Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2008, 01:18 PM

37 posts, read 95,892 times

Advertisements

I was just up at the Training Center @ Floyd Benett Field this past thursday for FEL refresher & the word over there is that they're gonna start CDL classes for the new list in March.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:35 PM

162 posts, read 575,333 times
Thanks for the info - is that pretty accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYBx3A View Post
I was just up at the Training Center @ Floyd Benett Field this past thursday for FEL refresher & the word over there is that they're gonna start CDL classes for the new list in March.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:45 PM

162 posts, read 575,333 times
Why in your opinion does it suck? What are you're reasons? Other people say this job is well worth the wait and it's better than NYPD & some other city jobs. Just trying to see what both sides of the coin look like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwonthelottery View Post
Do not rush to get this job it sucks major for the first three or four years if you have a family you better hope your wife makes loot

Old 01-22-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBoy View Post
Why in your opinion does it suck? What are you're reasons? Other people say this job is well worth the wait and it's better than NYPD & some other city jobs. Just trying to see what both sides of the coin look like.
I wouldn't say the job itself sucks but the new hire pay kinda does w/ all the deductions and what not. Truth be told, i'd say %90 of the people I came on with took a pay cut & it's next to impossible to make ends meet, not unless you live with mommy. Simple & plain, most people are gonna need a 2nd job to stay afloat but finding a 2nd job with hours flexible enough to accomodate someone working round robins (8-4 one day, coming back 8 hrs later & doing the 12-8 & 8 hrs later ,once again, the 4-12 , not to mention 12 hour shifts when it snows). Here's to New York's STRONGEST!

Old 01-22-2008, 02:43 PM

191 posts, read 874,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYBx3A View Post
I wouldn't say the job itself sucks but the new hire pay kinda does w/ all the deductions and what not. Truth be told, i'd say %90 of the people I came on with took a pay cut & it's next to impossible to make ends meet, not unless you live with mommy. Simple & plain, most people are gonna need a 2nd job to stay afloat but finding a 2nd job with hours flexible enough to accomodate someone working round robins (8-4 one day, coming back 8 hrs later & doing the 12-8 & 8 hrs later ,once again, the 4-12 , not to mention 12 hour shifts when it snows). Here's to New York's STRONGEST!
guys float like that to cover guys who are out?to get a feel of all the jobs in the garage?is it just because you have no set tissue yet?do round robins get a weekly or monthly schedule to plan around?daily haha?

Old 01-22-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxguy View Post
I agree with you (uwonthelottery) but we have no choice but to do two loads in most bronx garages. What did you score on the supv. test and what did mostly everyone else score in your garage? thanks!
this means that if you work in the bronx you have to more or less work one shift but do twice the work of other city garages?wow

Old 01-22-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipez View Post
I wouldn't care how many dumps... The more hours the better...
its not overtime...just a couple of bucks.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBoy View Post

what sucks about the job.. GETTING STUCK WITH A HYPODERMIC NEEDLE.

ive heard a scary story or two.anything the on the job guys can add.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage time View Post
guys float like that to cover guys who are out?to get a feel of all the jobs in the garage?is it just because you have no set tissue yet?do round robins get a weekly or monthly schedule to plan around?daily haha?
basically, they'll put you where needed. Most likely, you'll get forced nights. You'll get a chart number & based on that number you'll know which days you'll have off. One week you could have ie. Tuesday & Sunday off, Thursday & Sunday the next & Mon & Sunday after that ect. Different every week. There are exceptions to that though. I'm in a broom garage where they have A,B charts where it's alternating wednesday & sat off. One week it's wed. & Sun. then sat & sun the next & is pretty much steady days 7-3, I have yet to work nights. Then there's LOT garages where they're 6-2 or 7-3 M-F. It all depend where you land basically.

Oh and as far as needles go.... I did MLP in BX2 not to long ago on Bruckner Blvd, where all the dope heads shoot up & must've shoveled up literally 100's of needles but the odds of you contracting something from getting stuck with a needle are slim to none, just part of the job.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:57 PM

thats good to hear.i was told about guys getting poked by needles hidden inside of a garbage bag.the dsny then tries to find out who the needle is from and if they are clean -like diabetes use and not someone shooting up.none the less, a very stressful time for the guy poked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City