Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 04:53 PM

446 posts, read 997,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Looting has been going on all over, including SI where people are looting houses that have been damaged.

They have implemented a 3 passenger rule on any cars crossing into Manhattan.

Here I was hoping to drive in and save my poor BF who has been stuck at work since Sunday morning and now I can't even pick him up unless I get 2 people to go with me.

However I understand that it's being done to improve some of the traffic congestion.

Also remember guys, traffic lights are out in Manhattan below 39th Street.
I'd imagine there'd be lots of people trying to hail cabs near bridges or major train stations... maybe try driving around there? If picking up strangers is a concern, find an elderly person or something. There's got to be a way to get two extra people when MILLIONS of people need a ride today.

An emergency rideshare website for situations like this would be a good idea for next time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 05:05 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,612,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I can confirm that traffic lights are functional from 23 st and up.
That's better than what I was hearing. That sounds like power is slowly coming up because on the news last night they were showing the traffic lights were out on 23rd and 8th.

Over here pretty much everything below Avenue V in the area of Ocean Parkway has no power. So the traffic lights here are out as well.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:11 PM

Curious, does anyone know what 22nd and 2nd looks like over there? I'm trying to figure out if the Epiphany school/church could've been affected with the power outage

Old 10-31-2012, 05:12 PM

5,134 posts, read 4,976,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
That's better than what I was hearing. That sounds like power is slowly coming up because on the news last night they were showing the traffic lights were out on 23rd and 8th.

Over here pretty much everything below Avenue V in the area of Ocean Parkway has no power. So the traffic lights here are out as well.

Does this three passenger rule apply only during certain hours or around the clock?

Old 10-31-2012, 05:13 PM

Also, for people who need extra bodies to cross the bridge, try Craigslist. Yea, yea, Craigslist can be sketchy, but there are dozens of people on there who need rides. Ask to see a Facebook page if you're concerned about safety. Most people (contrary to what the media would have us believe), are not homicidal maniacs.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:43 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,612,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Does this three passenger rule apply only during certain hours or around the clock?
6am to midnight so just about the entire day.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:52 PM

43,680 posts, read 44,425,236 times
The Lincoln Tunnel and the Henry Hudson Bridge also have the same HOV restrictions as the East River bridges (meaning a 3 passenger min. to use them).

Old 10-31-2012, 06:06 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,779 times
new york city rideshare classifieds - craigslist

Craigslist rideshare page. We have to come together in a time like this. Anyone who wants a ride tomorrow, I can fit two more in my car. I'll be leaving 6:30am (unfortunately, due to the 4 hour commute this am :/) from Crown Heights headed to the upper east side. I won't charge you, but I'm not really willing to drive out of my way. So if you want to meet me along my route and are going to the upper east side let me know. Heading back BK bound at 4:30 pm.

edited to say I do already have three, so two more will mean someone is riding middle back seat and it will be tight. But i'm willing nonetheless

Old 10-31-2012, 06:08 PM

I need a new bus pass... I live across from the G line and there are flimsy little ribbons tied across the entrance. G isn't running yet, and this particular stop isn't flooded, but I wonder if I can quickly run down the stairs just to purchase a new pass? Or will I be shot on sight?

Old 10-31-2012, 06:44 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
from MTA ‏@MTAInsider 8:32 PM - 31 Oct 12
We have stopped operating buses south of 23rd Street in Manhattan because of dangerous conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City