Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2008, 03:03 AM

943 posts, read 4,257,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Woah 2.5 hours commute! If you were so worried about the schools, why didn't you consider moving to a cheaper area like Staten Island? That would most likely cut that commute to around an hour each way.
I'm assuming she means total commute (about an hour and some change each way) which is somewhat normal in this day and age. I could be wrong though.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:38 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
I do hope the police force get another raise...let's just hope that the Unions don't give it all AGAIN to the more senior guys at the expense of new recruits. If they were so concerned about the losers applying, they should have given the raise to the new recruits too. Throwing more money at the force will not change the REAL problems in the force (which I have discussed already). Hopefully though...the new recruits will share in the extra money instead of getting stiffed AGAIN.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:54 AM

20 posts, read 81,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I also like how you related baseball....and it should be noted that with all the top pay that the Yankees get..which is far and away a ridiculous amount of money, what have been their results? Lackluster results and subsequently new management...so MONEY does NOT equal success or ensures a better product...which is my argument. You can throw more money at the cops, just like they keep throwing more and more money at the schools, and what is the result? Money is not the REAL problem , it is corruption, incompetence, poorly trained/educated officers, mismanagement, the job itself, lack of resources, the work environment, the daily grind, the thanklessness, etc....throwing more money at something never solved anything...and it won't solve the REAL problems that plague the police department.
Yeah you are right money doesn't equal success but it does help getting the best that is available. That is why you see the Yankees and Boston in the playoffs every year. The fans are happy because they are getting the most out of their money. While teams such as the Devil Rays get about 8k- 10k people per game and only sell out when Yankees or Boston goes to play them. Do you think the people of New York are going to say the same thing when crimes goes up and businesses start losing money, specially those that are open late at night. It's only a matter of time before crimes starts going up. It will be like it was in the early 1990s when you wouldn't see people outside after 8 pm. At the end of the day the City will have to hire more cops and the only way to get more and those who are educated is going to be by increasing the salary. When you get those who are educated it less likely that you will get someone who will be willing to sell themselves to criminals or make dumb decisions and when you have someone who is educated you get someone who can implement new policies and solve crimes much faster. If the city keeps treating officers as if they were illegal immigrants or third class citizens then one day officers may get tired and leave in larger numbers or decide to go on strike. If a strike does occur you will see chaos and it will be Christmas for all criminals.

The city only has one choice at the end. Don't pay now, crimes goes up, money coming into the city goes down, and you pay higher salaries or you pay higher salaries and keep the status quo.

Someone here mentioned that the NYPD doesn't go to the neighborhood of the applicant. They actually do go. They came to my neighborhood two months ago and spoke with my neighbors and they also went to my previous neighborhood and spook to my neighbors. They do follow up because if your investigator hires you and then IA finds out you have a record they don't want to get fired or demoted.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:55 AM

13 posts, read 54,042 times
yes, we are looking around to see what they have to offer closer to the house, it seems that is not that bad and they also have overtime availeble here upstate, he also want to try the port authority so we'll see what is going to happened...oh and i forgot to say that he also took another job on his days off, the paid detail, so he could get some extra money, but now we will see him even less....
staten island is not that cheap and since he works in the bronx it would still be a long comute for him, probably with even more traffic and more expensive toll on the bridge.
a lot of nypd family's are moving upstate and they commute simply because they cant affort a comfortable living in the city...the rent in nyc for a small and ugly apartment is almost the same what we pay for the mortgage and at least we know what we're paying for...back in the bronx it was just sooo bad, no heat or hot water was a pretty normal thing so even with all the commuting and not seeing each other i definetly don't regret moving up here.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:19 AM

Knight I agree with your post. I would be happy to see the police force get a raise...EVERYONE in the police force..and not just the senior guys like last time. But how much money will it take to make a difference? How much of an increase would be required to get the quality of candidate that you seek? $10K? $20K? Because $5K isn't going to change anything....

Old 04-14-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Knight I agree with your post. I would be happy to see the police force get a raise...EVERYONE in the police force..and not just the senior guys like last time. But how much money will it take to make a difference? How much of an increase would be required to get the quality of candidate that you seek? $10K? $20K? Because $5K isn't going to change anything....
Guywithacause this is what I was able to calculate. This is from what I know and other NYPD officers have told me. The numbers could be higher.

