Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2015, 07:21 AM

136 posts, read 217,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCDenisi View Post
Exactly... There are always going to be pros and cons to every development, building or situation ... Instead of complaining just weigh the pros and cons if it's not your cup of tea then move on.. What's the point of sitting there complaint about what missing or how bad is it. HPS is. not forcing anyone to move in or take a apartment so if you think the rent is too high or the apartment is too small or not every apartment faces Manhattan or wherever... DONT APPLY OR DECLINE THE APARTMENT!

I've weighed the pros and cons and I'm in love.. In my case the apartment is worth it and when I was offered an apartment I took it :-)

Sorry just saying..
Sorry for being noisy, but when are you expecting to move in and what are they promising you? Hope, they are on the ball this time!

Old 06-17-2015, 08:18 AM

32 posts, read 45,335 times
I hope the entitlement shown on this thread is not representative of the community moving in...or else I am in for a long year LOL

Old 06-17-2015, 08:22 AM

19 posts, read 36,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by croquemme View Post
I did. Clearly, the rooms are not enormous, but they appear to be a reasonable size and to hold a decent amount of furniture (provided it's appropriately scaled). They meet my expectations, anyway; this is NYC, I'm not expecting palatial rooms. And I don't feel like we've been deceived as to what we'd be getting.
If I get an apt I am taking it , I will never find a 2 bedroom with amenities in NYC for this price,I find that some of the applicants on the thread are acting like someone is forcing them to live there.

If they don't want the apts they should leave them for people like myself who do .

Old 06-17-2015, 08:47 AM

46 posts, read 65,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEKNEES View Post
If I get an apt I am taking it , I will never find a 2 bedroom with amenities in NYC for this price,I find that some of the applicants on the thread are acting like someone is forcing them to live there.

If they don't want the apts they should leave them for people like myself who do .
Exactly my point 😊

Old 06-17-2015, 08:48 AM

46 posts, read 65,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtresko View Post
Sorry for being noisy, but when are you expecting to move in and what are they promising you? Hope, they are on the ball this time!
I'm expecting to move in end of September to the commons building in a 2 bedroom, middle income.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:58 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,883,497 times
Quote:
I don't think that's quite right since your living in the apt most of the time and and the amenities and everything else is secondary.
This depends on your lifestyle. If you are the type of person who spends a lot of time in your apartment you will not enjoy it. However, if your life revolves around Manhattan either due to work obligation (long work hours) or social life (friends and entertainment) you will enjoy the short commute and view of your apartment.

Quote:
However, since space is not such a premium in LIC as in Manhattan, I don't see why the apts in Commons could not have been made larger than they are. So, despite the rhetoric of HPS being affordable housing, ultimately, you get what you pay for...
NYC real estate is a global commodity that is prices on real time similar to stock exchange. Once the announcement for rezoning an area and development rumors start spreading the price instantly starts to go up in the neighborhood. The difficulty for people renting right now is the place is being priced for what it will become rather than what it currently is (lack of amenities in the area).

Old 06-17-2015, 09:05 AM

170 posts, read 315,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEKNEES View Post

Yeah, for real. I don't get what all the complaining is about. Sounds like sour grapes to me. Especially talking about there being no good views... I mean, seriously? Maybe a small proportion of apartments have a disappointing view, but most have really amazing views.

I didn't think I would ever be able to afford to live somewhere as nice as the apartment I got. I make a decent middle-class salary, and I figured I'd be stuck in a dated walk-up with no amenities, farther out in Queens, for the rest of my life. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd ever live in a brand-new doorman building with laundry and a gym, and have an apartment with a view of Manhattan and a park right outside.

I have to assume some people are just delusional about the lottery process. It's like they assumed someone would roll out the red carpet for them and give them first pick of the apartments, which would be completed instantly by magic.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:17 AM

Default Move-ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCDenisi View Post
I'm expecting to move in end of September to the commons building in a 2 bedroom, middle income.
My impression is that only lower floor units are done, while the others are still in construction. I am assuming you are more on an upper level, right? Did you sign the lease yet?

Old 06-17-2015, 09:19 AM

Default Views

Quote:
Originally Posted by croquemme View Post
Yeah, for real. I don't get what all the complaining is about. Sounds like sour grapes to me. Especially talking about there being no good views... I mean, seriously? Maybe a small proportion of apartments have a disappointing view, but most have really amazing views.

I didn't think I would ever be able to afford to live somewhere as nice as the apartment I got. I make a decent middle-class salary, and I figured I'd be stuck in a dated walk-up with no amenities, farther out in Queens, for the rest of my life. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd ever live in a brand-new doorman building with laundry and a gym, and have an apartment with a view of Manhattan and a park right outside.

I have to assume some people are just delusional about the lottery process. It's like they assumed someone would roll out the red carpet for them and give them first pick of the apartments, which would be completed instantly by magic.

I assume you probably have a good view and wasn't selected for a brick wall view, since quite a few apts do face construction.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:02 AM

200 posts, read 374,762 times
Quote:
I assume you probably have a good view and wasn't selected for a brick wall view, since quite a few apts do face construction.
To be fair, she's also probably paying 1800 more than the ones who are being offered a brick wall. my friend was offered a one bedroom brick facing apartment for 700 at HPS. I'll take no window for that amount!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery