Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2018, 12:16 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
There’s plenty of Dominicans that look down on Puerto Ricans though. It’s such a shame.
I once dated a Dominican woman who met me and thought I was so cute. She had no idea where I was from but once she knew I was Puerto Rican confided to me she had bad impressions of Puerto Ricans. So as a gentleman I made a good impression. She loved me. Yet, the fact she was married sort of killed my vibe for her. She was beautiful but Im not messing with that.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:19 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
I once dated a Dominican woman who met me and thought I was so cute. She had no idea where I was from but once she knew I was Puerto Rican confided to me she had bad impressions of Puerto Ricans. So as a gentleman I made a good impression. She loved me. Yet, the fact she was married sort of killed my vibe for her. She was beautiful but Im not messing with that.
Dominicans look down on lots of people. Nothing new there. As I said though, I think the younger generation is a bit more open minded.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Everyone in Puerto Rico and the DR is “mixed”. It’s a meaningless term in those contexts. People will call you by your appearance or skin color.
Everyone every where is mixed.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:23 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Yes, this term isn't used much anymore
I prefer mixed. We are mixed in some way even whites are not 100 percent any ethnic group. I am a dark skinned white guy so sometimes Americans think I am Latino or Middle Eastern and I am Swedish, Dutch, German and Russian descent.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Dominicans look down on lots of people. Nothing new there. As I said though, I think the younger generation is a bit more open minded.
Every group looks down on someone. Thats why our species is doomed.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I prefer mixed. We are mixed in some way even whites are not 100 percent any ethnic group. I am a dark skinned white guy so sometimes Americans think I am Latino or Middle Eastern and I am Swedish, Dutch, German and Russian descent.
Russian central asians ? They look like Puerto Ricans.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:25 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I am a dark skinned white guy so sometimes Americans think I am Latino or Middle Eastern and I am Swedish, Dutch, German and Russian descent.
None of those groups strike me as "swarthy" whites, so where does the dark skin come from??

Old 07-16-2018, 12:27 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,784 times
Quote:
Russian central asians ? They look like Puerto Ricans.
Russia is a very diverse country it is EuroAsia. I am only a like 25 percent Russian. Many white Russians can be dark in completion like Tatars. It is funny when Latinos think I speak Spanish cause of how I look and start speaking to me in Spanish and then get made when I cannot speak Spanish well.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:29 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I would say that some do, but in most cases, I can tell a Dominican from a Rican, but there are plenty of Ricans that are "blatinos" as well. Everyone focuses on the Dominicans having black in them, but I've met plenty of Ricans that are black too, though they seem to be oblivious to it, which always gives me a chuckle. It's like yes you can be Latino AND be black. Latino is NOT a race despite what some people may think. I've met all sorts of Latinos. I see a lot of them now with the afros too (usually the mulatto looking ones) which always gives me a chuckle, because I don't think it was as common before to have "pelo malo" but now the younger generation of Latinos doesn't seem to care as much. There's a Dominican guy I get on the bus who always has braids or corn rolls. He visibly has black in him (looks like a mix of taino and black features wise and complexion wise). He has a very thick Dominican accent, and he's a very nice guy. Very polite with the passengers, and I always mess around with him with his hair do.
Many of the young people refer to themselves as Afro-Latinos and there is a big movement among Blackness among younger Latinos.

Especially at among college students from CUNY to Columbia.

Even in the websites frequented by Latinos, there are a lot of references to Afro-Latinos so this isn't just academic. This is in pop culture as well.

This forum is often way behind trends.

And yes there's more of push to just identify as Black in Spanish speaking countries themselves.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:37 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,762,482 times
Quote:
It did have many more once in Manhattan and the Bronx. I dont have numbers, but we always had Cubans in our circles. Their still Cubans represented not on Miami levels but Cubans are present.
Hmmm...I didn't know that. I don't think I ever met anyone that's Cuban. Met plenty of Dominicans, Haitians, Jamaicans, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans even people from Spain, Peru, Brazil, Honduras. But I'm trying to think if I know anyone Cuban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City