Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 07:33 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
SuperMario...I agree there are too many "hot" neighborhoods in the Bronx...but the transition is happening. As I stated earlier, at least in Mott Haven, Melrose, Concourse, and Hunts Point, the changes that are occuring are monumental, and the vibe is completely different than it was even 5 years ago.

I know that in your area, however, it seems things are unchanged, or even getting worse. Why do you think that is?
I dont think my area is getting worse per say. The area where I live was the only part of the 52nd that saw a spike in crime. The NYPD acted accordingly and have inundated the area with cops. The cops even just stand watch on the corner. It is worse than a couple of years ago or even last year for the shear amount of drug dealing going on. I haven't seen that much gun violence or gang fights recently. But in no way is it as bad as it was from the late 70's to the 90's. Hearing shots used to be the norm, as I remember 1998-1999. As of the rest of the Bronx it's crime levels pale in comparison to 18 years ago.

As for the recent spike, I say it has to do with the low-income Dominicans moving over the bridge to the less expensive Bronx. They join in with the current guys and instead of having 5-6 you have upwards of 12. But the cops seem to be putting a stop to that as they did to Valentine 194th-196th.

As for all the improvement in those areas, they still are the highest crime rate areas in the Bronx. So I would agree in terms of facilities and amenities it may be improving but crime has been unaffected. Hunts Point has been off the chart this year.

And the Bronx so far has seen a 62% increase in homicides from this point last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 08:42 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,178 times
Yes I was reading in Hunts Point they registered an increase of crime of 42%, as compared to this time last year. The word across the area is that crime is up across the city overall....but as a result the areas have been inundated with cops, foot patrols, and undercover cops..at least in my area. The city is not going to allow the increase to go unchecked, and the police presence has been notable..so action is taking place...and I am glad to see it. Nonetheless, it does not FEEL like crime has increased, or other quality of life issues are deteriorating...I still FEEL the upswing, but that may just be my own perception.

I still see the parade of new businesses, national and local, entering the area, as well as the development of housing/condos/coops, greening of the borough, park initiatives, and other such commercial and private investments continuing....

Old 05-27-2008, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,946 times
I lived on Story Avenue from 1961-69 and attended PS 100 and IS 131. I remember when I moved into our building the Story Avenue wasn't paved yet. It was a very different world. I have many fond memories of growing up there. I went back in 2003 and it had changed considerably, but my memories are still good ones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayfudin View Post
James Monroe is surrounded by Soundview ave (West)
Story ave (North) Taylor Ave (East) Lafayette Ave (South)
I grew up with Ed Pickney (Vilanova Basketball) He is one that I know made it to the NBA. I went into the Air Force for 20 years and now live in NJ. I know Monroe when it was Beautiful and had Grass all over and White People! Now, Forget about it! Crazy land of the forgotten and contained by the 43rd Precinct. I go for family and my good memories of how it used to be. I grew up there. Went to PS 100, IS 131 and made my way to Queens (Aviation HS) that was my big break and I moved on from there. If you have no reason to be there then there is no reason to be there. HOWEVER the 10473 is and will always be where I am from.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:31 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I dont think my area is getting worse per say. The area where I live was the only part of the 52nd that saw a spike in crime. The NYPD acted accordingly and have inundated the area with cops. The cops even just stand watch on the corner. It is worse than a couple of years ago or even last year for the shear amount of drug dealing going on. I haven't seen that much gun violence or gang fights recently. But in no way is it as bad as it was from the late 70's to the 90's. Hearing shots used to be the norm, as I remember 1998-1999. As of the rest of the Bronx it's crime levels pale in comparison to 18 years ago.

As for the recent spike, I say it has to do with the low-income Dominicans moving over the bridge to the less expensive Bronx. They join in with the current guys and instead of having 5-6 you have upwards of 12. But the cops seem to be putting a stop to that as they did to Valentine 194th-196th.

As for all the improvement in those areas, they still are the highest crime rate areas in the Bronx. So I would agree in terms of facilities and amenities it may be improving but crime has been unaffected. Hunts Point has been off the chart this year.

And the Bronx so far has seen a 62% increase in homicides from this point last year.
Mario seems to be set on this theory about low-income Dominicans coming into the Bronx being the cause for the recent upswing in crime. But as far as I can recall Dominicans have been moving into the Bronx for about the last 10 years or so, maybe more.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Mario seems to be set on this theory about low-income Dominicans coming into the Bronx being the cause for the recent upswing in crime. But as far as I can recall Dominicans have been moving into the Bronx for about the last 10 years or so, maybe more.
But much more are coming in now as compared to before.

They moved in to the Heights in droves and the Heights was a criminals paradise from the late 80's to the 90's.

Now they are replacing white families in the Bronx and its no coincidence crime has increased.

You can put any low income .............(fill in the blank) and a neighborhood will get worse.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:12 PM

Well Dominicans are the largest group moving to the Bronx..by far. Will crime increase as a result..probably...I don't think Dominicans are necessarily replacing white people..i.e. the whites in Throggs Neck are not selling their $500K homes to Dominicans in Washington Heights, but it seems to be that Dominicans are replacing the other groups, like PRs and Blacks who are leaving the city. They are essentially entering the same poorer, higher crime communities...

Old 05-27-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Well Dominicans are the largest group moving to the Bronx..by far. Will crime increase as a result..probably...I don't think Dominicans are necessarily replacing white people..i.e. the whites in Throggs Neck are not selling their $500K homes to Dominicans in Washington Heights, but it seems to be that Dominicans are replacing the other groups, like PRs and Blacks who are leaving the city. They are essentially entering the same poorer, higher crime communities...
They're replacing the few remaining whites in Norwood, Bedford park and Kingsbridge.

BTW, I have seen a huge up tick of white people around the W Fordham rd area...even on my own block. I dont know if they are long time residents of the Fordham Oval Co-ops are are new arrivals. Never tought I'd see the day. Anybody else notice an increase?

Old 05-27-2008, 03:40 PM

Lol...SuperWario...one thing that is consistent is that this city is always in flux. And although in your life things seem like they never change, the reality is, the city changes ALOT, and the communities that have seen the least change are likely to see the most changes going forward as a result...but who knows. The total abandonment of entire swaths of the city, and destruction of many areas, is in fact not a normal and recurring theme in this city..it was an aborration. The city will continue to change....nobody knows how though.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:33 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
They're replacing the few remaining whites in Norwood, Bedford park and Kingsbridge.

BTW, I have seen a huge up tick of white people around the W Fordham rd area...even on my own block. I dont know if they are long time residents of the Fordham Oval Co-ops are are new arrivals. Never tought I'd see the day. Anybody else notice an increase?
They might have been Fordham students... but....

There are a few white people in my building. Hey the rents are crazy cheap in the Fordham area, and the area is convenient as heck. I'll say it again, the only thing keeping Fordham from gentrifying is the slow D train service at night. If the D ran express more, forget it...

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 05-27-2008 at 05:48 PM..

Old 05-27-2008, 06:13 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,672,681 times
The economy is keeping many of those waterfront developments empty! There is still land along White Plains Road that is still undeveloped. It's sad, because those developments (Harbor Pointe) are nice. The only issue besides the economy are the planes that land at LaGuardia.

On the other hand, many people I know are moving to the Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City