You would think that every year if 4K officers retire then the academy will produce 4K to come into the force to take over but this is not what is going on. The force is getting smaller and smaller every year by almost 1,000 officer less every year for the last 5 years, even though around 2,000 officers graduate from the academy every year. It costs about 100K to investigate and train a new recruit for the NYPD that is 2 million dollars the city pays for the 20% who left during the academy another 2 - 3 millions who those who leave before the start of the academy for personal reasons or they didn't meet all the requirements and another 4 - 5 million for those who leave after they graduate and have less than 3 years in the force. In total the city wastes 25 - 30 million dollars per year (there are two classes per year in the academy, includes salary for recruits for the first 3 years and benefits). So in the life time (20 years) of one year of recruits the city comes up paying between 300 - 500 million dollars per class for officers who don't don't retire from the NYPD. If you have between 15- 19 years of classes making up the force. The City is wasting right now 7 to 9 billion dollars per year and every year it goes up by 150 - 175 million. If you take 9 billion and divided by 35,000 officers each officer can get a 25K raise if they all of them have 5.5 years on the force. This what the salary
would be like instead of what it is right now. The above numbers don't include overtime or night differential.

Academy (6months) ---> $40,000
After completing the academy ------> $ 48000
1.5 ----> $57,000
2.5 -----> $65,000
3.5 -----> $73,000
4.5 -----> $81,000
5.5 -----> $96,000

As you can see with these salaries NYC wouldn't be having any problems getting the finest people from New York State.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:22 PM

Thats alot of fuzzy math....at those salaries though..I think I might want to be a cop!!!! Sign me up! I don't see those salaries realistically happening anytime soon, especially considering that we MAY be in a prolonged recession. Unfortunately, the salaries will likely stay low as the city, like most private and public businesses, are now in a holding pattern and not giving out raises, etc until the recession clears...it's gonna be awhile.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:41 PM

How do you think Nassau County and Suffolk county are able to afford the high salary for their police officers. If this year they have 20 police officers who will complete 20 years of service probably around 3 - 5 will actually retire while the others stay longer. Who will want to leave if with overtime you can come out making 130 - 150K in one year.

Also since these counties are getting most of it's police officers from New York City they don't need to do the background check. They request that applicants have the NYPD forward the background check they did when they applied for the NYPD and any other files the NYPD has on the applicant.

So these counties instead of wasting 100K per applicant probably only spend 10 - 25k to do a follow up and train them.

As soon as NYPD starts paying the same saliries as them watch and you will see that they (Nassau and Suffolk) wouldn't be able to afford the high salaries because they will also be spending close to 100K to investigate candidates.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:39 AM

415 posts, read 1,394,845 times
Even if the pay in the city was the same as out on the island cops would leave the city.
The working conditions are much better on the island. If a cop has to do his job out there people don't go nuts about it.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:35 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
By charging property taxes that are 5 times higher than what people pay here in the city. Thats how they pay for it.

They also don't have to worry about paying various types of welfare payments for probably close to 1/5 of the population who costs the city money by living in public housing, using public services, or just causing problems (crime, littler, more police calls). They generally don't have these expenditures in Nassau or Suffolk to the degree that they exist in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight3131 View Post
How do you think Nassau County and Suffolk county are able to afford the high salary for their police officers. If this year they have 20 police officers who will complete 20 years of service probably around 3 - 5 will actually retire while the others stay longer. Who will want to leave if with overtime you can come out making 130 - 150K in one year.

Also since these counties are getting most of it's police officers from New York City they don't need to do the background check. They request that applicants have the NYPD forward the background check they did when they applied for the NYPD and any other files the NYPD has on the applicant.

So these counties instead of wasting 100K per applicant probably only spend 10 - 25k to do a follow up and train them.

As soon as NYPD starts paying the same saliries as them watch and you will see that they (Nassau and Suffolk) wouldn't be able to afford the high salaries because they will also be spending close to 100K to investigate candidates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City