Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 09:49 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,810,855 times

Advertisements

I agree @ MJ... It was more about respect... As ignorant and violent as we were as a young generation during that time we still had respect for our elders because we knew we would get the stuffing knocked out of us if we did anything that stupid... Again, it all goes back to the coddled generation we as parents have created... That Dr. Spock generation of kids where parents because they felt they were mistreated as children had to do better by not disciplining their children at all and creating little monsters who had no respect for any authority...

Again... by no means does that mean that things are worse now (though by certain definitions you can certainly argue that this generation is worse off because of it), but nowadays we definitely do see more bored youth attacking elders or professional players to prove that their generation is as hard as previous ones... And in reality all it proves is that they pick on what they can handle...

Man this generation is so backwards they think that beating up an 80 year old for 15 dollars makes you hard... No... What that does is make you a punk... As I've said time and time again, the youth is really bored nowadays... Crime is at all-time lows so the things we had to worry about that kept us occupied, they don't have to worry about... And you would think that with all the extra things to do nowadays that there would be no way you can have so many options and still be bored but unfortunately what this technology has done is create a bunch of young ones that have the attention span of a gerbal who cannot stay focused on anything important for more than an hour...

Finally, I want everyone to understand that I am not including all youth because there are still a number of youth that go through what we went through in really tough environments and are genuinely struggling as well as kids that work really hard to get out of the environment that they're in...That being said, just going on the eye test, the numbers of these kids are in the minority whereas those I mentioned in the beginning seem to be the majority and its sad because we as parents did this to our children by trying to be there friends instead of their parents...

Old 11-18-2011, 10:01 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,382,695 times
Anon you do realize everything you are saying today about youth are the exact same things people our age (and older) said when you were a kid about your generation? You are just getting older. The only difference between when you were a kid and kids today is cameras are everywhere and the internet exists.

Do you actually believe that if cameras and the internet existed back then, that you and your friends would not be doing the exact same things? Sorry to say it, but they would be doing the same thing, and you would be seeing criminal acts that are far scarier..and would refute your claims about all the "respect" of your generation back then. Cuz beating up an 80 year old in the 70s and 80s by teens never happened? Really? Nobody ever got stomped on the train and laughed at in 1975? RIGHT.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:10 AM

I know the generation I grew up in... Again my experience may be different than yours and that is fine and I respect your opinion but I know what I saw and we knew that if we were to ever disrespect or intentionally hurt a respected older person in the community we would need a pillow to sit on for weeks... Nowadays, because parents do not discipline their children the way we were disciplined, they feel no remorse or fear towards anyone older than them... I can't tell you how many kids I see walking down the street with their parents yelling at them, or hitting them for not getting what they wanted...

Are you kidding me??? You're telling me that stuff like that would happen back then on the regular... One or two cases where a stupid person hit an older person back then doesn't make your case... we are talking about what was the norm back then and what is the norm now...

As much of an ignorant thug I was back then... I knew not to disrespect my parents or any older person for that matter... I was more terrified of my father's belt than any beating someone on the streets could have done to me... And that kept me in check in the house and kept whatever problems I had limited to other teenagers or older gang members that came to jump me... I never started any problems with anyone way older than me cause that was just a really stupid thing to do back then and I would catch grief from anybody and everybody...

Again you can disagree and like I said to each his own and that is your opinion, but I am just telling you how it was when i was growing up in my hood and I don't see that anymore...

Old 11-18-2011, 12:04 PM

810 posts, read 837,654 times
The difference is that those were rare in the past. Now these crimes are a lot more common and go beyond mugging. There have been a lot of beatings and stabbings of old people on the streets, rape of a 90 year old woman, and even rape of an elderly man by male thugs. They basically don't give a **** because they have become a like breed of animals with no souls and will victimize people much weaker than them like a mom with her kids, old people or little children. There is no reason to hit a middle aged woman sitting on the train minding her own business just because homie feels "bored".

