Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2016, 03:24 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Why don't you mind your own business? I am not talking to you. Who are you to tell me what I should or should not post? I do not particularly care for what you post but I do not comment because I don't care. It is your experience and opinion. This is a form of harassment and I want it to stop. I would prefer if you stop commenting on my posts. Back off!
Don't mind him. He's self-absorbed and always feels the need to stroke himself on the back (ad nauseam) while looking down on others. You did know he's an Ivy League graduate, right? Thought I would inform you just in case you didn't know before he reminds us all yet again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 04:21 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,486,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Don't mind him. He's self-absorbed and always feels the need to stroke himself on the back (ad nauseam) while looking down on others. You did know he's an Ivy League graduate, right? Thought I would inform you just in case you didn't know before he reminds us all yet again.
Lol! I greatly appreciate your comment. Thank you.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:31 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I do not look down on others. When have I ever said such a thing? In the context of this thread, I do think people need to respect other people's decisions to stay or go. It's the person involved who has to live with the consequences of either staying in NYC or leaving NYC. If someone decides to stay, fine. If someone decides to leave, fine. It's their choice and ultimately no choice.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:26 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,569,297 times
After living here for awhile this article does not in any way surprise me. I overspent, like many, when I first arrived. I had to keep up appearance, or so I thought. Have a certain address. Eat out like the real New Yorkers. Then I realized it wasn't sustainable. I took up a less glamorous residence, stopped buying retail designer, and made meals at home. I am far from white collar btw.

When I started to live more frugally a lot of friends judged me. Where they like literally made fun of my out-of-date phone, my refusal to take cabs, my cooking skills and refusal to eat out except on special occasions. When really I was just being practical. Many of them moved back home in the middle of the country, broke, with parents... but I don't spite them. I'm sure there's a lot of really great programming they download into their iPhone 7s while living in Iowa.

I think people here get caught up in keeping up with the Joneses, especially with so much wealth right in their face. I also think, as others have said, a tremendous amount of income goes unreported. It may look that way on the face of paychecks but many have money overseas, hidden, etc. Not to mention undocumented assets like property and stocks, bonds, etc.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:54 PM

181 posts, read 190,797 times
So what should be done about people one check away from being homeless? Tell them to get a 2nd job? Stop having children while not being financially stabled/living off minimum wage? Pick up a trade/enroll in college? I mean, what can really be done?

Old 12-06-2016, 01:08 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
After living here for awhile this article does not in any way surprise me. I overspent, like many, when I first arrived. I had to keep up appearance, or so I thought. Have a certain address. Eat out like the real New Yorkers. Then I realized it wasn't sustainable. I took up a less glamorous residence, stopped buying retail designer, and made meals at home. I am far from white collar btw.

When I started to live more frugally a lot of friends judged me. Where they like literally made fun of my out-of-date phone, my refusal to take cabs, my cooking skills and refusal to eat out except on special occasions. When really I was just being practical. Many of them moved back home in the middle of the country, broke, with parents... but I don't spite them. I'm sure there's a lot of really great programming they download into their iPhone 7s while living in Iowa.

I think people here get caught up in keeping up with the Joneses, especially with so much wealth right in their face. I also think, as others have said, a tremendous amount of income goes unreported. It may look that way on the face of paychecks but many have money overseas, hidden, etc. Not to mention undocumented assets like property and stocks, bonds, etc.
This is very true from my observation. It is very sickening. On the flip side, its not my money and not my problem.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:23 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
I don't save much money anymore, but I put $100 extra per month into my mortgage account so I always have extra just in case, and only for the mortgage. That tactic paid off over the last 5 months when I was short for a bit, but now it is building up again. It's a big relief to have extra money set aside for the most important bill. Worst case, everything else can be cancelled.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:04 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I took up a less glamorous residence, stopped buying retail designer, and made meals at home.
This is what real New Yorkers do...

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-06-2016, 11:04 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I don't save much money anymore, but I put $100 extra per month into my mortgage account so I always have extra just in case, and only for the mortgage. That tactic paid off over the last 5 months when I was short for a bit, but now it is building up again. It's a big relief to have extra money set aside for the most important bill. Worst case, everything else can be cancelled.
They can take everything else except the house, I feel the same way haha

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-06-2016, 11:27 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
They can take everything else except the house, I feel the same way haha
Exactly. Worst case I ditch cable, cellphone, my car etc. My house is priority #1, especially since rent would likely be more anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City