Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 10:12 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,332,195 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know for sure whether Rockaway Beach Blvd is good? I went to the Rockaways for the first time yesterday to go chill my homies at the beach and when I got off the Q53 I was like "sh*t sh*t sh*t man, I came to the WRONG neighborhood" Seemed way worse than East Elmhurst or Richmond Hill or some other yellow areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 10:21 PM

506 posts, read 1,011,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Does anyone know for sure whether Rockaway Beach Blvd is good? I went to the Rockaways for the first time yesterday to go chill my homies at the beach and when I got off the Q53 I was like "sh*t sh*t sh*t man, I came to the WRONG neighborhood" Seemed way worse than East Elmhurst or Richmond Hill or some other yellow areas
Did you go to Far Rockaway? lol

Old 07-11-2013, 11:53 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,332,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
Did you go to Far Rockaway? lol
Nahh, it was like Beach 90th street. I can't even imagine what Far Rock must look like lol

Old 07-12-2013, 04:00 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Probably spill over from those projects marked as red to the east. I agree, if East Elmhurst and Richmond hill are yellow, than why wouldn't some more of that area be yellow.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:09 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,725,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
If you understand the definitions clearly explained multiple times on this thread, you will realize why those areas are shaded yellow... The only areas that should be unshaded in this city are areas where chances of any crime happening are completely minimal if not non-existent...
Then how do you explain the yellow area in Maspeth that is 100% industrial where nobody lives, let alone criminals waiting for that innocent tourist couple from Belgium to fall into their trap while they mistakenly lose their way like in a bad movie remake of Death Wish?? ROFL

Old 07-13-2013, 04:29 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Then how do you explain the yellow area in Maspeth that is 100% industrial where nobody lives, let alone criminals waiting for that innocent tourist couple from Belgium to fall into their trap while they mistakenly lose their way like in a bad movie remake of Death Wish?? ROFL
They still have the car racing going on in industrial Maspeth? If so, I can see it being yellow over their. Once saw a guy take a bat out on someone after a race.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:24 PM

273 posts, read 672,936 times
Beach 90th is not unsafe but may seem a little rundown in some parts. A few reasons - on the bay side not far from there is Hammels which has some projects that had gotten bad a few decades ago. It has improved very much, but I would say at night I would not be wandering around there looking lost - there have been muggings (not in high numbers though) . What may have turned you off is they built a bunch of extremely cheap ready to fall apart housing in the late 90's or early 2000's. Affectionately known by some as Fedders" special architecture as they had all those air conditioning units surrounded by cheap brick and rust and stain the building after one year.

Anyway I found the area to be fine if you were on the side facing the Atlantic, the other side has some old industrial areas and less attractive housing. This was in 2012 before Sandy. So another reason it may not look so great is the Rockaways suffered some of the worst damage from Sandy.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:32 PM

Do me a favor, the area marked yellow above Astoria Blvd should not be yellow at all. Yes modest houses but many take good care of them and do you REALLY want to put the last residence of Malcolm X (green stucco house on 97th Street just below 23rd Ave) and a decent old fashioned southern style restaurant (Redd-Light)?

Old 07-13-2013, 08:02 PM

I agree mostly with your maps but you overlook a few spots in popular areas that deserve yellow or orange. There are other areas which should not be yellow

I would put parts of the Village in ORANGE. I mean there were in 2013 8 attacks on homosexuals, with one former convict killing a gay man's partner with a crowd milling about on a Friday night.

I would say about 8th Street corridor from University Place to 6th Ave.

Also the NYU area around 7th Ave should be in yellow. With the closing of NYU and nothing else there businesses have suffered and restaurants and clubs bringing people from other neighborhoods will do only so much. Plus in a well-known gay area it brings about idiots who have prejudices and want to be tough and act on them with a drink or two.

I say this as you put some areas of East Elmhurst in yellow which are completely safe and tourists are quite happy there - the yellow area above Astoria Blvd in East Elmhurst which happens to be where Malcolm X lived before he died (97th Street off 23rd Ave) with a decent soul food restaurant. SO I would not have this area yellow.

IN Manhattan 14th down to E Houston is extremely safe and even tourists would be comfortable. If you want to mark a corridor yellow maybe 1st Ave from E6th to E Houston only because the projects there and the lower density of commercial activity may get some tourists edgy.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:09 AM

3 posts, read 5,765 times
First of all - huge thanks for making these maps - they have provided invaluable info while apartment hunting!

Second - a question... Why the small red strip, in Brooklyn on Tennis Ct I believe in Prospect Park South?

There is a apartment I would love to look at that appears to be on that strip...and I would love to know if I should avoid at all costs. Would be ashame because the apartment seems lovely!

And, off topic, if I shouldn't avoid at all costs, does anyone who knows that area know if the Q is reliable and a true under 30 min commute into Midtown?

THANK YOU!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City