U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-04-2016, 01:09 PM
 
306 posts, read 174,582 times
Reputation: 79

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
This is probably a true statement but I do not believe leaving New York is the answer. I've already explored it and it did not work out. The nice neighborhoods in other states are just as expensive but the salaries are lower.

I cannot believe how much some of the rents are going for in Brooklyn. It is lunacy. I do not understand why these millennial are willing to pay exorbitant prices to live with roommates. I am so happy that they will never come to my neighborhood. I get to live in a safe neighborhood and pay reasonable rent. I do not need to live 10 minutes away from Manhattan. I like my apartment complex because they require good credit and a salary higher than 40x your income but the rent is reasonable. These guidelines help keep out the undesirables.

I guess we need to explore why so many of us are a few paychecks away from homelessness. Do we really need to pay $500 a month for a car note? What are we spending our money on? Are we living within our means and setting money aside for a raining day? You are only as rich as what you have in your bank account.

I guess affordable housing is a good thing but I am appalled at what they expect me to pay based on my income. You pay those prices for something you own not rent. I do not qualify for most of the apartments and can't afford what they think I should pay to live in an apartment will state of the art fixtures. It is great for the people with very low incomes. I would be weary living in a community with people who have low incomes and 500 credit scores.

NYC has its issues but there is no place like it. It has the most opportunities for my field. It is possible to live in a good neighborhood without breaking the bank and we have the best transportation system. It works for me.

WELL SAID , WELL SAID , there are ways someone can make it works in NYC , also you have to be smart , and not be lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-04-2016, 01:17 PM
 
23,265 posts, read 16,104,540 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Experience is the best teacher. I thought I could have a better life if I left New York. I learned it was not true. I have explored relocating to other places but the job market is not good for my field. It is difficult to find a job and the pay is not great. The nice neighborhoods are expensive. If the rent is low, it is low for a reason. You certainly will get more for your money but you have to make the money. If you can make the money, then leaving NY is a viable option. There are also cultural factors to consider.

Why do you assume only low income people are a few paychecks away from homelessness? That is a myth. There are a lot of broke people making decent money. It all boils down to what is coming in and what is going out. If I paid rent based on the 40x rule, saving would pose a challenge.


As far as rent, there are affordable options. We all cannot live 15 minutes away from Manhattan.
That's your personal experience though. You cannot extend it to all people. Not everyone works in your field. Other people leave NYC for other reasons, and never regret in. For some fields NYC doesn't have the highest concentration or the top jobs. Silicon Valley is in the bay area. Hollywood is in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2016, 02:57 PM
Status: "I am in preparation mode!" (set 12 days ago)
 
5,515 posts, read 5,511,850 times
Reputation: 4212
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
That's your personal experience though. You cannot extend it to all people. Not everyone works in your field. Other people leave NYC for other reasons, and never regret in. For some fields NYC doesn't have the highest concentration or the top jobs. Silicon Valley is in the bay area. Hollywood is in LA.
Isn't that what this forum is about? I am sharing my experience. Have you relocated to another state? If not, why? You seem to think it is so easy.

I doubt a person who is struggling to make ends meet would move to Silicon Valley. The rent is higher there than it is in NY. How did we go from being a few paychecks away from homelessness to living in Silicon Valley? Those people are at the top of their game. I think you are comparing apples with oranges. Have you been to the California forum? They complain about the price of rent all the time. If you are struggling in NY, I doubt the more desirable places in California would work.

People do leave NY in hopes of a better quality of life, some do make it work, and some return because NYC offers a better quality of life. The grass is not always greener on the other side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2016, 04:12 PM
 
23,265 posts, read 16,104,540 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Isn't that what this forum is about? I am sharing my experience. Have you relocated to another state? If not, why? You seem to think it is so easy.

I doubt a person who is struggling to make ends meet would move to Silicon Valley. The rent is higher there than it is in NY. How did we go from being a few paychecks away from homelessness to living in Silicon Valley? Those people are at the top of their game. I think you are comparing apples with oranges. Have you been to the California forum? They complain about the price of rent all the time. If you are struggling in NY, I doubt the more desirable places in California would work.

People do leave NY in hopes of a better quality of life, some do make it work, and some return because NYC offers a better quality of life. The grass is not always greener on the other side.
I'm out of NYC Dec. 31. I graduate from Columbia University now, and I already have offers pending. I'll actually be out of the country for awhile.

And yes, it is easy to relocate to another state OR another country for the right person. It all depends on what the person wants and is looking for.

In terms of whether a struggling person can leave, if they have friends or family elsewhere that can support them or help them until they get on their feet they most certainly can. That situation has happened in my family, and many of friends have been in that situation as well.

People have always MOVED IN AND MOVED out of NYC.

I'm not suggesting the answer is moving out of NYC, I am saying it's a personal choice and each person will come to the conclusion on what is best for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2016, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Bronx
14,885 posts, read 17,450,256 times
Reputation: 7539
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Isn't that what this forum is about? I am sharing my experience. Have you relocated to another state? If not, why? You seem to think it is so easy.

I doubt a person who is struggling to make ends meet would move to Silicon Valley. The rent is higher there than it is in NY. How did we go from being a few paychecks away from homelessness to living in Silicon Valley? Those people are at the top of their game. I think you are comparing apples with oranges. Have you been to the California forum? They complain about the price of rent all the time. If you are struggling in NY, I doubt the more desirable places in California would work.

