Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2017, 11:29 AM

40 posts, read 50,045 times

Advertisements

Thanks JRW! I just spoke to them and "all they could confirm" was that they received all my documents. I'm definitely going to stop by next week.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:43 AM

155 posts, read 187,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norikins29 View Post
Thanks JRW! I just spoke to them and "all they could confirm" was that they received all my documents. I'm definitely going to stop by next week.
No problem, I just know it was effective for me to make myself known. It is truly a big, tough game to play and you gotta find the loopholes to get some "praise" from them. It is indeed frustrating and hellacious on many people's ends, with the log number mumbo jumbo. From the beginning, 461 completely forgot about the 2%, so that completely messed up the routine for them. I'm under the 2% priority and if I didn't voice anything, nothing probably would have happened and they wouldn't abide by it.

I'd voice your complaints to HDC and make as many suggestions you could to improve the process. Especially dealing with the compression of many eligible applicants to amount of apartments being filled in. I mentioned it would be a relief to have everything sent electronically and things would be smoother, but they don't like personal/sensitive information being sent through the internet. Which is understandable, but what better way can you make out of it.

Curious to hear feedback from this. Let's use 461 as the example.. 84,000+ applicants to 181 apartments, and you have possibly thousands of eligibles, log numbers may or may not mean much and the communication of waiting lists and whatnots ....

Old 02-09-2017, 02:20 PM

19 posts, read 26,000 times
I had emailed and asked for a status. They replied asking my log number. I told them and they got back to me saying i could come in at any time to inquire about the status. I replied asking their hours and that is what they replied to that with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynsfinest1 View Post
Boerum,

Did you send an email requesting a status update or they just sent you an email saying that you are on a wait list?

Old 02-09-2017, 02:27 PM

I was never submitted to HDC. At my last meeting they told me I would be back in a couple weeks to sign the paperwork in my package and then to view an apartment. I never heard, so I followed up twice prior to this via email and they responded this time like this.

I think that almost anyone submitted to HDC, will get through, just from experiences I am reading here.

But, to answer your question, waitlists and denials, but mostly waitlists because I feel you would hear about a denial by now and approvals are a phone call/lease signing/move in date, not letters. The denials are very fast and happen early on, even with the appeal. I noticed they like to weed out the definite denials very fast and firstly.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:29 PM

Log is 19,xxx, disability & CB preference. I qualified for a studio @ 1588 and a 1bdr @ 1991.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:44 PM

114 posts, read 180,196 times
Boerum, thank you. I'm interested to hear how things go for you, bc we're in very similar income brackets (potentially). Just to repeat, I'm #5,XXX with CB preference (maybe). Wishing you the very best as our wait continues.

Oh, and to be clear: I've heard absolutely nothing, not a peep. I e-mail now and then and get usually fairly anodyne responses. I've not been rejected, I don't know if I've been officially waitlisted, but I've not been called in for any level of second screening.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:15 PM

155 posts, read 187,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoerumBabe View Post
Log is 19,xxx, disability & CB preference. I qualified for a studio @ 1588 and a 1bdr @ 1991.
Just keep pushing!

Old 02-10-2017, 08:32 AM

7 posts, read 5,882 times
Jrw314, I was the first person to be assigned a unit in Oct, and unfortunately I am part of the 2% disabled. They told me congratulations, that I should play the lottery for real for bring so lucky. And that to be patient, that anything hdc needs, if anything, it shouldn't be of any concern. So, I'm a bit insulted that they told you they 'forgot' about me, and my horrific disabilities? Yes. Multiple. I guess I shouldn't take it so personally, but that's like a punch in my stomach. I'm all packed, waiting for call to sign lease. I was not asked for any new documents, so hdc must have approved me back in oct when my documents were sent in. I'm packed and ready to go, since they have been telling me to be patient, I have been. I can't get upset, bc then I will wind up back in the hospital. But they did not 'forget' about the 2%. I can't imagine with my medical crisis, anyone could forget.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:11 AM

114 posts, read 180,196 times
Ernestone, I'm sure you've been calling absolutely everyone and raising a fuss, but just to double check: have you tried calling First Service? They're the property manager in charge of leasing. I've heard from other commenters that pressure on them is the way to make things happen.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:31 AM

7 posts, read 5,882 times
I've never heard of first service before, but I will try them. I've been told non disabled applicants have been given the courtesy of waitlist/rejection communications. Maybe I'm in denial, but I can't see these people that were so incredibly kind as not extending the same courtesy to a disabled person. This apt is my shot at independence after years. I'm going on the assumption that whoever is telling applicants they 'forgot' this 2% of people , that they singled out themselves into a different category , must be a new employee. Been extremely positive since oct, going to continue to do so. But will reach out to the group you indicated. I have several people gracious enough to help me with my move,they've been on standby since oct, as they need to give their jobs notice to take the days off to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery