Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 03:55 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,382,695 times

Advertisements

I am not sure what I am missing. I saw the same kids laughing 20 years ago at this stuff, except there was no cameras or internet to upload it and share with the world. What we see today DID happen on a larger scale 20 years ago....and today is the period of the greatest struggle..greater than anytime since the depression in fact.

I am not sure what I am missing? I am disagreeing with both your points.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:00 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,810,855 times
Despite the fact that we are in a recession... We will agree to disagree that today's generation of youth goes through more nowadays in terms of crime, poverty, and broken families than they did in the 70s, 80s and 90s... But I am sure if we were to take a poll of when was it worse back then or now the answers would overwhelmingly favor nowadays...

I honestly think you just enjoying arguing the opposite point even when it contradicts your own points... For example, you preach on here every single minute of every hour of every day how crime was worse back then over now (even when no one disagrees with you)... and then when I argue the same point you say no that things are as bad as they have ever been since the depression?! And then you expect us to actually take anything you say seriously...

Old 11-17-2011, 04:08 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,922,638 times
Unless, you witness all the crimes committed by teens to young adults 20 yrs ago to present then you can't really make that comparison. A lot of these crimes go un-noticed, un-reported, or are not videotaped and uploaded to youtube (back then and now).

Old 11-17-2011, 04:19 PM

It's amazing how many people can read a simple statement and not comprehend what it means... What I am saying is that (as I pointed out) in my experience being a kid that grew up in East New York in the late 70s, 80s and even early 90s kids weren't pointing and laughing at someone they didn't know just for kicks... There was enough problems out there for kids not to get pleasure out of that ignorant stuff...

Like I said and apparently I'll have to repeat again... In my experience one of three things would happen when people scrapped... 1) a crowd would gather to cheer a friend of theirs or boo and laugh at the person they didn't like... 2) in a gang fight where both gangs were present, battles were done one on one to see which gang was tougher and as soon as the other fighter won the scrap they pulled him off the guy when it was enough 3) people just minded their business and kept it moving... They didn't record that crap because it was everywhere... It didn't need to be recorded... Why would you have to see something that you could probably see everyday... That's what it was in the hood... Fights broke out all the time... No one got excited over a stupid fight... Nowadays, because that type of stuff doesn't happen nearly as much as it used too back then, people in the hood wanna prove that they still get down, so they record every little situation they see from loud mouths cursing at each other to what we saw in the video... And aside from a few good samaritans like that guy who came to the aid of the lady, you do not see people like that as much...

Back then, if a drunk or ignorant thugs came in the train and tried to hassle an old lady... his *** would get jumped by everyone in the train... They knew not to get stupid with the wrong people...

Old 11-17-2011, 05:04 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,291,293 times
Anon makes a very good point. Like I said in another post, violent crime nowadays is all about seeking attention ("look at me, look at me..imma tough guy!") and getting cool points from people on the internet. Back in the 80's and 90s, you either had to commit violence because you were either in a gang, sold drugs, did drugs, or self-defense. None of it was an attempt at attention whoring, you fought because you had to and because the quality of life was arguably much lower back then, violence was much more prevalent. Didn't NYC clock over 3,000 murders back in '93?? I don't even think most of the kids in that video were alive back then, let alone really understand how terrible the older generation really had it back then. Some dude getting jumped on the train is probably the most dangerous thing most of those kids ever saw in their lives.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:10 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,922,638 times
ANON1

Quote:
In my experience one of three things would happen when people scrapped... 1) a crowd would gather to cheer a friend of theirs or boo and laugh at the person they didn't like... 2) in a gang fight where both gangs were present, battles were done one on one to see which gang was tougher and as soon as the other fighter won the scrap they pulled him off the guy when it was enough 3) people just minded their business and kept it moving... They didn't record that crap because it was everywhere...
This is true today. Not all fights are recorded and posted on Youtube.

Quote:
It didn't need to be recorded... Why would you have to see something that you could probably see everyday... That's what it was in the hood... Fights broke out all the time... No one got excited over a stupid fight...
A good portion of people get excited over a fight. This goes back to the gladiator days. Sex and Violence can tame a human. It is main core of the bread and circus of the past and the present-day media.

Quote:
Nowadays, because that type of stuff doesn't happen nearly as much as it used too back then, people in the hood wanna prove that they still get down, so they record every little situation they see from loud mouths cursing at each other to what we saw in the video...
Again, there's no way to prove that it does not happen as much as it did back then. Some crime go un-reported. Especially, now with the internet and social media. This behavior also exists in the rich areas. Social medias like facebook/youtube/WSHH makes it cool to capture a fight or an illegal activity. If this technology existed back then you would have had the same event.

Quote:
And aside from a few good samaritans like that guy who came to the aid of the lady, you do not see people like that as much...

Back then, if a drunk or ignorant thugs came in the train and tried to hassle an old lady... his *** would get jumped by everyone in the train... They knew not to get stupid with the wrong people...
This kid's name and face is all over the internet. No one wants that kind of celebrity status since it can ruin your reputation and work-life. This also can exacerbate the bystander effect.

I highly doubt your bolded statement. So why isn't Kitty Genovese alive today if back in your days the white knights out numbered the cynical or coward knights.

Technology has changed but people are still the same maybe worse.

Last edited by Mr. Klato; 11-17-2011 at 05:29 PM..

Old 11-17-2011, 05:27 PM

669 posts, read 1,274,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Klato View Post
ANON1

A good portion of people get excited over a fight. This goes back to the gladiator days. Sex and Violence can tame a human. It is main core of the bread and circus of the past and the present-day media.

Again, there's no way to prove that it does not happen as much as it did back then. Some crime go un-reported. Especially, now with the internet and social media. This behavior also exists in the rich areas. Social medias like facebook/youtube/WSHH makes it cool to capture a fight or an illegal activity. If this technology existed back then you would have had the same event.

This kid's name and face is all over the internet. No one wants that kind of celebrity status since it can ruin your reputation and work-life. This also can exacerbates the bystander effect.

I highly doubt your bolded statement. So why isn't Kitty Genovese alive today if back in your days the white knights out numbered the cynical or coward knights.

100% true

Old 11-17-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Klato View Post
ANON1

This kid's name and face is all over the internet. No one wants that kind of celebrity status since it can ruin your reputation and work-life. This also can exacerbate the bystander effect.

Murder of Kitty Genovese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-17-2011, 06:40 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Video: Violated: Man Gets Popped On The L Train In NY! (3 On 1)

@ bronxguyanese here's the link... It was posted on November 7th
Saw the video. IT looks like Atlanta and parts of Alabama is a live and well in parts of NYC.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:11 AM

810 posts, read 837,654 times
In the past even the youth thugs had a little more sense than to pick on elderly women and little kids. The hoodlums of today are the first to target them on the street. But those overgrown savages are just "bored kids", right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City