Old 11-18-2011, 12:49 PM

I think we all romanticize the past. It is the same way people think the Bronx was perfect in the 40s and 50s..it wasn't but in their narrow and youthful perception, it was. The older generation has been saying the exact same things towards the younger generations forever, and that includes kids who were growing up in the 70s and 80s. The whole world was falling apart back then, and crime was rampant, committed mostly by youth....what do you think the older generation was saying about them?

If there were cameras everywhere recording everything that went on like today, we would all realize old people were getting beat up as much as today, we would know attacks on the train and people laughing were happening then, and we would see all the things we are seeing today...only 10x more of it.

We no doubt had different experiences, but there were many people (like today) who wouldn't dare rob/beat up an old lady, etc, but there were plenty who would/did.

I think you should google old newspaper articles and refresh your memory on what was really happening in the 70s and 80s..it was just as bad/worse than today.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:14 PM

669 posts, read 1,274,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Anon you do realize everything you are saying today about youth are the exact same things people our age (and older) said when you were a kid about your generation? You are just getting older. The only difference between when you were a kid and kids today is cameras are everywhere and the internet exists.

Do you actually believe that if cameras and the internet existed back then, that you and your friends would not be doing the exact same things? Sorry to say it, but they would be doing the same thing, and you would be seeing criminal acts that are far scarier..and would refute your claims about all the "respect" of your generation back then. Cuz beating up an 80 year old in the 70s and 80s by teens never happened? Really? Nobody ever got stomped on the train and laughed at in 1975? RIGHT.

Exactly

Old 11-21-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I think we all romanticize the past. It is the same way people think the Bronx was perfect in the 40s and 50s..it wasn't but in their narrow and youthful perception, it was. The older generation has been saying the exact same things towards the younger generations forever, and that includes kids who were growing up in the 70s and 80s. The whole world was falling apart back then, and crime was rampant, committed mostly by youth....what do you think the older generation was saying about them?

If there were cameras everywhere recording everything that went on like today, we would all realize old people were getting beat up as much as today, we would know attacks on the train and people laughing were happening then, and we would see all the things we are seeing today...only 10x more of it.

We no doubt had different experiences, but there were many people (like today) who wouldn't dare rob/beat up an old lady, etc, but there were plenty who would/did.

I think you should google old newspaper articles and refresh your memory on what was really happening in the 70s and 80s..it was just as bad/worse than today.
Sorry for the late response but like I said before we will agree to disagree... Without question a good number of crime was ignorant youth being the way they have always been... But crime was rampid during that time and adults, teenagers, kids, were all victims as well as perpetrators... It was just a really ugly time... (I am speaking more of the 70s... I will agree with you however in terms of 80s and 90s about the young ones being moreso the main generators of crime but even then nowhere near the levels we see nowadays)...

What I am telling you however is that in terms of youth being blatantly disrecpectful and showing no regard for their elders... I will disagree with you until i'm in the grave on your position that things have always been this way if not worse back then... As I've said a number of times... As bad as things were back then and as bad as the youth was (mainly a product of their environment as opposed to nowadays)... there was far more respect of elders back then than there is now...

The discipline that parents would give back then and the respect that most young ones including myself had of my parents are a thing of the past... If a parent was to discipline their child outside the way it was done all the time back then... Child services would not know what to do with all the new children coming in because all these parents would have been in jail... Because of the lack of discipline and also an excess of government involvement on how parents should raise their kids... A large number of kids from all types of backgrounds walk around as if they can disrespect and disregard whoever they please whether it's a parent, a teacher, an elder, etc.

Again I am speaking in terms of large scale not one or two cases... I'm sure things like what we spoke about happened a number of times back then... I'm not ignorant to the fact that there were rebels back then... that is not what I am debating... What I am telling you is that these things did not happen nowhere near as much as they happen nowadays... And there's no point to continue this conversation cause I know what I saw and my opinion will not change...

Old 11-21-2011, 03:04 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,922,638 times
I am suprised the DN showed the pic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	87552

Old 11-21-2011, 03:05 PM

Wow I am suprised they showed that picture. That never happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City