People do leave NY in hopes of a better quality of life, some do make it work, and some return because NYC offers a better quality of life. The grass is not always greener on the other side.
NYC and SF are elite cities. NYC, SF and DC which is on par with NYC and SF all suffer from similar problems. High rents, inequality, expensive suburbs, most professions one must have a 4 year degree from a top school to get ahead, if not maybe a masters degree from a lower accredited institution or higher. In all of these elite legacy cities, one must have to be on top of his or her game to get ahead. If not, you will get left behind and fall into oblivion. As for California, I was told to avoid SF and LA, but since I'm a tech guy, SF might be up my ally. I have a friend out there who moved out of NYC to SF and is doing fine making apps. My college alumni had a meet up in San Diego, most of it had to do with military contract jobs. Just the other day, my doctor had a discussion with me about changing my life style. I may need to change location life style. He suggest Texas is probably the best place to move to in America at the moment, decent paying jobs, and no state tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2016, 06:53 PM
Status: "I am in preparation mode!" (set 12 days ago)
 
5,515 posts, read 5,511,850 times
Reputation: 4212
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I'm out of NYC Dec. 31. I graduate from Columbia University now, and I already have offers pending. I'll actually be out of the country for awhile.

And yes, it is easy to relocate to another state OR another country for the right person. It all depends on what the person wants and is looking for.

In terms of whether a struggling person can leave, if they have friends or family elsewhere that can support them or help them until they get on their feet they most certainly can. That situation has happened in my family, and many of friends have been in that situation as well.

People have always MOVED IN AND MOVED out of NYC.

I'm not suggesting the answer is moving out of NYC, I am saying it's a personal choice and each person will come to the conclusion on what is best for them.
Not all of us have the luxury of family helping us. Some of us have to do it all by ourselves. As for being the right person to relocate, sometimes you have to do it to discover it is not right for you. That is what I discovered through experience. People move in and out of NYC everyday. I do not dispute that but it was not the right choice for me. Perhaps it will work out for you since you are a Columbia graduate with pending offers. I presume you will be able to command a high enough salary to enjoy the good life. Good for you. It was not my reality. NYC is my home. I am not a transplant. I know how to make it here and this is where I shall stay because it works for me.

We both agree leaving NYC is not necessarily the answer. That is what I said from the very beginning. I am not sure how stating my experience suggests that I telling people what to do. It is forum where people discuss their opinions and experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2016, 07:33 PM
Status: "I am in preparation mode!" (set 12 days ago)
 
5,515 posts, read 5,511,850 times
Reputation: 4212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
NYC and SF are elite cities. NYC, SF and DC which is on par with NYC and SF all suffer from similar problems. High rents, inequality, expensive suburbs, most professions one must have a 4 year degree from a top school to get ahead, if not maybe a masters degree from a lower accredited institution or higher. In all of these elite legacy cities, one must have to be on top of his or her game to get ahead. If not, you will get left behind and fall into oblivion. As for California, I was told to avoid SF and LA, but since I'm a tech guy, SF might be up my ally. I have a friend out there who moved out of NYC to SF and is doing fine making apps. My college alumni had a meet up in San Diego, most of it had to do with military contract jobs. Just the other day, my doctor had a discussion with me about changing my life style. I may need to change location life style. He suggest Texas is probably the best place to move to in America at the moment, decent paying jobs, and no state tax.
I think these elitists communities represent a small part of the population.

There is nothing wrong with exploring different places to live. It may work out for you. I do not know anything about Texas. According to what I've seen on HGTV, real estate prices are reasonably low. I am just not a southern girl. Relocating is exciting in the beginning but after a while the novelty wears off. It is exhausting and expensive especially if you are doing it by yourself. I would rather just visit and come back home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2016, 07:41 PM
 
23,265 posts, read 16,104,540 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I think these elitists communities represent a small part of the population.

There is nothing wrong with exploring different places to live. It may work out for you. I do not know anything about Texas. According to what I've seen on HGTV, real estate prices are reasonably low. I am just not a southern girl. Relocating is exciting in the beginning but after a while the novelty wears off. It is exhausting and expensive especially if you are doing it by yourself. I would rather just visit and come back home.
Why are you making it about you? Bronxguyanese is seriously contemplating life for himself in Texas. It doesn't matter that you aren't a Southern girl, or what you rather would do or not do. I don't think Bronxguyanese has you in mind when deciding what to do with his life.

If he does indeed decide to move, he's a reasonable intelligent person who will do fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2016, 07:54 PM
Status: "I am in preparation mode!" (set 12 days ago)
 
5,515 posts, read 5,511,850 times
Reputation: 4212
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Why are you making it about you? Bronxguyanese is seriously contemplating life for himself in Texas. It doesn't matter that you aren't a Southern girl, or what you rather would do or not do. I don't think Bronxguyanese has you in mind when deciding what to do with his life.

If he does indeed decide to move, he's a reasonable intelligent person who will do fine.
Why don't you mind your own business? I am not talking to you. Who are you to tell me what I should or should not post? I do not particularly care for what you post but I do not comment because I don't care. It is your experience and opinion. This is a form of harassment and I want it to stop. I would prefer if you stop commenting on my posts. Back off!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2016, 08:27 PM
 
23,265 posts, read 16,104,540 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Why don't you mind your own business? I am not talking to you. Who are you to tell me what I should or should not post? I do not particularly care for what you post but I do not comment because I don't care. It is your experience and opinion. This is a form of harassment and I want it to stop. I would prefer if you stop commenting on my posts. Back off!
I did not harass you. You are the one inserting YOURSELF onto everyone's else's post. Bronxguyanese will decide what do what is best for him, ditto for anyone else. I am pointing out that other people are capable of deciding on whether to go and to stay, and that each time someone feels the need to say they are moving you do not need to comment with what you can't deal with outside of NYC!

You're self absorbed, and that did need pointing out! A guy mentions he is going to move to Texas (and you make it about you not being a Southern girl). Learn to get OVER YOURSELF!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top