Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 12:14 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,544,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumFolly234 View Post
White and Asian women are not stereotyped in the same manner as black women.

Actually the contemporary negative stereotypes that black women suffer from have nothing to do with being nannies.

Try loud and shrill behavior by 200 lb females, wearing clothes 5 sizes too small, with their butt crack completely exposed, and who apparently don't work for a living, yet own all the electronic gadgetry that you can want.

It appears to me as if the wrong things embarrass you, if indeed you as a college educated women should even be embarrassed by what black women who are less well off than you do.

Of course those nannies would much prefer having better jobs, but if some one has come from the Caribbean, and is undocumented, or lacks the resources to get to college, what do you suggest that they do. You do know its kind of tough to not have a high paying job, have to pay high rent (these women don't have access to Section 8, etc.) and still have money for fees. And no they will NOT get student loans, so don't even bring that up.

In all your rants I have yet to see a suggestion.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Those women are servants. Why is it a crime to state that I want to see more "Claire Huxtables" throughout NYC, not black nannies/maids. Obviously, I also have issues with the project dwellers too.

So what do you suggest that these women do? Claire Huxtable is a lawyer who came from a family who had several generations of living in the USA to figure out how to get into law school.

A woman arrives from Trinidad on a visitor's visa. Doesn't return. Cant get a proper job, but gets hooked up to look after a kid. CLAIR HUXTABLE's kid. I don't see why it is any more humiliating what the race of the employer is. If they job is bad it will still be bad.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Do you honestly believe that when the police stop black men, they don't perceive most to be criminals? Perception is indeed very important.

You know forum folly this is what I can do.

I as a Caribbean man can blame all my woes on the fact that white people give me a hard time because they see me as a black man who is a criminal, because they claim that most violent crime is committed by blacks.

So every time I see uneducated black (American) men walking around like thugs I say to myself, why don't they go hide some where down South and I wish that more black men looked like Heathcliffe Huxtable.

I know that you would have loads to say about me stereotyping black Americans.

So how is this any different?

Indeed being a nanny is a good deal more honorable than the path of crime and/or indolence that many black Americans take.

Sorry for being so blunt, but you kind of asked for it. Why not be proud that these women make the best lemonade with the dry lemons that they have and try to earn a decent living providing a service that professional women of all races need?

Old 03-02-2014, 03:34 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
And yet a group of yelling and screaming black kids with pants down to their knees doesn't embarrass you?

Strange.

And yes the folks in retail are actually worse off than many of these women. Many of the women are paid off the books so take home 100% of their pay, and some even establish connections which might help them if they find a decent employer.
Actually, many of the Caribbean women being paid on the books still make far more money than the women working in retail. Whatever nanny works for people like Bloomberg, Trump, or even people like Kim and Kanye, Madonna or Mariah Carey is getting paid pretty well on the books.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/ma...anted=all&_r=0

This times article mentions that an elite nanny who makes 180k. Her name was Zenaide Muneton. She is Brazilian. She has a Manhattan apartment to be near her employers. And she grew up poor in Sao Paulo.

The article mentions nannies on the low end getting 17 dollars an hour. That's still much better than minimum wage fast food and retail workers get. If the OP is Black American, she is making a food of herself, and so is any Black American woman rushing to her defense. Muneton is likely making more money than these "educated" Black women.

If anything, for the top nannies making over 100k, its probably more than the complaining women on this forum make.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:39 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Actually the contemporary negative stereotypes that black women suffer from have nothing to do with being nannies.

Try loud and shrill behavior by 300 lb females, wearing clothes 5 sizes too small, with their butt crack completely exposed, and who apparently don't work for a living, yet own all the electronic gadgetry that you can want.
This might be why the OP is jealous and hating on the Caribbean and African nannies. You said 200lbs, but as heavy as that is, its a bit too small. I think you mean 300lbs.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:08 AM

54 posts, read 65,829 times
Quote:

Try loud and shrill behavior by 200 lb females, wearing clothes 5 sizes too small, with their butt crack completely exposed, and who apparently don't work for a living, yet own all the electronic gadgetry that you can want.

It appears to me as if the wrong things embarrass you, if indeed you as a college educated women should even be embarrassed by what black women who are less well off than you do.

Of course those nannies would much prefer having better jobs, but if some one has come from the Caribbean, and is undocumented, or lacks the resources to get to college, what do you suggest that they do. You do know its kind of tough to not have a high paying job, have to pay high rent (these women don't have access to Section 8, etc.) and still have money for fees. And no they will NOT get student loans, so don't even bring that up.

In all your rants I have yet to see a suggestion.
The loud 200 lb "African American" female that you are referring to is often very low income and resides in the projects. But let's not pretend that there aren't also loud 200 lb Caribbean women. Obviously, I am embarrassed by this group and would like to see them improve their station in life, but this doesn't mean that I'm elated to see so many women of African descent in NYC taking on servant-like roles.

The real question is, why do these women immigrate to the U.S.? Why don't they stay in their native countries and make their society and communities better? Shouldn't they be able to receive a solid education and get a job that pays well in their own native lands? I find it odd that so many Africans and Caribs have plenty to say about black Americans, yet you have countries/islands of your very own, yet do not properly develop the human and economic capital. Instead, many take the much easier route and immigrate to societies that already have the infrastructure, jobs, and educational systems in place. When will people of African descent from Africa and the Caribbean see the importance and utility in developing AND sustaining something of their own in their very own land.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:18 AM

54 posts, read 65,829 times
Quote:
You know forum folly this is what I can do.

I as a Caribbean man can blame all my woes on the fact that white people give me a hard time because they see me as a black man who is a criminal, because they claim that most violent crime is committed by blacks.

So every time I see uneducated black (American) men walking around like thugs I say to myself, why don't they go hide some where down South and I wish that more black men looked like Heathcliffe Huxtable.

I know that you would have loads to say about me stereotyping black Americans.

So how is this any different?

Indeed being a nanny is a good deal more honorable than the path of crime and/or indolence that many black Americans take.

Sorry for being so blunt, but you kind of asked for it.Why not be proud that these women make the best lemonade with the dry lemons that they have and try to earn a decent living providing a service that professional women of all races need?
You're actually proving my point. Because you live in NYC and are exposed to the worst type of low income African Americans, you falsely believe that most African Americans are indolent. Your perception is based on the fact that you often see this, because NYC is full of low income blacks. If you traveled outside of the immediate city vicinity, you would see middle income black families with good values.

I know there are a lot of hard working Caribbean and African people residing in the U.S. I just wish more stayed in their native land to improve their countries of origin.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:11 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,678,239 times
Weird. Whenever I see a black nanny, she almost always has an American accent. My West African immigrant parents didn't care for any children other than their own. *shrugs*

Old 03-02-2014, 11:39 AM

581 posts, read 1,244,535 times
I dont like it either. Many do it because its an easy job to get. Many who do it are also illegal so its atleast giving them the opportunity to make some cash.

I rarely see white people as nanny, Home Health Aid workers and such.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:44 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehouse View Post
I rarely see white people as nanny, Home Health Aid workers and such.
There are plenty of white nannies. You can still get an au pair from Poland or other central/eastern European countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City