Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 11:43 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
After living here for awhile this article does not in any way surprise me. I overspent, like many, when I first arrived. I had to keep up appearance, or so I thought. Have a certain address. Eat out like the real New Yorkers. Then I realized it wasn't sustainable. I took up a less glamorous residence, stopped buying retail designer, and made meals at home. I am far from white collar btw.

When I started to live more frugally a lot of friends judged me. Where they like literally made fun of my out-of-date phone, my refusal to take cabs, my cooking skills and refusal to eat out except on special occasions. When really I was just being practical. Many of them moved back home in the middle of the country, broke, with parents... but I don't spite them. I'm sure there's a lot of really great programming they download into their iPhone 7s while living in Iowa.

I think people here get caught up in keeping up with the Joneses, especially with so much wealth right in their face. I also think, as others have said, a tremendous amount of income goes unreported. It may look that way on the face of paychecks but many have money overseas, hidden, etc. Not to mention undocumented assets like property and stocks, bonds, etc.
Just moving to either upper Manhattan or the outer boroughs alone will save you money. Also for when you do eat out, ethnic food restaurants tend to be a lot cheaper than name brands, and you'll find plenty of ethnic restaurants in the outer boroughs or Upper Manhattan.

But yes people have to live within their means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 12:38 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
This is why there are so many white kids on the street begging for money.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:44 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,868,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
This is why there are so many white kids on the street begging for money.

Or they can get a job here:

https://newyorkcoffeejobs.com/jobs/h...nced-baristas/

Old 12-06-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I once overheard those fake charity services that claim to be helping the homeless standing on corners. One guy claims that he makes about $50/hr standing here. That's pretty darn good than working at Starbucks for $9.50/hr.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:01 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,868,687 times
Quote:
I once overheard those fake charity services that claim to be helping the homeless standing on corners. One guy claims that he makes about $50/hr standing here. That's pretty darn good than working at Starbucks for $9.50/hr.
As NYWriter would say, that fellow making $50/hr off the books, assuming that was his renumeration, is not paying into Medicaid and SSS hence he/she will be in for an unpleasant surprise upon old age. For a higher end coffee shop, the rate is about $19/hr for entry level with an opportunity to get promoted to manager or work for a larger hospitality company. It won't get to $50 for a long time but at least they will be paying into SSS and Medicaid.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:17 PM

25,371 posts, read 37,093,283 times
The root cause is the education system. Why is it not preparing the natives for the jobs in this city?

No, the root cause is the dying of the capitalist system in the United States that is not providing jobs, whether uber educated or uneducated.

With few jobs, seeking higher education is a waste of effort and money.

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 12-06-2016 at 03:51 PM..

Old 12-06-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
The root cause is the education system. Why is it not preparing the natives for the jobs in this city?

No, the root cause is the dying of the capitalist system in the United States that is not providing jobs, whether uber educated or uneducated.

With few jobs, seeking higher education is a waste of effort and money.[/quote]

This isn't true. There are clearly jobs in the city, and some people are clearing making money. However, higher education tends to be expensive, and the best schools are for well off people who are going to get well off jobs.

If you're poor you either can't afford to go to college, or you maybe working so many hours at a stressful low skill job that you can't properly study. Of course there are poor people who overcome the odds, who do budget well and study well and who do pull themselves out of poverty.

But I do think Kefir is being disingenuous to claim that all people have the same access to the same resources, and that all majors are the same. Depending on the major, you'll easily get a job. Nurse, teacher, social worker, etc. For things relating to business (both grad and undergrad) a lot depends on your talent and on your social networks.

*mod cut*

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 12-06-2016 at 03:51 PM..

Old 12-06-2016, 03:30 PM

The root cause is capitalism. The ultimate end game for capitalism is to own everything and pay nobody for resources and services.

We're getting to a level with technology has over-extracted the utility from the few workers and paying huge dividends towards the job creators. Why should they create more jobs or even pay more when they have the cheap resources to make lots of money.

We need this country to allow for more competition to create more opportunities. We can't allow big companies to easily buy up competition with cheap loans and regular people can't get a loan.

Eventually our society will be the few people that have jobs and the rest live on government handouts.

Old 12-06-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
The root cause is capitalism. The ultimate end game for capitalism is to own everything and pay nobody for resources and services.

We're getting to a level with technology has over-extracted the utility from the few workers and paying huge dividends towards the job creators. Why should they create more jobs or even pay more when they have the cheap resources to make lots of money.

We need this country to allow for more competition to create more opportunities. We can't allow big companies to easily buy up competition with cheap loans and regular people can't get a loan.

Eventually our society will be the few people that have jobs and the rest live on government handouts.
Except if nobody is paid for resources and services, no money circulates and there is no capitalism.

With that said access to finance is how people start new businesses, buy homes, etc. so I agree with you in saying we can't allow big companies to have easy access to finance when regular people have little access to finance.

But...............

Regular people do have access to finance. If you trust in the ability of someone, you can sign a formal loan agreement with someone and loan them the money. People do this with families and even with friends.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:32 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,486,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
This is what real New Yorkers do...
You are absolutely correct!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City