Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2008, 11:16 AM

235 posts, read 1,085,760 times

Advertisements

That family dispute is pretty dead on.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:16 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,583 times
Ilovemycuties, your responses, yet again, is full of emotion based logic. You assume that I think you were white? I never made any mention to your race in anyway, nor did I mention that I thought you "spoke so well." Because I compared your faulty argument of preventing the disabled from working in the police force with the prevention of people of color has nothing to do with any race....black people can be just as racist and ignorant as everyone else. The fact that you made these series of emotion, baseless charges further supports my claim that your arguments, much like those in the police force, are based on emotions and hype, not on facts.

Furthermore, because this "little person" was hired by the police force does not mean they have lowered standards. You are making more grossly unfair assumptions about this person and their abilities and I am GLAD that they hired him, as there is a place for him in the police force like a desk job somewhere, or another unit where his particular skills, whatever they may be, are well suited. Your assumptions about his supposed incompetence because he is a "little person" are completely offensive and superficial. As I stated, there was a time not long ago when someone who black was viewed just as incompetent and ill suited for any job requiring a brain, professionalism, or education...just because they were black. I am sad to hear that you promote the same ignorant and baseless stereotypes based on someone's physical appearance.

I am still waiting for facts from you suggesting that the police force has lowered its standards....I am still receving emotion based illogical comments that do not support your argument and merely hurl accusations at me. Let's keep things based on facts.

If anyone would like further information about the rampant corruption that has ALWAYS plagued the force...and was FAR WORSE than today..please just google it!!!!! If you believe that today, because of "low pay" that the rogue officers, losers, and thugs that are in the police force are a new phenomenon..you have not educated yourself about the history of the department, the massive corruption, violence, and brutality that has ALWAYS plagued it. I understand that educating yourself and basing arguments on facts is harder than regurgitating what you hear, read and feel....but it would put things into perspective for you and then we can havea reasonable discussion, instead of hurling accusations and personal attacks.

The FACT remains that the thugs, losers, and gangmembers that are in the police force, have ALWAYS been there...and were in far greater numbers BEFORE than today. But of course, the media and the Unions will have you believe otherwise....educate yourself.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:44 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,446 times
Yea well thugs, losers, and gang members can be found in almost every job. If it's really a gang member that has a bad past, he/she WILL NOT get the job. There are too many candidates with college degrees out there now. They also perform very detailed background investigations now. I can't just apply for NYPD and get a job right away. Because of the bad pay, and the lack of candidates, they have to be a little bit more leniant with the background checks. Otherwise they won't fill the spots.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:53 PM

>>>They also perform very detailed background investigations now. <<<

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

You could not be so wrong. The NYPD doesn't even go to an applicant's neighborhood and talk to his neighbors anymore as part of the routine check. Knocking on a few doors may reveal info that would keep an applicant from joining, which would derail the warm body approach NYC has adopted to staffing their PD.

And Guy, comparing physical or Academic standards to past racism is ridiculous. Cops have to meet certain physical and academic standards; they don't get hired exclusively to do clerical work, the city hires civilian clerical workers to handle ONLY those assignments. A full duty cop has to be able to handle a uniform assignment.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
If you believe that today, because of "low pay" that the rogue officers, losers, and thugs that are in the police force are a new phenomenon..you have not educated yourself about the history of the department, the massive corruption, violence, and brutality that has ALWAYS plagued it.
The fact remains that NY'ers have convened two commissions in the last 30 yrs to stop this problem and they have all recommended RAISING the pay as part of the solution.

Not only has NYC NOT heeded this recommendation, THEY HAVE GONE TO THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE SPECTRUM and now pay BY FAR the lowest cop salary in the area. In this day and age of gentrification (still in process, and not guaranteed) and terrorism, I don;t think this is a wise choice. NYC and NY'ers stand to lose A LOT more $$$ in falling real estate values and lost tourism if you allow 70's and 80's corruption to cycle back around.

