Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 04:08 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
If that black man didn't have a daddy who came from Kenya you know that we wouldn't have a black president. Because America doesn't love its black citizens enough to elect one of them to be president. Obama did NOT grow up around black Americas. Ironically Bill Clinton might have more genetic connections to black Americans than Obama does.

This apart from the fact that under this black president life for the average black has gotten WORSE rather than better.

So I don't understand your point, but I do understand that you seem to be as xenophobic as the most racist redneck in West Virginia.

Indeed I have often had the suspicion that, but for white racism directed against them, black Americans would be among the most xenophobic people in this country. You provide further evidence to support my suspicions.
I don't think what she said was racist or xenophobic. She basically said Black people tend to be poor everywhere, and that's there's no predominately Black country on par with the well off predominately White or Asian countries. That's not xenophobia or racism. That's true.

As for Obama, he was raised by his white mother and his white family.

With that said, both Colin Powell and Condoleeza Rice were Secretary of State. So if Obama had a Black father born in the US, its still possible he might have been elected President. We'll never know because it didn't work out that way. Btw, some African Americans have East African ancestors. Not all of our African ancestry is West African. I'm 10% Southeast African Bantu (Mozambique).

Old 03-02-2014, 04:10 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,544,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
The other is I work for a family taking care of their children who will soon follow in their successful parent's footsteps and experience living life at the top of the ladder .
There aren't enough institutional daycare facilities available to accommodate every kid whose parents work.

Any way I really don't see the difference. In both instances the women are taking are of kids. In neither instance is it likely that they earn a lot or get huge benefits. So if being a nanny is demeaning, then so is working in a daycare facility.

I can use a house slave vs. field slave analogy. The day care employees being the field slaves. The private nannies being the house slaves. I use this because you seem to have nightmare of waking up and finding that you have become Aunt Jemima.

Here is how it goes. The private nanny has very high exposure to the world of affluent whites. They learn how they think, and they gain information about opportunities and about how to obtain these advantages. Being hungry immigrants they store this for when they can use it to their advantage. They don't hang their heads in shame because they think that they are slaves, because at the end of the day BOTH women take care of white babies.

The poor women in the daycare center do not get this exposure. Their world remains limiting to their working poor lives, not knowing that a larger world might well exist for them if they learn how it operates, and also gain access to certain social networks. They remain locked out of the information pipeline of the world of the upper middle class, so remain convinced that they are undeserving of it, just like the field slave of old, if he ever had to visit the "big house".

So just as how the house slaves did better when slavery ended, so too do those who work as private nannies do better then the public nannies, because at the end of the day that's what they are, nannies.

So guess who is better equipped to figure out how this country works as she moves on to her next opportunities?

One thing I do know is that many of the nannies go on to become nurses and shift to being private duty providers taking care of old people. They make loads of cash, and they have all the social skills in dealing with the white affluent that they gained from their nanny days. They will definitely be less intimidated than will that poor woman working in some daycare center, whose sole contact might be to hand off the kid at the end of the day.

I ask you to look at this. Look at how the women in the daycare centers dress and how they carry themselves. Then look at the nannies, as indeed, if you didn't see the white kid, in many instances you might swear that these women might have some sort of corporate job.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:13 PM

Here's how I feel about this matter. Yes, obviously Black countries are behind in terms of economic development. No question about it. Yes, many Blacks, whether Caribbean, AA, African, or Latin are in low level service jobs. No question about it.

But so the hell what? Its not my fault that many Blacks are poor . I certainly didn't cause this. And I am not responsible for fixing this.

So I go out and live my life, and that's just that. Focus on YOURSELF and take care of your personal business. That's really all you can do.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:15 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
Obama as a black president, even if some of you take the Jesse Jackson argument, its still more than a Hispanic, Asian, Jewish or any other non-Anglo white can say for that matter.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

I ask you to look at this. Look at how the women in the daycare centers dress and how they carry themselves. Then look at the nannies, as indeed, if you didn't see the white kid, in many instances you might swear that these women might have some sort of corporate job.
Carib, surely you're smart enough not to fight over nanny versus daycare/nursing home attendant.

Considering that the highest paid nanny's make well over 100k, Klassyhk would do well to apply for these jobs herself instead of putting down other women.

These women know that the majority of AA women in NYC are in low level service and retail jobs. In many AA neighborhoods, its a big deal if someone can get an union city job (at least that person has benefits, a retirement plan and job stability). We all know that things are pretty bad in many AA neighborhoods in NYC (you do have middle class Black neighborhoods in Eastern Queens).

To tell you the truth, any job that has mostly AA women is minimum WAGE.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:19 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,582,822 times
Carib,

I won't belabor this point because it's off-topic but it could indirectly relate to why these woman have to work here as illegal immigrant nannies. Wow, you covered many so topics that I'm surprised you didn't include Ukraine and those pesky Russians...but I digress. Thanks for the background on Obama's genealogy, Clinton, the current state of the USA economy, rednecks in WVA, and your views on xenophobic African-Americans. Many are indeed racist, though they don't consider themselves so, but it's no secret. However, you failed to answer my question: Why can't a Black governed-country or island create a self sustaining, functioning, healthy, safe and literate nation? Or to put it another way, why aren't Black-governed countries/island a place many Black people want to move to instead of escape from?

