Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 10:27 AM

201 posts, read 85,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
If I was in Texas I’d be upper upper middle class.
How so? You assimilate well in Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 10:44 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
[quote=Shoshanarose;56341156]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

I don't know how many times I can say this: class is not just about noney.
The union guys who work build tunnels for the MTA and other city projects make well over 100k, and they are working class.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:26 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times
[quote=NyWriterdude;56351983]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post

The union guys who work build tunnels for the MTA and other city projects make well over 100k, and they are working class.
They would be middle class with that salary.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:41 AM

201 posts, read 85,160 times
[quote=Foamposite;56352295]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

They would be middle class with that salary.
The whole working world has changed and been flipped upside down. Not many of you are giving an honest appraisal of who is who, and what is what.

It is hard to pin point who makes tons of money today and how, because most of the people raking in big bucks are business owners. Some of them just make money online so you never even see them and they certainly are not professing loudly to the entire world how exactly they are raking it in.

Others very well may be sitting in some immaculate office palace somewhere high in the sky and making $250K+ but those folks are fewer and fewer every single day. Those types of salaries are going down the drain due to a bunch of circumstances that i chose not to even discuss, but there is a complex of reasons.

Old 10-07-2019, 12:13 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
[quote=NyWriterdude;56351983]
Quote:

This

Old 10-07-2019, 12:16 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times
[quote=Shoshanarose;56352679]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

This
Can you explain to me how "middle class" is anything but an economic descriptor? I've literally never heard anyone claim that middle class and blue collar are mutually exclusive except on here.

Union Guys= blue collar and middle class

Old 10-07-2019, 12:33 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
[quote=Foamposite;56352707]
Quote:

Can you explain to me how "middle class" is anything but an economic descriptor? I've literally never heard anyone claim that middle class and blue collar are mutually exclusive except on here.

Union Guys= blue collar and middle class
The term "middle class" should not even be used anymore. It's a social construct designed to make people think they are doing better than they really are. Either you're 99% (which 99% of us are, lol) or 1% (which 99% of us are not). Either you're a patrician or a plebeian.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-07-2019, 12:42 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The term "middle class" should not even be used anymore. It's a social construct designed to make people think they are doing better than they really are. Either you're 99% (which 99% of us are, lol) or 1% (which 99% of us are not). Either you're a patrician or a plebeian.
That is such nonsense. Plenty of people are doing just fine and they aren't part of the 1%. People are stuck on materialistic things. What's important is that you are happy where you are in life. There are plenty of people with money that are truly miserable, so how much money one has doesn't tell the whole story. Some things can't be bought. Often times, the more money people make, the more problems they have. I have seen plenty of people on the Suzy Orman show when it was around that made over $100,000 a year with no kids, etc. and they were swimming in debt because they spent every last penny they had. It isn't all about what you have but how you manage and what your expenses are. Just ask Allen Iverson $200 million dollars later who was almost BROKE.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:40 PM

19,054 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
That is such nonsense. Plenty of people are doing just fine and they aren't part of the 1%. People are stuck on materialistic things. What's important is that you are happy where you are in life. There are plenty of people with money that are truly miserable, so how much money one has doesn't tell the whole story. Some things can't be bought. Often times, the more money people make, the more problems they have. I have seen plenty of people on the Suzy Orman show when it was around that made over $100,000 a year with no kids, etc. and they were swimming in debt because they spent every last penny they had. It isn't all about what you have but how you manage and what your expenses are. Just ask Allen Iverson $200 million dollars later who was almost BROKE.
Staying out of debt by not buying pointless luxuries or using credit to go on vacations that I cannot afford to pay for in cash is exactly how I've managed to save for retirement while consistently paying double and sometimes triple payments on my mortgage and cars. You don't have to be "rich" to live comfortably. You don't have to have flashy items to live.

First major step to being financially sound? Don't fall for "fashion" nonsense. Clothing is the worst category where middle class people are duped into wasteful spending. Step two is to cook for yourself much more often than not.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-07-2019, 01:58 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Ok

Whatever makes you sleep good at night

I doubt any patricians post here

Only plebs post here

You attribute pleb = peasant (negative connotation)

Look at your own life, you work for somebody else, and you rent, therefore you own no land, and the "lord of the land" controls your domicile

Pleb

No shame in being a pleb

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City