Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 11:05 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,332,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
It used to be in some parts of Harlem or Brooklyn you didn't want to be stopping at no red lights. When you were penned in, dudes would put you on blocks right there and take off all your lug nuts and walk away with all four wheels. Good luck in the hood buddy!!
I heard those stories from some oldies. One of my teachers used to tell us how he lived in Bushwick and had to run from gang members regularly when coming home from school. This other guy I know says he was robbed twice in one week in Flushing back in the summer of 89. Another guy says he was almost carjacked in College Point, but saw the thug approach and floored it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 09:04 PM

796 posts, read 1,757,221 times
"Perceived Safety" of NYC neighborhoods, 2013. - Imgur

^I think this one is based off of people surveys and such

Old 07-29-2013, 11:14 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,725,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
"Perceived Safety" of NYC neighborhoods, 2013. - Imgur

^I think this one is based off of people surveys and such
nothing of any real validity there. Look how green Harlem is, and look how red LIC / Sunnyside / Woodside is lol

And I guess Laguardia Airport isn't safe at all. You could get run over by an airplane after all

haha

Old 07-30-2013, 08:48 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,810,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
nothing of any real validity there. Look how green Harlem is, and look how red LIC / Sunnyside / Woodside is lol

And I guess Laguardia Airport isn't safe at all. You could get run over by an airplane after all

haha
Yea whoever made that map has absolutely no concept of this city at all... East NY/Brownsville is apparently more safe than Ridgewood/Glendale/Middle Village/Maspeth... Who knew...

Old 07-30-2013, 02:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,131,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Yea whoever made that map has absolutely no concept of this city at all... East NY/Brownsville is apparently more safe than Ridgewood/Glendale/Middle Village/Maspeth... Who knew...
You have to consider how that map works: They take images of different places and ask you which one looks safer. There are some parts of Maspeth that look worse than Brownsville because the Maspeth block might be mostly industrial with a few run-down houses, whereas the Brownsville block might be a tree-lined block of rowhouses (for that matter, the housing projects don't look particularly run-down to somebody unfamiliar with the city)

The idea is to show how things like the amount of trees in an area can affect perception of safety. They weren't actually suggesting that areas like Maspeth are the worst in the city. (And FWIW, there was a decent amount of red in ENY)

Old 07-30-2013, 02:03 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
The East Flatbush label is way off.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:05 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,305,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
HA! Now that's a good one.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:27 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,332,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
You have to consider how that map works: They take images of different places and ask you which one looks safer. There are some parts of Maspeth that look worse than Brownsville because the Maspeth block might be mostly industrial with a few run-down houses, whereas the Brownsville block might be a tree-lined block of rowhouses (for that matter, the housing projects don't look particularly run-down to somebody unfamiliar with the city)

The idea is to show how things like the amount of trees in an area can affect perception of safety. They weren't actually suggesting that areas like Maspeth are the worst in the city. (And FWIW, there was a decent amount of red in ENY)
Yeah, tbh there are parts of Maspeth that look like crap. Like a block west of my school

I'm guessing that the orange spot in Forest Hills is because of that one spot on Austin Street that also looks like crap. Im kinda surprised that Sunnyside Gardens are red though, they look beautiful in person

Old 08-01-2013, 08:55 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,131,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
The East Flatbush label is way off.
I actually agree with this. Which parts should have their color changed?

Old 08-04-2013, 09:19 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Brooklyn Safety Map updated to include:

Bushwick area from Flushing Avenue east to Menahan Street changed to orange

Borinquen Plaza Houses changed to red

Hylan Houses changed to red

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City