Old 03-02-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Obama as a black president, even if some of you take the Jesse Jackson argument, its still more than a Hispanic, Asian, Jewish or any other non-Anglo white can say for that matter.
True. It's yet to happen for any of other other groups.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I don't think what she said was racist or xenophobic. She basically said Black people tend to be poor everywhere, and that's there's no predominately Black country on par with the well off predominately White or Asian countries. That's not xenophobia or racism. That's true.

As for Obama, he was raised by his white mother and his white family.

With that said, both Colin Powell and Condoleeza Rice were Secretary of State. So if Obama had a Black father born in the US, its still possible he might have been elected President. We'll never know because it didn't work out that way. Btw, some African Americans have East African ancestors. Not all of our African ancestry is West African. I'm 10% Southeast African Bantu (Mozambique).
Collin Powell is another black immigrant. Condi Rice is a Republican. The point is that a black Democrat with long term roots in this country, hasn't been elected president, and that isn't about to happen either.

So I don't understand her point. How is that relevant to the topic?

Your 10% Bantus is very unusual, and we already discussed that this might reflect a possible Cuban connection. Your ancestry is no more normal among American blacks than is Vanessa Williams and her very high Finnish ancestry. Indeed your ancestry is indicative of the fact that many African Americans have some black immigrant ancestors, so not all black genetics in the USA is derivative of those who were brought to this country as slaves.

The vast majority of African American ancestry is from Senegambia/Guinea, southeast Nigeria/Cameroon, and Congo/Angola. In that order.

If some one suggests that an immigrant doesn't have a right to migrate that is xenophobia as without immigration this country wouldn't exist. Native Americans are only 2% of the population, and even they are immigrants from Asia.

Black people in this country need to take the time to understand each others, and the ramblings by some suggest that this isn't happening.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Carib,

I Why can't a Black governed-country or island create a self sustaining, functioning, healthy, safe and literate nation? Or to put it another way, why aren't Black-governed countries/island a place many Black people want to move to instead of escape from?

Why cant black Americans, who live in the richest country in the world, create a large and sustainable capitalist class, in the way that Asians, and increasingly Hispanics have achieved?

Korea liaises with its Diaspora here, as does India. Yet Africa cant liaise with black Americans, as South Africans discovered when apartheid ended and the new government thought that beneficial ties could have been developed.

The answer is related.

Now you can claim that African and Caribbean people are lazy as they run "black" countries which remain poor. Yes impoverished nations with massive debt and limited expertise.

And we will respond equally that black Americans are lazy people who live in a country which offers many opportunities, but they refuse to take advantage of it.

Don't know what that will solve though, and the mere fact that you pose that question shows that you have a lot to learn about the world and how it operates. If you think that white people aren't as powerful throughout the world as they are in the world of the American black you are truly naïve.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Now at this point in gets plain silly.

It doesn't really matter whether it's Caribbean or African American. Neither does well of in NYC, despite the pretensions of both some AA's and some Caribbeans that one community is somehow better than the other. Yes, some Blacks become successful, but of course they bail out of these communities for some rather obvious reasons.

The top paying jobs are full of mostly white people. Go to top professional schools in the NYC area and you will see many more Asians than ANY kind of Black.

Klassyhk has some good points. Its not like any predominately Black nation is an economic or technological powerhouse. Look at the economic development of Japan, Korea, China, Taiwan, and India. Can any Black majority nation claim such success? To be honest, both Black Americans and Caribbeans should be ashamed of themselves for taking the OP's bait and falling into ethnic name calling.

What is your point seriously?

The woman launches a tirade against black immigrants and how they shame her. I point out that there is a lot that really ought to shame her that she ignores. And that nannies are the least of either her problems or of the problems which face blacks living in NYC.

You are now trying to turn this into some AA vs. Caribbean issue. Certainly not I.

Africa was destroyed by European colonialism. No more needs to be said.

Barbados governs well, but Barbados is a tiny island of 166 square miles and no natural resources other than beaches. So when tourists, most of whom will be whites (because those are the people with money) don't go they suffer.

They will certainly welcome your advise in telling them what they should do. Because at the end of the day they must import almost every thing that they consume, so cannot exist in some little isolated pocket where the "MAN" can't get to them, as some black Americans who have no understanding of the world seems to naively think.

I always laugh when I hear comments, usually made quite arrogantly, by black Americans who think that the fact that there is no white man present (DIRECTLY) means that life must be on easy street. Well ask mayors of impoverished black cities in the USA whether they find life easier than those who govern more diverse areas. They all must deal with a global economic system, and the fewer resources one has the more disadvantaged one will be in dealing with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City