Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In your opinion is crime citywide up or down since 2005?
Up 89 47.85%
Down 97 52.15%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 05:25 PM

423 posts, read 1,281,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKTony View Post
In certain precincts crime is not correctly reported. My family still lives in East New York and I know for fact two murders there that were not recorded there by the 75th precinct. Both murders were shootings. One victim was a 16 yr old boy. Maybe they want to win awards by saying that their hard work has lowered the crime rate. Regardless about tourism, business, etc. Giving false crime reports is wrong. It does not let the community know if there is a major problem with our youth or not. It also does not show if the police are doing what they claim to be doing.
Yep, I also brought this topic up before in which someone was murdered on 51st and 5th avenue in my neighborhood in Brooklyn, and the murder was never counted. Those two murders that happened in East Flatbush last night probably won't be counted either. (Or they will, just because it was in the news)

In Bed-Stuy there was 4 murders in one night back in February but only 2 were counted I believe.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:03 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
Yep, I also brought this topic up before in which someone was murdered on 51st and 5th avenue in my neighborhood in Brooklyn, and the murder was never counted. Those two murders that happened in East Flatbush last night probably won't be counted either. (Or they will, just because it was in the news)

In Bed-Stuy there was 4 murders in one night back in February but only 2 were counted I believe.
Yep, those murders still aren't counted. It definitely seems like the more a murder is broadcast in the news, the chances of it being counted are higher.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:08 PM

The murders dropping might be believable...

But who HONESTLY believes there has been 1500 less robberies in 2009 when compared to 2008.

At this point in 2008, there was 8,832 robberies. Now in 2009 there's 7,326. Really?

In 2010 we'll have 5,800. 2011 will have 4,300. By 2015 no more robberies will happen in this city!

Old 06-09-2009, 02:00 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
Andez see my explanation on the Law of Diminshing Returns above, and that will explain why in 2015 there will not be zero robberies. Let's be reasonable here. I know its hard to believe there are only 7,326 robbering YTD...its too bad that such a drop cannot be understood or seen as accurate. It may not be..but a few years ago the thought of only 500 murders in all of NYC was a pipedream...and we see what is happening today.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:21 PM

7 posts, read 17,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
Keep in mind you were in Manhattan. Brooklyn, The Bronx and Queens are a whole different world.

That being said some some areas in Midtown feel very desolate after dark. Doesn't necessarily make it not safe, but I just feel uneasy.

I have to admit this sounds very much like any large European city. Get out of the Centre of the City and where most of the general population live and the crime rates change. i did get onto the Brooklyn bridge but didn,t cross over it into Brooklyn.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:59 PM

674 posts, read 1,814,099 times
NYPD Philosphy

Less Cops=Less Crime
Economic Recession=Less Crime
Election Year=ALOT Less Crime
WIDE Nypd Corruption=Less Crime
(sigh)

Old 06-16-2009, 08:59 AM

674 posts, read 1,814,099 times
Did anyone else notice that there were a bunch of homicides this weekend?

Old 06-16-2009, 11:19 AM

657 posts, read 1,632,834 times
Wow, I can't believe people are still debating this topic. Let's just realize that bottom line is there are neighborhoods in the city that could rival any other place in the country in terms of crime and urban decay and there are neighborhoods in the city that could rival any other place in the country in terms of safety. Overall, the city isn't as bas as the mid 80s - early 90s but it is still VERY BAD overall, it just went from EXTREMELY bad to VERY BAD so I don't see what's there to be so proud of (but that's just me). Let's face it, criminals don't just stay in one neighborhood or area, they migrate. So since there are plenty of criminals/gangs etc in the city you could find one in your neighborhood, or on the train, or wherever during anytime of the day and you could be a victim...in certain areas more likely than others but it could happen and it usually happens to those who THINK it can't happen. You cannot just go based on the "stats" here because there are just too many variables to take into consideration and at the end of the day...there only NUMBERS. I say go live in these places for a considerable amount of time, talk to people who live/have lived in these places for a considerable amount of time, talk to police who walk the beat in these areas to get a good feel for how dangerous/safe these areas are, not just go off of what Bloomberg and Kelly told you on the news/newspapers.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:45 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,414 times
This past week, overall, has been crazy. Not even the stats could lie this week lol. I noticed the 62nd precinct (Bensonhurst) has been having a lot of murders this past year, hell it's on par with Bushwick (83rd precinct). Though of course Brownsville and East New York have bigger numbers in murder and burglary (esp 73rd precinct), I'm not sure if those neighborhoods will ever improve for the better.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
This past week, overall, has been crazy. Not even the stats could lie this week lol. I noticed the 62nd precinct (Bensonhurst) has been having a lot of murders this past year, hell it's on par with Bushwick (83rd precinct). Though of course Brownsville and East New York have bigger numbers in murder and burglary (esp 73rd precinct), I'm not sure if those neighborhoods will ever improve for the better.
Yeah, and it's not only bensonhurst. The whole Brooklyn South precinct has been rising a LOT in murders for the past 2 years. In 2007 it had like 72 or something. 2008 it had 95. This year it looks to be going up even higher than 2008 numbers.

Even on the gothamist newsmap if you've been checking regularly for the past year or so you will have deffinitely noticed a rise in shootings in the whole brooklyn south area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City