Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2017, 06:09 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,857,841 times

Advertisements

Thanks Knight! Knowing that they interview 5 x more people than there are slots actually puts my mind at ease a little bit. I'm glad to know it's more so I don't feel so bad about possibly losing out on this, and it also gives me hope in future interviews and lotteries in that it's kinda sorta 1 in 5-ish as opposed to them interviewing hundreds of people for each apartment which is what I feared most.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:10 PM

Also don't be embarrassed finding out and sharing all this info. Trust me you are helping many people and putting some minds at ease. I think over the lasts few months we've all done a pretty good job of keeping each other up to date and helping each other with questions that we couldn't always figure out on our own.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:13 PM

31 posts, read 33,421 times
Would they really pull a whole new batch of interviews if they have nothing left? My interview is in a couple of weeks.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:18 PM

It's very possible they still have units in your income band, especially if you have some sort of preference. I'd imagine?! Don't blow it off. There could be slots left for you. The process has been so long and drawn out I bet a good number of people have had status changes in income, family size, etc.. in the mean time. Then they have to back and pick the lowest next log number in your category?

Old 02-08-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
It's very possible they still have units in your income band, especially if you have some sort of preference. I'd imagine?! Don't blow it off. There could be slots left for you. The process has been so long and drawn out I bet a good number of people have had status changes in income, family size, etc.. in the mean time. Then they have to back and pick the lowest next log number in your category?
yeah I'm one of those ppl...income has changed from originally bracket. I reached out to them and they told me to come in anyway. We'll see what happens. I also have no preferences at all and my log # isn't particularly low....6XXX

Old 02-08-2017, 06:36 PM

See, now that is weird. Did your income go up or did it go down? Are you in a different income bracket now than you were when you originally applied? If your income dropped and put you in a lower income band, doesn't that bump someone off from the lower income bracket with a lower log #!? And vice versa!? If your income went up during this process now you are being interviewed for an apartment in the higher income bracket? That seems weird to me and defeats the point of a lottery, but this whole thing is more confusing than Calculus.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
See, now that is weird. Did your income go up or did it go down? Are you in a different income bracket now than you were when you originally applied? If your income dropped and put you in a lower income band, doesn't that bump someone off from the lower income bracket with a lower log #!? And vice versa!? If your income went up during this process now you are being interviewed for an apartment in the higher income bracket? That seems weird to me and defeats the point of a lottery, but this whole thing is more confusing than Calculus.
My partner lost his job and I'm in a lower income bracket now. I was told - from the forum - they bring you in because you sort of fit into one of the brackets and then they review your income when you arrive. Unless, I'm missing something.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:43 PM

114 posts, read 180,196 times
I told you that. They invited you to come in because your initial application looked "close enough" and now they do the intake in large part to confirm how "close enough" you are. In a case like yours, things may have changed! The only way to know is to go. Can I ask what bracket of apartments you think you're in? Don't need to say your old or new income, just what apartments you and your partner would be up for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr8408 View Post
My partner lost his job and I'm in a lower income bracket now. I was told - from the forum - they bring you in because you sort of fit into one of the brackets and then they review your income when you arrive. Unless, I'm missing something.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:51 PM

10 posts, read 15,567 times
Default Got Called for an Interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS013 View Post
I've noticed that most lotteries, it's more closer to 1-2 months after the last date applications are accepted. I think on the Housing Connect website, it says about 2 months, but for many of the lotteries I've applied to, it's less than 2 months.

What other lotteries have you applied to? I've only seen Housing Connect. Btw, I was selected and have an interview for 461 Dean street next week. I hope I get it. I'm scared because I got a raise at work since I applied and I think it'll bump me up to the highest rent bracket. :/ Let's see how it goes.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:54 PM

Yeah I can understand overall frustration but to me I kind of feel like why not? But I am also in a stable (not the best, but stable) living condition and I feel like it doesn't hurt to try. I was called for another place a long time ago and I was rejected at the interview, if it happens again it is what it is.

I'm assuming it would be middle income? We now fit into 2 brackets the 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom for 2 ppl. Is that enough info? haha. Before we fit into one bracket for a 1bdrm only.

Since applying my partner lost his job and I got a new job and a raise but not enough to bump into the original bracket. He's currently looking for work and interviewing so at this point I'm like I have no control over what happens let's see how the chips fall. Because he could very well get a job by our interview date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery