Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2015, 04:56 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

"As such, Asian investment in the U.S. is poised to grow, according to commercial brokerage CBRE, which projected that Asian insurance funds would increase their spending on overseas real estate by $75 billion, to a stunning $205 billion in 2018. And New York, of course, is already feeling the impact of the shift.
In addition, China implemented changes that are already being felt here, including increasing allowable investments in other countries to $1 billion from $30 million (with government oversight, of course).
Last year, China’s Anbang Insurance Group picked up the Waldorf Astoria for $1.95 billion, a record sale price in the U.S. for a single hotel.
Investment from Japan — which was going gangbusters in the 1980s, but tanked during the Japanese recession in the 1990s and has mostly stagnated since — has also picked up recently, thanks to companies like real estate giant Mitsui Fudosan.
The Japanese firm, which owns 1251 Avenue of the Americas and 527 Madison Avenue, has said publicly it plans to spend up to $3 billion on Manhattan real estate by 2017. At the end of 2014, Mitsui Fudosan paid $259 million for a 90 percent stake in 55 Hudson Yards, a 1.3-million-square-foot tower going up at 33rd Street and 11th Avenue. The Related Companies and Canadian pension investment firm Oxford Properties are the other owners.
Meanwhile, in January, Japanese real estate investment firm Jowa Holdings paid $210 million for two Madison Square Park office buildings, at 24-28 West 25th Street and 40 West 25th Street. The firm also bought 440 Ninth Avenue, an office building, for $210 million in 2013."

There’s also the Oosten, Xin Development Group International’s 216-unit residential development at 429 Kent Avenue in Williamsburg. Plus, China’s largest residential developer China Vanke and developer Aby Rosen are teaming up on a condo project at 610 Lexington. Then there’s Fosun International’s $725 million purchase of 1 Chase Manhattan Plaza in 2014 and mogul Zhang Xin’s roughly $700 million purchase of a stake in the GM building back in 2013.

NYC Real Estate Investment | Chinese Investment US Real Estate

You had massive Chinese and other Asian investments in NYC in the past couple of years.

So you're flat out wrong in saying wealthy non white investors don't play a major part in NYC's economy. Wealthy Asians do. From buying properties to attending top universities and donating them money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
I am agreement with you for the majority of that post. Without trying to come across as patronising, It is the most level headed response I have seen from you yet. Knowing all of those facts, which I am also aware of I am surprised you can come down so heavily on so called 'ghetto' black people. Except for birth and circumstance, in all likelihood you or I would have been them.

There are poor Black communities (not all poor Black communities) where even going to the community itself is DANGEROUS.

I wouldn't want to have to dodge bullets because I am in the crossfire of gangsters.

Did you hear about the educated Black lawyer (Cuomo's administration) who got killed by gangsters during a pre Carnival celebration?

It's not safe for YOU or I to be in certain circumstances and you cannot allow racial politics to blind you to reality. I know I praise GOD I was not born to housing project parents and you should too.

With that being said I think we all know that is the result of racist policies in the past. The problem is what is to be done with it?

You just want to say Europe is better but even if its true so what? It's not like those ghetto Black people can just move to Europe. I doubt London wants to absorb New York's ghettoes.

Also you almost sound you're attacking these poor American Blacks you claim to like so much. If either CaribNY or I wanted to go to Europe we could. But for the ones you claim to be so concerned about, they don't have the money. Saintly Britain and the rest of Europe only accepts people who can either get sponsorship for a job and work visas, or student visas. Poor Americans cannot immigrate to Europe or claim refugee status. So then what positive solutions do you have for these people or basically you're just mocking/making fun of their situation.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:27 AM

861 posts, read 852,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Provide proof of this CLAIM!

And an article from Forbes is not necessarily proof. Show me hard data that shows that NYC has few foreign properties owned by non whites, as opposed to London having many.

A Chinese insurance company purchased the Waldorf Astoria, come to think of it. There are other major investments by Chinese and other Asians in NYC.
I have obviously ruffled a few feathers, but here

'African century' hits London's fanciest districts - CNN.com

Rich, urbane and entrepreneurial: meet Africa

Wealthy Africans spending almost £4million on London property every WEEK | Daily Mail Online

Also show me any data where Africans are investing up to 6 million USD a week in prime real estate in NYC?

Also investing in a country very is different to choosing to live there. My folks have interests in West Africa, but by and large I don't live there.

Data on foreign involvement in the London market is here

http://pdf.euro.savills.co.uk/reside...dlondon-lr.pdf 2013

http://pdf.euro.savills.co.uk/reside...-in-london.pdf 2014

You may not like it, but racial problems in the US are clear and the world has taken note.

Why do you think my own parents who owned a home in Beverly Hills since the 80s, still sent me to be educated in Britain?

Lastly attempts to pass off recent riots in the UK which were 50% white and 49% black as race riots is laughable

Show me how many Caucasians were out rioting alongside black kids in Baltimore or Ferguson? as I didnt see any.

The US is sadly still polarised by race as the Hipster debate shows and anything else is denial. Also if my points weren't salient why haven't Caucasian posters rebutted them, because they ring true and they know it!

Last edited by nograviti; 10-06-2015 at 05:37 AM..

Old 10-06-2015, 05:37 AM

861 posts, read 852,560 times
Quote:
There are poor Black communities (not all poor Black communities) where even going to the community itself is DANGEROUS.

I wouldn't want to have to dodge bullets because I am in the crossfire of gangsters.

Did you hear about the educated Black lawyer (Cuomo's administration) who got killed by gangsters during a pre Carnival celebration?

It's not safe for YOU or I to be in certain circumstances and you cannot allow racial politics to blind you to reality. I know I praise GOD I was not born to housing project parents and you should too.

With that being said I think we all know that is the result of racist policies in the past. The problem is what is to be done with it?

You just want to say Europe is better but even if its true so what? It's not like those ghetto Black people can just move to Europe. I doubt London wants to absorb New York's ghettoes.

Also you almost sound you're attacking these poor American Blacks you claim to like so much. If either CaribNY or I wanted to go to Europe we could. But for the ones you claim to be so concerned about, they don't have the money. Saintly Britain and the rest of Europe only accepts people who can either get sponsorship for a job and work visas, or student visas. Poor Americans cannot immigrate to Europe or claim refugee status. So then what positive solutions do you have for these people or basically you're just mocking/making fun of their situation.
Whenever I get the chance, I advocate a higher level of income redistribution, otherwise this blemish on the American soul will never disappear..

In short, the socio-economic profile of African Americans should at least resemble that of Caucasians, until it does this problem won't go away. Also I am not just advocating welfare, but education on things like parenting, life choices etc. More charter schools with the ability to fire bad teachers which we both agree on, would be a good start.

It really is that simple. But before that people need to accept there is a problem. Hipsters not wanting to rezone schools for disengenuous reasons is a problem. The first step is to recognise it as such..

I agree that certain areas are dangerous. But if you go with an attitude of superiority, people there will take note of it and probably gun you down.

My folks have walked unscathed through the Favelas of Rio as they showed respect and people there were delighted to show foreign African blacks around their neighbourhood.

Also I dont indulge in racial politics lightly, in the UK I wouldn't even entertain this discussion, but in the US race permeates everything so it becomes part of the discourse.

Trust me I dont entertain ideas of a unified black culture as my cultural mindset is strictly British Nigerian in the main and southern in character at that. But I will acknowledge when a structural bias affects myself and people who look like me. I will take action and stand against it whenever required...

Anyway, I will duck out of thread for awhile as I have been hogging it a little bit..

Last edited by nograviti; 10-06-2015 at 05:47 AM..

Old 10-06-2015, 07:57 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
This is a person who has no experience with the issue whatsoever.

Such viewpoints are unfortunate, because denial is a major reason that the problems continue.

PC folk or liberal white young people looking for the "real" stuff.

Probably what the poster means by "honestly hilarious," but in fact ... ? It honestly isn't.
No experience ever? But you know nothing about me just like i know nothing of you. However, just based on your comments I assume you have little conversations with the black community. Yes, I'm sure you interact but I'm positive conversations and close relationships are not developed.

There is no denial, because that is not an issue. Wasn't an issue for me as a child growing up, honor roll student in the gifted program at one of the worst middle schools in the city. I went to school and did my work, never once was bullied for talking "white". For some reason, people that have no experience in predominately black schools love bringing it up like it's a something that happens to every black child who wants to excel. And even if this was an issue, it's no different than the popular kids at school picking on the Nerds.

