very impressed with the size of the apts. at all. I've seen the the studio, the 1 bd, the 2 bd, and the 3 bd and all of them felt cramped in Commons. No matter how the layout is or how big the windows are, once you pack in all your stuff, there is not gonna be too much room left for maneuvering. In any event, it had more of a hotel or motel feel rather than a homey apt complex. More like an institutional feel to it as well. If you look closely at the pictures of the units on the HPS promotional website, you can see that they used photographic tricks to make the apts look larger than seeing it in actual person the way I did.

Yeah, agree. Even with these small apartments in place, they are sure taking their sweet time. I haven't seen any work done over the weekend either. I wouldn't be so frustrated if they kept their original move in date, since time is of the essence. With all these factors, I am disappointed in this project. The views are not that stunning either considering the apartments face brick walls, buildings, and etc., and if u r lucky enough maybe a skyline. No one seems to know what's coming off, and when it will be finished. It looks like two workers per floor doing the jobs. At that rate, they will never finish, no wonder it took that long to do the project. It not like they care, as long as they are getting paid to do their work.

Overall, nothing to be excited about!

Old 06-16-2015, 02:53 PM

19 posts, read 36,829 times
Quote:
FWIW, the floor plans on the HPS website do have dimensions listed. Properties | Hunter's Point South Living - BRAND NEW - Studio, 1-Bedroom, 2-Bedroom, and 3-Bedroom Moderately Priced Rent Stabilized Apartments

The floor plan I was assigned is pretty similar, in terms of square footage, to the 1-bedroom shown on the website, though the layout is somewhat different.

I agree that the apartments are on the small side, but they seem to be well laid out and to have ample storage space. I expect the large windows will also help them feel bigger than they actually are.
I do not know if you saw these photos

Living room | QueensCourier.com

Old 06-16-2015, 04:02 PM

170 posts, read 315,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEKNEES View Post
I do not know if you saw these photos

Living room | QueensCourier.com
I did. Clearly, the rooms are not enormous, but they appear to be a reasonable size and to hold a decent amount of furniture (provided it's appropriately scaled). They meet my expectations, anyway; this is NYC, I'm not expecting palatial rooms. And I don't feel like we've been deceived as to what we'd be getting.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:23 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,883,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPS Non-applicant View Post

This type of complaint is more common with modern day construction rather than an isolated incident with this apartment building. As the saying goes, they don't make them like they use to. I would focus on the lifestyle and amenities rather than the size of the apartment.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:28 PM

46 posts, read 65,059 times
Quote:
I did. Clearly, the rooms are not enormous, but they appear to be a reasonable size and to hold a decent amount of furniture (provided it's appropriately scaled). They meet my expectations, anyway; this is NYC, I'm not expecting palatial rooms. And I don't feel like we've been deceived as to what we'd be getting.
Exactly... There are always going to be pros and cons to every development, building or situation ... Instead of complaining just weigh the pros and cons if it's not your cup of tea then move on.. What's the point of sitting there complaint about what missing or how bad is it. HPS is. not forcing anyone to move in or take a apartment so if you think the rent is too high or the apartment is too small or not every apartment faces Manhattan or wherever... DONT APPLY OR DECLINE THE APARTMENT!

I've weighed the pros and cons and I'm in love.. In my case the apartment is worth it and when I was offered an apartment I took it :-)

Sorry just saying..

Old 06-16-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
This type of complaint is more common with modern day construction rather than an isolated incident with this apartment building. As the saying goes, they don't make them like they use to. I would focus on the lifestyle and amenities rather than the size of the apartment.
I don't think that's quite right since your living in the apt most of the time and and the amenities and everything else is secondary. But you are correct that they don't make anything like they used to. However, since space is not such a premium in LIC as in Manhattan, I don't see why the apts in Commons could not have been made larger than they are. So, despite the rhetoric of HPS being affordable housing, ultimately, you get what you pay for...

Old 06-17-2015, 06:58 AM

200 posts, read 374,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtresko View Post
I don't think that's quite right since your living in the apt most of the time and and the amenities and everything else is secondary. But you are correct that they don't make anything like they used to. However, since space is not such a premium in LIC as in Manhattan, I don't see why the apts in Commons could not have been made larger than they are. So, despite the rhetoric of HPS being affordable housing, ultimately, you get what you pay for...

This isn't really an accurate statement of getting what you pay for. Space may be a little less of a premium in LIC than in Manhattan, but LIC is the fastest growing area in NYC right now in terms of real estate. So it's definitely still a premium. I currently live in the area and can tell you that I live in an apartment SMALLER than the one I've been leased in HPS and would be paying MORE and with LESS amenities. So no matter how small HPS is, it's still a deal when compared to other market rate buildings. If you want more space, move further into queens.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:10 AM

Default Move-ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCDenisi View Post
Exactly... There are always going to be pros and cons to every development, building or situation ... Instead of complaining just weigh the pros and cons if it's not your cup of tea then move on.. What's the point of sitting there complaint about what missing or how bad is it. HPS is. not forcing anyone to move in or take a apartment so if you think the rent is too high or the apartment is too small or not every apartment faces Manhattan or wherever... DONT APPLY OR DECLINE THE APARTMENT!

I've weighed the pros and cons and I'm in love.. In my case the apartment is worth it and when I was offered an apartment I took it :-)

Sorry just saying..
Sorry for being noisy, but when are you expecting to move in and what are they promising you? Hope, they are on the ball this time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery