Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 03:14 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,825 times

Advertisements

The folks are just ignorant. I agree though that the victim should have helped the lady and not even have said anything to the perpetrators. You gotta pick your battles, plus we all know dudes get real macho when they're boys are around so confronting them would have been a losing situation for the guy. As far as the cackling in the background. Those chicks were hoodrats, the bottom members of society and thus, their reactions were of no surprise to me.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:21 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,922,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
The folks are just ignorant. I agree though that the victim should have helped the lady and not even have said anything to the perpetrators. You gotta pick your battles, plus we all know dudes get real macho when they're boys are around so confronting them would have been a losing situation for the guy. As far as the cackling in the background. Those chicks were hoodrats, the bottom members of society and thus, their reactions were of no surprise to me.
I agree. Unless, you're 6'4+ 280 lbs (AKA physically threatening to the majority of dudes) you can't go around being a white knight. I respect what he was trying to do but no one in that car cared for the lady or his safety.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Yeah, now knowing the details of it, I can definitely understand why the man went face to face with the other guys. I commend him for his bravery and humanitarian act.

As for the younger generation (which includes me), I'm not sure I'd say my generation enjoys people suffering and, for the most part, we can be pretty respectful. However, I can admit that it seems like some of my generation have a great need for external validation and with the expansion of the internet last decade, people are more inclined to exploit others (and themselves) for a few minutes of fame. So in my observation, it's not that people are necessarily more violent, it's that a lot of people are starving some kind fame/attention/recognition.
I agree. Violent crime is actually much lower than it was back in the 80s and 90s when drugs was the pretty much the reason one had to get violent with others. Nowadays though, because these young kids were so deprived of attention when they were children, plus the fact that a lot of these dudes were raised around mostly women, not only are these guys starving for attention, but they are also hyper-emotional and feel a constant need to rebel and lash out in order to be noticed. Real deep stuff.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:25 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Klato View Post
I agree. Unless, you're 6'4+ 280 lbs (AKA physically threatening to the majority of dudes) you can't go around being a white knight. I respect what he was trying to do but no one in that car cared for the lady or his safety.
What you describe sounds just like me physically. I agree size does get you out of trouble. Because of my size and my look Im also mistakin for an undercover cop. I had many guys who size me up and do nothing after words. I heard so many black guys tell me, I aint F$^^Yng with that Ni$$a. As for none one caring? I guess its a liability issues involved. How extremely liberal this state is, criminals and suspects are allowed to sue for punitive damages against a good samaratan.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 11-17-2011 at 04:27 PM..

Old 11-17-2011, 03:27 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
@ sobroguy that was the video we were speaking about before that happened by my area... I hadn't heard the full details I had just seen the video on WSHH about a week ago... I take back everything I said about this man... I didn't realize the full situation... Now that I think about it and the position he was in I would like to think I would do the same thing and hopefully others would as well... But unfortunately what this man said about today's generation is so true... Young people seem to genuinely enjoy seeing others suffer far more today than back then...

Do you have a link to that video on world star hip hop? I was looking for it but can not find it

Old 11-17-2011, 03:30 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,810,077 times
@ njnyckid didn't mean to offend... I know you cannot make a blanket statement about a whole group of people... I tend to preach that on here as well so sorry to include you in that... I guess it just seems as if a growing number of youth today seem to enjoy capturing these types of videos and they don't have to be hoodrats either... I see all kinds of races, cultures, classes of youth doing this today... it doesn't seem to be as isolated as it was back then when you didn't hear about that though some knew about it (as jcoltrane had mentioned before in an earlier comment)...

This is what bothers me so much about a good number of young people today... You have those that because we live in a coddled and spoiled generation nowadays where parents want to do everything for their children to keep them out of harms way at whatever the cost, the young ones look at anything happening to them as the end of the world... and yet when they see someone else suffering or going through a situation like this, they point and laugh and click the record button for instant fame...

Just on my personal experience (and everyone's is different), I feel like what we see today would not happen on a large scale 20 years ago because that was a period of genuine struggle... the poor/working/working middle class kids of all races back then saw things on a regular basis that most kids nowadays see every once in awhile and so it is exciting to them when it happens...

Old 11-17-2011, 03:46 PM

Video: Violated: Man Gets Popped On The L Train In NY! (3 On 1)

Old 11-17-2011, 03:47 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
Anon I have to disagree with your statement. I was around 20 years ago, and what I saw back then was some scary stuff....today's crime is fairly tame in comparison. Sure it's still crime, and this particular incident was horrendous, but it was on a larger scale 20 years ago. These incidences are much more rare today, but because everything is uploaded instantaneously, it seems more prevalent and scary b/c we see it all firsthand. But don't be fooled, it was much more common and perverse before, there just weren't any handy cameras or internet to really highlight the incidences.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:48 PM

Video: Violated: Man Gets Popped On The L Train In NY! (3 On 1)

@ bronxguyanese here's the link... It was posted on November 7th

Old 11-17-2011, 03:50 PM

@ sobroguy... do you even read what people write... Read carefully next time please...

"This is what bothers me so much about a good number of young people today... You have those that because we live in a coddled and spoiled generation nowadays where parents want to do everything for their children to keep them out of harms way at whatever the cost, the young ones look at anything happening to them as the end of the world... and yet when they see someone else suffering or going through a situation like this, they point and laugh and click the record button for instant fame...

Just on my personal experience (and everyone's is different), I feel like what we see today would not happen on a large scale 20 years ago because that was a period of genuine struggle... the poor/working/working middle class kids of all races back then saw things on a regular basis that most kids nowadays see every once in awhile and so it is exciting to them when it happens..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City