I went to Howard University, around thousands of educated minorities who talked "white" according to this thread. This was when Howard was a topnotch school, I'm saddened that its not as great as it once was even with all the funding. But anyway, don't speak for a whole race thats my point.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
Whenever I get the chance, I advocate a higher level of income redistribution, otherwise this blemish on the American soul will never disappear..

In short, the socio-economic profile of African Americans should at least resemble that of Caucasians, until it does this problem won't go away. Also I am not just advocating welfare, but education on things like parenting, life choices etc. More charter schools with the ability to fire bad teachers which we both agree on, would be a good start.

It really is that simple. But before that people need to accept there is a problem. Hipsters not wanting to rezone schools for disengenuous reasons is a problem. The first step is to recognise it as such..

I agree that certain areas are dangerous. But if you go with an attitude of superiority, people there will take note of it and probably gun you down.

My folks have walked unscathed through the Favelas of Rio as they showed respect and people there were delighted to show foreign African blacks around their neighbourhood.

Also I dont indulge in racial politics lightly, in the UK I wouldn't even entertain this discussion, but in the US race permeates everything so it becomes part of the discourse.

Trust me I dont entertain ideas of a unified black culture as my cultural mindset is strictly British Nigerian in the main and southern in character at that. But I will acknowledge when a structural bias affects myself and people who look like me. I will take action and stand against it whenever required...

Anyway, I will duck out of thread for awhile as I have been hogging it a little bit..
I'm at a loss for words for this foolish statement.

In a bad neighborhood (gangster violence) the thugs don't have to be shooting at you at all. Perhaps they are shooting at each other and you happen to be in the way. No matter what racial solidarity you feel with them, you just got yourself killed. This happened to Gabay, a Harvard educated lawyer who was a prominent official in the Cuomo administration.

Yes I know very well the historical forces behind what made those neighborhoods such total dumps ,but anyone not stupid avoids those neighborhoods. That's the plain truth.

How do you advocate a higher level of income distribution?

How did white Americans move up socioeconomically? Why couldn't this be repeated for Blacks? Obviously certain barriers were placed to prevent this from happening but if these barriers are truly removed there should be no need for income distribution as such.

Social mobility is real in the US and it does happen. The GI bill, and a number of other programs assisted Americans in moving up.

It sounds like you aren't really taking action against structural barriers or institutional biases in the US. Have you joined an activist group? Done actual work or studies on the subject?

Old 10-06-2015, 08:05 AM

If you are so concerned about US blacks, leave the UK out of it.

Most Black Americans will never see the UK and certainly not the poor. What goes on here at times is absolutely awful, but what people do or don't do in other places is absolutely irrelevant.

And please, painting London as a utopia for rich foreigners (if this is even true) helps poor oppressed Black Americans how? I fail to see the relevance really. Again you are mocking poor Blacks for not being able to afford London........

Old 10-06-2015, 08:38 AM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
It certainly goes take race into account.

What white ghettos do we have in the city? Be serious.
There may not be white ghettoes but there certainly are white trash ghetto kids all over the city. They are to he avoided just as adamantly as their darker brethren. Color means nothing to me. My safety and that of my family trumps all that nonsense.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:30 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
Quote:
If you are so concerned about US blacks, leave the UK out of it.

Most Black Americans will never see the UK and certainly not the poor. What goes on here at times is absolutely awful, but what people do or don't do in other places is absolutely irrelevant.

And please, painting London as a utopia for rich foreigners (if this is even true) helps poor oppressed Black Americans how? I fail to see the relevance really. Again you are mocking poor Blacks for not being able to afford London........
You asked him to provide links proving that rich foreigners are more comfortable in London as opposed to NYC. All he said, was provide the links to support his statement. Something you failed to do and frankly it's something you fail to do quite often.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:56 AM

119 posts, read 110,912 times
I don't think it should be against the law but I can appreciate that many, many people are offended by the sight of the Confederate flag, which by the way one sees fairly regularly down south. The people who fly these flags are almost certainly the same ones that will argue endlessly that the Civil War was really about states' rights...right.

[quote=Airborneguy;41383189]If displaying a flag (or watching an old show that includes it) is sufficient cause for restricting one's freedom, you are setting an extremely low bar to limit individual rights. The US was never meant to have a government or general society in which perceived slights, no matter how minor, are handled in this manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City