Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 10:28 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumFolly234 View Post
Many non black people in NYC think poorly of blacks. They rarely distinguish between poor, and middle/upper income blacks. In their minds, we are all the same. I don't think it's done on a conscious level, I think it develops subconsciously overtime, due to their experiences. If they see a number of blacks each morning begging for change, serving as nannies, etc, they begin to make a lot of assumptions about black people as a whole.
You're afraid people will realize how broke you are? You can come out of the closet and admit it. You're probably begging for change yourself.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:32 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,702,168 times
Quote:
Many non black people in NYC think poorly of blacks. They rarely distinguish between poor, and middle/upper income blacks. In their minds, we are all the same. I don't think it's done on a conscious level, I think it develops subconsciously overtime, due to their experiences. If they see a number of blacks each morning begging for change, serving as nannies, etc, they begin to make a lot of assumptions about black people as a whole.
Yes, i'm sure some do.

Its a doggy dog world out there.

Don't let other peoples perceptions define you.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:40 PM

54 posts, read 65,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Yes, i'm sure some do.

Do you honestly believe that when the police stop black men, they don't perceive most to be criminals? Perception is indeed very important.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:42 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,861,937 times
Zzzzzzzzz

Old 03-01-2014, 11:36 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Yes, i'm sure some do.

She's a racist troll who may not even be Black, who comes back just to always diss Black people. There's no amount of reasonable explanation that will work. At this point stop feeding the trolls!

Old 03-01-2014, 11:44 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,544,572 times
Quote:
There's a plethora of African/Carib nannies throughout the wealthy areas of NYC. Please don't get me wrong, I realize that everyone has to make a living, but as a young college educated African American woman, I often feel embarrassed to share the same skin color as many of the immigrant African and Carib nannies, because most people tend to think that all people of African descent are the same. It's not that I think I'm so much better, it's just that I don't like seeing so many young women who happen to look like me, perform menial tasks and slave-like roles.

Sometimes I hate venturing to central park during the summer, because it's a favorite spot w/ the nannies. Just curious if other people feel this way.

What is more embarrassing? Women who find a job in order to attempt to live properly? Or low life folks walking about like thugs? That stereotype is actually more damaging to you as an African American because it reinforces the notion that blacks are an unproductive people ho aren't interested in improving their lot in life.

If they get paid to do their job how are they slaves? You might be shocked to know that many of these do this in order to get a foot in the door and then move on to college and a better life.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:45 PM

146 posts, read 190,777 times
Quote:
If I didn't have my professional accounting job, I'd take retail any day, over working as a servant/nanny to a white woman on the upper east side.
You got that right!

Old 03-01-2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
In the real world we are judged by appearances. When people see a large group of black women taking care of white children, they assume that I'm like those impoverished immigrant women. I'm embarrassed by their servitude. It's 2014, not the 1950s.
And yet a group of yelling and screaming black kids with pants down to their knees doesn't embarrass you?

Strange.

And yes the folks in retail are actually worse off than many of these women. Many of the women are paid off the books so take home 100% of their pay, and some even establish connections which might help them if they find a decent employer.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I too am female, African-American, college educated, and have a post-college degree if that means anything. I don't think the word to describe how I feel when I see them is "embarrassed". I would say that I'm puzzled. I always wonder why they have a job like that in this day and age when opportunities are available, and have been for decades now, to obtain a higher education and get a career that is above being a "over.

1. What does an upper middle class BLACK family do when BOTH husband and wife work? They probably hire the same Caribbean nanny. Should they refuse child care because it is so "slave like"? These women are providing a much needed service and many Americans of all races are very glad that they do this. Being English speaking they also offer a more enriching environment than if their nanny was some illegal from Mexico with rudimentary English.

2. Many of these women are undocumented and are attempting to get legal residence in the USA, so they have few options. This is an entry level job. You will probably notice that most of these women are young and its fairly unusual to see a middle aged woman doing this kind of work.

3. Most people of every race, including whites, lack college degrees. And indeed, given today's high unemployment, you might be shocked to know what some college educated women now have to do to earn a living.

4. Many black American women work as home health aids helping old white people. I don't see the difference, and indeed I suspect caring for a senile old person might involve tasks which are way more demeaning,

I take it that you are single so don't have child care needs.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
I agree with you, it's primarily (99.9% Carib and African women). Black American women typically have no interest in working as nannies/housekeepers for upper middle class/wealthy white families. I think some would be willing to do it for an upper middle class/wealthy black family, because it wouldn't carry any stigma.

Why no stigma? You do know that some blacks owned slaves and wealthy blacks were often no nicer to their employees than the white ones were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City