Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 08:25 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,988,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumshoe Lady View Post
Heads will roll for this.
Let's hope so, someone should be responsible for ignoring the pleas of this parole officer. But they won't end up in jail or lose their life, that much is certain.

They said young Prince Joshua Avitto was a very smart little boy. It's too bad the pro basketball player uncle couldn't have moved the family to a safer area. I suppose it could be he did offer and they didn't want to leave the area. Such a cute little guy makes me very sad about him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 11:43 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Why are cameras in the projects getting so much attention? It sounds like the murderer was a nutcase who wasn't rational enough that realizing he'd probably get caught would stop him. If he was worried about getting caught, he wouldn't have left a knife at the scene. All cameras can do is make it easier to find the perpetrator. And they caught him [assuming they got the right guy] anyway.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:12 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,893,417 times
Glad this sick dude was caught. Really don't know why ppl feel they can get away with crime in this day and age. between surveillance cameras, internet, and cell phones, you're pretty much a goner.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:15 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,893,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Why are cameras in the projects getting so much attention? It sounds like the murderer was a nutcase who wasn't rational enough that realizing he'd probably get caught would stop him. If he was worried about getting caught, he wouldn't have left a knife at the scene. All cameras can do is make it easier to find the perpetrator. And they caught him [assuming they got the right guy] anyway.
they feel that he could have been caught faster if the implementation of cameras were involved. I feel all people will do is spray paint, or break them, so it serves no purpose. if anything, if they wanna cut down crime in NYCHA, send more manpower in. call the feds.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:49 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,973,458 times
Cameras in NYCHA have direct feeds to cops who watch them 24/7. While still not perfect, they can dispatch patrol cops to respond as soon as they see an incident starting.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:15 PM

573 posts, read 1,462,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Cameras in NYCHA have direct feeds to cops who watch them 24/7. While still not perfect, they can dispatch patrol cops to respond as soon as they see an incident starting.
Lol nobody is staring at the cameras 24/7.

Actually cameras don't prevent anything, that just another ploy to put regular folks under surveillance.

By the way I find it funny how America is supposed to be the land of freedom yet there are surveillance cameras literally on every corner of this city. I remember reading about a NYLU study from 2005 where they counted more than 4000 openly visible cameras, only below 14th street...

Old 06-07-2014, 02:35 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,973,458 times
While not all developments have cameras, those that do are being watched 24/7 by NYPD housing cops.

24/7/365. This isn't a guess or an assumption on my part.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:48 PM

18,476 posts, read 31,648,692 times
this is so great that they found this horrible man already, I'm very happy about that !!!

Old 06-07-2014, 03:54 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post

Actually cameras don't prevent anything, that just another ploy to put regular folks under surveillance.

By the way I find it funny how America is supposed to be the land of freedom yet there are surveillance cameras literally on every corner of this city. I remember reading about a NYLU study from 2005 where they counted more than 4000 openly visible cameras, only below 14th street...
Haven't quite gotten to London's level. Yet.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:16 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post

Cameras in many cases have helped cops CATCH criminals who have already committed crimes. Locking them up helps prevent them from committing other crimes. Having a strict monitoring in place does deter some criminals. And if you have nothing to hide, why would you be concerned about the presence of cameras in NYCHA? Private apartments buildings have them. Not only do office buildings have them, you often have to sign in with id just to get into an office building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City