Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 06:10 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,554,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
Are there any other police agencies in NYC metro that are actually hiring besides the NYPD?
NYC Dept. of Environmental Protection Police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 03:06 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,876,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
What was your test score ranking? I though they tell you where you ranked in test score?
Near 2,000

Old 02-19-2012, 03:34 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
Out of how many test takers?

Old 02-19-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Out of how many test takers?
Alot

Old 02-20-2012, 03:02 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny77 View Post
when u become a cop, can u do something about some traffic tickets i have? you know...favors.
Rookie cops fresh from the academy wont allow you to do them any favors, in the beginning of their career they try to be very strict and correct.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:21 AM

[

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny77 View Post
when u become a cop, can u do something about some traffic tickets i have? you know...favors.
This is true.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:45 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,242,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatrk View Post
I have to agreee with some of what your saying. I'm not knocking community college
"agreee"? "your"? Perhaps there is some value to remedial English classes at community college! Considering the poor level of education provided by NYC public schools, I question whether even an associates degree from a CUNY community college is of much value.
Quote:
as far as the college requirement for the NYPD, I don't think it is necessary in being a cop. I think the educational requirement actually knocks out a lot of candidates that have the street smarts to perform in being a great cop than an educated person in being an ok cop.
Policing has become much more than pounding a beat. Report writing alone, requires an educated officer. Police academies are lengthy. They do not need recruits without the ability to use computers and prepare reports and associated documents.
Quote:
I have been stopped by officers who do not talk to you, they talk down to you. I believe that some of these "kids" who are just above 21 and still live at home with mommy and daddy have no clue on how to talk to people.
Even assuming that portions of your generalized statement are true, do you think that less educated officers would somehow improve this?
Quote:
Let's use the example of a family experiencing a domestic dispute. Many of these cops have no idea in how to deal with a man who has just laid his hands on his wife. Some do not know that machismo is a heavy thing in some families for example. Their answer is to pull out their baton or gun first instead of talking to defuse a confrontation.
Frankly, IMO, an officer taking down a macho thug, who has just beaten his woman, is preferable to whatever kid gloves treatment you prefer.
Quote:
I'm not knocking the cop with 60 credits. I think that there are some that are just as street smart as the one without the educational requirement.
Applicants with street smarts need to temper that with some actual book knowledge and training.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:09 AM

I filled out the questionaire and now just waiting to hear what date I am going for my medical.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:34 PM

943 posts, read 4,259,199 times
I think many of you are overblowing the educational requirement. 90 percent of the country don't require college credits for a police officer, including most state police departments. I think the job can be done just fine without the credits. However, I would never advocate someone without a couple of years of human services experience to become a cop. Being a cop shouldn't be somebody's first experience managing people. They have too much authority for that.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:21 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
I just got a letter in the mail today saying that I passed the NYPD test and I am considered for the July test. I have to fill out a questionare online. After that's completed , I have to take a medical and then a physical test. If those go well, I will most likely start the academy in July. They aren't sure if there is going to be a class though
Congrats and good luck. If you do become a cop, please continue to post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City