Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2012, 05:44 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Chava61 You are doing a wonderful job of supporting folks by supplying them w/ much needed information. Just wanted to say that.
Also, I learned from the flood here in 97' to save every receipt. After a disaster programs regarding assisting folks in recovery can become available from every kind of program...FEMA is just the tip of the iceberg in my experience. Stay appraised of religious organizations, City Block Grants through HUD, private donations...Apply for assistance everywhere...if you get turned down, keep looking. I was a disaster worker for the initial response, then moved along w/ each phase....there are several phases...stay on top of as much as possible. And I was able through volunteers offering labor, materials and various programs to be part of a group of folks that helped hook folks up w/ resources for nearly 2 years after our initial disaster. They nicknamed me the mole...cause I was finding resources in many unconventional ways...They are out there. Go to the town meetings, ask neighbors, seek the information....Communication is key in a disaster situation., talk to folks, read threads like these (what I wouldn't have done to have this technology back then)
...Back to the receipt issue....When folks buy anything to repair their home...save every little receipt. I was literally going through shopping bags in the basement a few weeks into recovery we found out that we needed them. Renting a generator, buying supplies, buying cleaner...it all is relevant. You may want to add this to your information if you would. Thanks for doing so much. God bless and keep you all safe. Prayers going out to those affected!!
Thanks for the recognition which I appreciate. This is just a small contribution to help people that need it get some of the important information that could be useful to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 06:05 AM

This morning's (Nov. 6th) subway map:
http://alert.mta.info/sites/default/..._bw_Nov6am.pdf

Old 11-06-2012, 10:15 AM

From Gov. Cuomo's briefing today/Nov. 6th:

350,000 customers are without power mainly in Nassau, Suffolk and Westchester counties. There are 66,000 customers without power in NYC mainly in Queens and the Bronx. No out of state as well as Canadian utilities crews will be released until after the Northeaster storm is over.

All state roads have been cleared.

The fuel situation is getting better. But there is panic buying meaning more fuel is being bought than in normal times.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:23 AM

From Mayor Bloomberg's briefing this afternoon (Nov. 6):

60,000 tons of storm debris has been removed. In some of the less effected areas, garbage removal with reduced/meaning it will be less frequent (and the same for recycling).

NYC will be on a high wind watch during the Northeaster. There might be some sleet/snow that could cause some of the trees to fall over.

Today and tomorrow police car patrols will be make loud speakers announcements in areas effected by Sandy.

Beaches and parks will be closed during the storm.

All construction sites need to be secured before the storm.

Avoid driving tomorrow after 5PM due to the high winds.

In Red Hook (Brooklyn) a new warming center has been opened today.

91,000 customers are still without electricity in NYC. Some of the power problems are due to problems with the individual buildings themselves.

The 57 schools that sustained damage has been reduced to 47. The students in those schools will be reassigned to those schools starting tomorrow.

From noon until 4PM there will be 10 distribution centers in effected areas delivering meals and water to people. Tomorrow they will be open in the morning (rather than the afternoon) because of the incoming storm. There are also 21 trucks giving out food/water in the hardest hit areas.

He encourages everyone to vote. Food is being provided to poll workers working at temporary polling sites where there is no other food available.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:46 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,615 times
hopefully the nor'easter coming will be able to wash away some of that mess!! (kidding)
Also, I kinda like the wall looks with part of the white taken down and the stone showing through.

That is such a disaster down there. I wonder how long before that station is back clean.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:09 AM

According to CBS, the Holland Tunnel is reopening this morning.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:15 AM

GGGGGGGreat: The G-Train Is Back | Observer

Old 11-07-2012, 12:11 PM

Lady Gaga's Sandy Donation: Singer Pledges $1 Million To Red Cross To Help With Hurricane Relief

Old 11-07-2012, 01:34 PM

From Mayor Bloomberg's briefing today:

66,000 customers are without power in NYC.

70% of public housing that was effected by Sandy now have heat and hot water.

20,000 students in 43 schools were relocated today. All schools that housed shelters will be open tomorrow.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:32 PM

All alternate side parking rules are suspended until next week (according to NBC).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City