Yes, the NYPD has a history of corruption problems. The question is, do you accept this cycle as part of life, or do you try to break it? Keep paying an uncompetitive salary and not properly screening your cop-applicants and I guarantee you the cycle will continue. Cities with chronic police corruption problems do NOT remain prosperous.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:18 PM

13 posts, read 54,053 times
All i have to say is that my husband is a NYPD officer, that is his 4th year and he is working his ass of to provide for our family, he's basic check is definetly not enough for comfortable living, trust me....we have one child and it is hard, he work as many overtime as they have availeble for him and still it's just never enough. He start his job usually 5 in the morning(sometimes 3) and he finish at 8, that is when he gets overtime before and after tour, he's really tired, belive me. my son and i barely sees him but we just now that is what we have to do to have enough to pay all the bills. We have a little house upstate, so he have to comute to work everyday +2,5 hours...and i know what some will say , well you choose to live upstate, but that is onely because we were tired of paying all the rent in the city and we couldn't afford even a condo there. we lived in the bronx for a long while and like we all know it is not pretty and since we had a baby we decided to move...right now we cant even afford a good child care....and he risk his life every day...we hope that soon they will get a new contract and finally they will get reworded for what they do

Old 04-13-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatita View Post
All i have to say is that my husband is a NYPD officer, that is his 4th year and he is working his ass of to provide for our family, he's basic check is definetly not enough for comfortable living, trust me....we have one child and it is hard, he work as many overtime as they have availeble for him and still it's just never enough. He start his job usually 5 in the morning(sometimes 3) and he finish at 8, that is when he gets overtime before and after tour, he's really tired, belive me. my son and i barely sees him but we just now that is what we have to do to have enough to pay all the bills. We have a little house upstate, so he have to comute to work everyday +2,5 hours...and i know what some will say , well you choose to live upstate, but that is onely because we were tired of paying all the rent in the city and we couldn't afford even a condo there. we lived in the bronx for a long while and like we all know it is not pretty and since we had a baby we decided to move...right now we cant even afford a good child care....and he risk his life every day...we hope that soon they will get a new contract and finally they will get reworded for what they do
Gatita, I'm hoping for a fair contract as well, but you guys have to prepare yourselves if this doesn't happen. If your circumstances permit you should start looking at other agencies in our area as well as other areas of the country where cop salaries are more in line with the cost of living. Don't get bogged down waiting for the city to pay cops a middle class salary. If this arbitration fails us, you guys should consider making a move if it is at all possible.

I have 13 yrs on, so I know what you're talking about. Either way, Good Luck and tell your husband to Be Safe.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:25 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthQueens149 View Post
>>>They also perform very detailed background investigations now. <<<

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

You could not be so wrong. The NYPD doesn't even go to an applicant's neighborhood and talk to his neighbors anymore as part of the routine check. Knocking on a few doors may reveal info that would keep an applicant from joining, which would derail the warm body approach NYC has adopted to staffing their PD.

And Guy, comparing physical or Academic standards to past racism is ridiculous. Cops have to meet certain physical and academic standards; they don't get hired exclusively to do clerical work, the city hires civilian clerical workers to handle ONLY those assignments. A full duty cop has to be able to handle a uniform assignment.
Actually the more I read about NYPD, that makes sense now. NYPD is probably the only, if not one of a few, PD that is like this. Go to LA and it will be a lot different. Just because one PD is like that doesn't mean that the cops are losers.

Once again, I was basing this on fire more than police. Most places won't hire you with even a misdemeanor on your record as a firefighter. There's too much competition. They will just take someone else.

It's kind of funny how FDNY is one of the most, if not THE most, popular fire department in the world. There were over 40,000 people that took the last exam. While NYPD is struggling for good applicants.

The reason I'm defending this so much is because many people relate fire to police. Hiring processes are somewhat just as long and as similar. NYPD does seem to be different, but don't other FDs and PDs are not. So classifying the people that take the job as "losers" is a pretty ignorant statement.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:11 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times
Woah 2.5 hours commute! If you were so worried about the schools, why didn't you consider moving to a cheaper area like Staten Island? That would most likely cut that commute to around an hour each way.

Quote:

Old 04-14-2008, 03:00 AM

943 posts, read 4,258,693 times
Quote:
I hope he has taken the state police test? You are already live upstate that should have been a pretty simple decision for you guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City