Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 08:47 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,298,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Your daughter does not represent all pre school teachers. Just because she whines about it doesn't mean that there aren't people who are happy with being pre school teachers.

As for the guys you know who are working in the projects, just because they feel that way doesn't mean all older men who are low income feel that way.

The job your daughter does, as well as the jobs done by those men you disparage in the housing projects all have to be done by someone.
You are right. You have some people that love living in poverty, but if I were living in the projects off of taxpayer money, I would be embarrassed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 09:22 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You are right. You have some people that love living in poverty, but if I were living in the projects off of taxpayer money, I would be embarrassed.
How is living in the housing projects really any worse than living in many of the privately owned apartment buildings in NYC?

On a long term basis renting is really for poor people. How is one form of poverty more embarassing than the other? The well to do live in houses, or if they do stay in cities, in condos or co-ops. The ultra rich have multiple properties.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
How is living in the housing projects really any worse than living in many of the privately owned apartment buildings in NYC?

On a long term basis renting is really for poor people. How is one form of poverty more embarassing than the other? The well to do live in houses, or if they do stay in cities, in condos or co-ops. The ultra rich have multiple properties.
There is a difference. Some people just prefer to rent because it gives them flexibility, not because they are poor, and I know of several people in that scenario. When you own, you take on a lot of responsibility that you don't have to deal with when renting. You are always "reprimanding" people about how they shouldn't make blanket statements, and yet you do the same thing. If you are renting an apartment at market rate and paying your own way, then I don't see anything to be embarrassed about. I know of quite a few people that rent in nice luxury buildings and are quite content. It may make sense to rent rather than to own for a multitude of reasons that have nothing to do with being poor. Meanwhile someone living in a subsidized housing project... That should be a temporary situation. I would be embarrassed to be living on taxpayer dollars.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:34 PM

106,704 posts, read 108,880,922 times
i have no problem renting . renting is what allowed us to take part in the commercial real estate deals we did . i would not have had the funds available if they were tied up in a house .

we had a 2nd home but i hate devoting any time to chores and maintenance . if i rebuy anything again it will be a co-op with no responsibility's

Old 12-20-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i have no problem renting . renting is what allowed us to take part in the commercial real estate deals we did . i would not have had the funds available if they were tied up in a house .

we had a 2nd home but i hate devoting any time to chores and maintenance . if i rebuy anything again it will be a co-op with no responsibility's
I have a friend who rents in a luxury building, and recently their heating/air conditioning system broke. A phone call was placed to management and a new one was installed within days. If they had to pay for that out of their own pocket, that would've been a nice expense. There are definitely some advantages to renting. As you know, when you own, you have far more headaches. I have done both as well and owning can be such a hassle. It isn't just the money, but the time to take care of things as well that can be annoying.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
There is a difference. Some people just prefer to rent because it gives them flexibility, not because they are poor, and I know of several people in that scenario. When you own, you take on a lot of responsibility that you don't have to deal with when renting. You are always "reprimanding" people about how they shouldn't make blanket statements, and yet you do the same thing. If you are renting an apartment at market rate and paying your own way, then I don't see anything to be embarrassed about. I know of quite a few people that rent in nice luxury buildings and are quite content. It may make sense to rent rather than to own for a multitude of reasons that have nothing to do with being poor. Meanwhile someone living in a subsidized housing project... That should be a temporary situation. I would be embarrassed to be living on taxpayer dollars.
In general, owners are wealthier by far than renters. You can come up with multiple explanations for it, but the true reason for renting is you at that particular point can't afford to buy a place. Nothing to do with flexibility or responsibility.

Most renters in NYC who live in private apartments do not live in luxury housing, which is really limited to new buildings and these are concentrated in certain neighborhoods at that.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
In general, owners are wealthier by far than renters. You can come up with multiple explanations for it, but the true reason for renting is you at that particular point can't afford to buy a place. Nothing to do with flexibility or responsibility.

Most renters in NYC who live in private apartments do not live in luxury housing, which is really limited to new buildings and these are concentrated in certain neighborhoods at that.
And so what is your point? Most New Yorkers rent anyway. Stop with the holier than thou crap. It's sickening. The fact remains that some people actually CHOOSE to rent and they have a right to. Yes, some people can't afford to own and so what if they can't? Living in NYC is expensive and there is nothing to be ashamed of in renting, especially if you are paying your own way. You were boasting about how you live in Manhattan, but you were paying a pittance in rent... Something below $700.00?? Am I right? Because you are a Columbia student? Well there are plenty of Columbia students that pay far more than that who rent.

Old 12-20-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
And so what is your point? Most New Yorkers rent anyway. Stop with the holier than thou crap. It's sickening. The fact remains that some people actually CHOOSE to rent and they have a right to. Yes, some people can't afford to own and so what if they can't? Living in NYC is expensive and there is nothing to be ashamed of in renting, especially if you are paying your own way. You were boasting about how you live in Manhattan, but you were paying a pittance in rent... Something below $700.00?? Am I right? Because you are a Columbia student? Well there are plenty of Columbia students that pay far more than that who rent.
I'm not holier than though.

You were the one looking down at people in public housing, and claiming that they should be embarrassed. But the reality is things aren't really that much better for the average renter in NYC, and that tells you who is renting in NYC long term. Wealthier people live in the suburbs, OR they own condos or co-ops in the city. If seeing true statements SHATTERS your EGO, then it is you who have the problem. I made no judgements here, but I did state FACT. Wealthier people are OWNERS. Poorer people RENT.

Old 12-20-2016, 03:50 PM

106,704 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:

homeowners are homeowners because they have the resources to buy, it is a wealthier group .

renters are a very mixed group ranging from very wealthy to very poor

Old 12-20-2016, 03:53 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,883,065 times
Quote:
The fact remains that some people actually CHOOSE to rent and they have a right to. Yes, some people can't afford to own and so what if they can't?
Only 40% of rental market is market rate apartments. The majority of renters live in a government regulated housing program that provide additional protection. Market rate renting by it nature is paying a premium on temporary housing. I would venture to guess the majority of people who can't make it in NYC are people living in market rate rentals who are unable to transition to permanent housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City