Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 05:59 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times

Advertisements

I don't care what anyone says, back then, University Heights and Fordham where south Bronx. I got more ammo now than ever before, so nobody try me.

Fordham road and below was south Bronx. They were all grouped under the same umbrella.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 07:11 PM

34,082 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I don't care what anyone says, back then, University Heights and Fordham where south Bronx. I got more ammo now than ever before, so nobody try me.

Fordham road and below was south Bronx. They were all grouped under the same umbrella.
Nope. Cross Bronx Expressway and all points south.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-29-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Nope. Cross Bronx Expressway and all points south.
You do know that most buildings from CBE to Fordham road where either burnt down or abandoned right?

Old 08-29-2012, 08:45 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
The term was definied as the urban blight and destruction that occured up to Fordham Rd, so I would agree that back then, the "South Bronx" defined up to Fordham on the west side. Today, and recently, that is not true, and the "South Bronx" line has become more of a geographic southern boundary of the Bronx. Today nobody calls University Heights "South Bronx", because it isn't anywhere near the southern part of the borough.

IMO the "South Bronx" ends around 165th street and includes Mott Haven, Melrose, Woodstock, Hunts Point, Longwood, Concourse, and Port Morris neighborhoods. The central Bronx is north of 165th up through Fordham, and includes nabes like West Farms, Morrisania, Mt. Hope, University Heights, Highbridge, Tremont, Crotona/Claremeont, Belmont, western Soundview, Foxhurst, Mount Eden.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
The term was definied as the urban blight and destruction that occured up to Fordham Rd, so I would agree that back then, the "South Bronx" defined up to Fordham on the west side. Today, and recently, that is not true, and the "South Bronx" line has become more of a geographic southern boundary of the Bronx. Today nobody calls University Heights "South Bronx", because it isn't anywhere near the southern part of the borough.

IMO the "South Bronx" ends around 165th street and includes Mott Haven, Melrose, Woodstock, Hunts Point, Longwood, Concourse, and Port Morris neighborhoods. The central Bronx is north of 165th up through Fordham, and includes nabes like West Farms, Morrisania, Mt. Hope, University Heights, Highbridge, Tremont, Crotona/Claremeont, Belmont, western Soundview, Foxhurst, Mount Eden.
I agree. That is all I am saying.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
You do know that most buildings from CBE to Fordham road where either burnt down or abandoned right?
So what. Did they call Bushwick the South Bronx in the 1970's because it had burned out buildings too?

I'm gonna ask some old timers who actually lived in that era during the late 1970s - 1980s and settle it once and for all. I'll report back.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:29 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
my dad worked in federal probation in the 70's and sometimes did field visits in The Bronx. he always made the distinction between the "Central" or "west" bronx and the "south" or "east" Bronx which to him were one and the same("south" and "east" Bronx were the same to him)

he had a field visit on Monroe Avenue around 173rd , an area where he lived when first married. he described feeling very uneasy in the area but claimed it wasn't the "south" or "east" bronx. he took us after a Yankee game in 1977 to see Findlay Avenue around 170th and again Monroe Ave. we saw a lot of abandonment and trash filled lots as we did on Jerome Ave around the stadium in the 170's. i remember asking him if that was the South bronx and he said "no this is the central Bronx, i can take you to the south Bronx and show you REAL disaster". by "south" or "east" Bronx he meant the area between the Bronx River and maybe Third Avenue or so. he knew all those areas were gone but to him they weren't the "south" Bronx

Old 08-29-2012, 06:35 PM

my father used to say that the street conditions in the "south" or "east" Bronx were distinctly worse than the area around Morris Hts or the stadium area. he said the area around Bryant Avenue and say 170th/172 st was, to him, the "east"(or 'south") Bronx and distinctly worse than any of the areas around the stadium or Morris Heights, etc. But this is going back 35 years or so

Old 08-29-2012, 06:54 PM

rlrl, watch your 2 posts above this get ignored.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:01 PM

if the posters who read those 2 posts aren't old enough they probably would ignore them since you had to be around in the 70's to understand those differences i mentioned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City