Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 11:20 AM

30 posts, read 34,594 times

Advertisements

Yep I know. Just letting yall know I applied to as I saw it. Good luck. Fingers crossed. Hope we get in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2023, 11:45 AM

522 posts, read 506,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animal_respecter View Post
Good luck all! I'm becoming desperate. 130% AMI and I've been applying to almost all listings in Brooklyn/Manhattan since December 2020 - I haven't been asked to submit documentation for a single unit, even one I thought I had a low log for.

Please let this be the one hah.
Definitely make sure your information is up to date if your address is outside of NYC they won't contact you and if your income doesn't match the range they won't contact you either if you haven't already

Old 10-09-2023, 12:00 PM

112 posts, read 97,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaMar83 View Post
100% and also what might be a deal breaker for a tenant, might be perfect for another.

On another note, did anyone notice that a lot of these apartments, even those without a "view", have terraces? Idk about anyone else, but I'll take a private terrace over a view any day! As someone who has children, I'd rather have that extra space to let my child run free, safely, and have space for extra storage.
I don’t see any with terraces….

Old 10-09-2023, 08:54 PM

250 posts, read 220,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71293kate View Post
Definitely make sure your information is up to date if your address is outside of NYC they won't contact you and if your income doesn't match the range they won't contact you either if you haven't already
I thought they would contact person with addresses outside of New York but only after all the preferences and general population units have been filled

Old 10-10-2023, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denellis View Post
I thought they would contact person with addresses outside of New York but only after all the preferences and general population units have been filled
They are supposed to but if you live outside NYC you likely won’t ever be contacted because these lotteries never run out of NYC applicants. There are 8 million people in this city…

Old 10-10-2023, 08:42 AM

30 posts, read 30,158 times
Y’all need to stop spreading that lie. If your log is low, you will be contacted. CB preferences are typically set at 50% meaning the other 50% is going to people outside that board, meaning literally anywheeeeere outside that board. The downside of these forums is that people come here for advice, but people see each other as competition and try to steer people away from applying altogether to increase their odds

Old 10-10-2023, 08:55 AM

1,703 posts, read 1,445,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkerturnedliver View Post
Y’all need to stop spreading that lie. If your log is low, you will be contacted. CB preferences are typically set at 50% meaning the other 50% is going to people outside that board, meaning literally anywheeeeere outside that board. The downside of these forums is that people come here for advice, but people see each other as competition and try to steer people away from applying altogether to increase their odds
This is false, YOU should stop spreading lies. There IS a general preference for anyone who is a NYC resident, over everyone who is not a NYC resident. Please read the HPD marketing handbook, page 38:

"After fulfilling the disability set-asides and Community Board, municipal employee,
and any remaining preference requirements, applicants in the general pool who
reside in New York City must be processed before non-New York City residents.
"

https://www.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/downl...dbook-8-21.pdf

Those not living in NYC can certainly apply but they should be aware that their chances are extremely small.

Old 10-10-2023, 09:53 AM

250 posts, read 220,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
This is false, YOU should stop spreading lies. There IS a general preference for anyone who is a NYC resident, over everyone who is not a NYC resident. Please read the HPD marketing handbook, page 38:

"After fulfilling the disability set-asides and Community Board, municipal employee,
"

Those not living in NYC can certainly apply but they should be aware that their chances are extremely small.
This is exactly where I got the information from glad you were able to post it and correct the above commenter and confirm what I know

Old 10-10-2023, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post

"

Exactly. Nobody said you CAN’T win living outside NYC just that the chances are extremely small.. it took me YEARS to win an apartment and I only won one IN my community board. I always got waitlisted for the ones outside my community board. ALL NYC applicants go BEFORE non-NYC applicants. Many of us on here have already won nice apartments through the lottery and are solely on here to share the information we have to help others not to be competitive.

Old 10-10-2023, 12:26 PM

50 posts, read 57,975 times
If are chances as a NYC RESIDENT IS ALTEADY SLIM I WOULDNT BANK ON IT AS A NON RESIDENT YOU GOT RESIDENTS WHO TELL YOU THEY’VE BEEN ON HOUSING FOR YEARSSSSSSSS INCLUDING MYSELF BUT IF ITS WORTH THE TRY. I’ve never met or hear anyone outside of nyc winning or being considered although they mentioned you have a chance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery