Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 01:44 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,332,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Not sure about all that. I think many in Corona can take care of themselves just fine. Historically I think one of the precincts covering corona had the highest crime rate in the queens back in the day. Realistically, no where in queens is really all that bad compared to the other boros.

Out of curiosity, why is such a large chunk of college point shaded? Also, maybe we can unshade anywhere in ridgewood and Glendale that is north and east of Woodward and forest. Same goes for the blocks surrounding woodhaven blvd in woodhaven and ozone park.
There should definitely be yellow around the Fresh Pond Ave stop on the M-Line. I do second that the other yellow areas east of Forest don't really feel yellow

Also I second the Woodhaven Blvd idea, the streets around it are pretty cool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 02:35 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,131,897 times
Quote:
Out of curiosity, why is such a large chunk of college point shaded? Also, maybe we can unshade anywhere in ridgewood and Glendale that is north and east of Woodward and forest. Same goes for the blocks surrounding woodhaven blvd in woodhaven and ozone park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
There should definitely be yellow around the Fresh Pond Ave stop on the M-Line. I do second that the other yellow areas east of Forest don't really feel yellow

Also I second the Woodhaven Blvd idea, the streets around it are pretty cool
Both of those make sense. I'll look into these and change them when I get the chance.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:28 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Not sure about all that. I think many in Corona can take care of themselves just fine. Historically I think one of the precincts covering corona had the highest crime rate in the queens back in the day. Realistically, no where in queens is really all that bad compared to the other boros.

Worse than Jamaica? I don't think so buddy.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-29-2013, 11:35 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,131,897 times
Alright, College Point is unshaded (except for the Farrington Street Corridor, which is orange). For reference, that was basically the whole area south of 14th Avenue.

Ridgewood is unshaded north of Woodward/Forest.

What are the exact boundaries of the areas of Woodhaven/Ozone Park that should be unshaded? Something like 99th Street to 88th Street? Are there any other parts that should be unshaded? A while back, I remember somebody saying that South Ozone Park was worse than Ozone Park, so if SOP is yellow, then logically, there should be more parts of OP that are blank. (Or it could be one of those things where people assume that adding a direction to a neighborhood makes it worse for some reason. Like Flatbush & East Flatbush).

And should Linden Blvd in Cambria Heights really be shaded? It is Cambria Heights after all.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:08 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Alright, College Point is unshaded (except for the Farrington Street Corridor, which is orange). For reference, that was basically the whole area south of 14th Avenue.

What are the exact boundaries of the areas of Woodhaven/Ozone Park that should be unshaded? Something like 99th Street to 88th Street? Are there any other parts that should be unshaded? A while back, I remember somebody saying that South Ozone Park was worse than Ozone Park, so if SOP is yellow, then logically, there should be more parts of OP that are blank. (Or it could be one of those things where people assume that adding a direction to a neighborhood makes it worse for some reason. Like Flatbush & East Flatbush).

And should Linden Blvd in Cambria Heights really be shaded? It is Cambria Heights after all.
Yes, leave Linden Boulevard the way it is and South Ozone Park is worse than Ozone Park. Nothing to do with direction, that's just the way it is.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-29-2013, 05:41 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Worse than Jamaica? I don't think so buddy.
Based strictly off of population density, I can see the Roosevelt ave neighborhoods as having more crime incidents overall than Jamaica. Either way I don't think corona is worse than Jamaica. Was just disputing that someone from corona would feel nervous anywhere else in queens, including Jamaica.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:13 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,332,195 times
Quote:
Between Atlantic Avenue and Jamaica Avenue 90th street to 98th street is good. Between Atlantic and Liberty it gets kinda sketchy by my standards, so I wouldn't make anything blank there

Old 12-30-2013, 11:16 AM

26 posts, read 96,180 times
Moving to NYC from Iowa and contemplating Bay Ridge/Dyker Heights/Bensonhurst areas primarily to reduce commute time for kid going to high school. Based on the maps they seem like safe neighborhoods. Any other inputs about those locations? Family oriented neighborhood?

Thanks!

Old 12-30-2013, 02:19 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Quote:

If any part of Ridgewood north of Woodward that should be shaded, I'd think it would be the blocks right near Glover Cleveland Park.

As for Woodhaven and Ozone Park, I'd say that 88th to 99th is a fair assumption. Its just that Woodhaven Blvd is such a busy road now at all hours of the day that you constantly have buses, police cars, ambulances, fire trucks, tow trucks, etc... doing some sort of surveillance. Unless you'd consider safety of walking across the street, then I'd say anywhere along the boulevard is safe. Chances are that you'll get hit by a car before your mugged.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:16 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,242,905 times
NYC Crime - NY Daily News
NYC 2013 homicide victims: Asian 16, Black 179, Hispanic 70, White 26, Other 21.
This totals 312, although article states 310.
"Other"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City