Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 06:00 AM

65 posts, read 429,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH2CA View Post
The trip didn't happen ... I had some work to do, and since JiminCT reminded me about Potsdam I decided to stick around, work, and then head up to Potsdam for some coffee at Strawberry Hills (??) and check out the bookstore.

Hmmm .. great plan .. but .. I forgot, it was Sunday, and both places were closed :-(

I'm hoping things won't be closed on Sundays once schools starts up again.

I hope to make it to Chapters/Ikea this coming weekend, probably Sunday.

Oh, and I've taken a liking to the bagels at P&C :-)
OH2CA....how are you enjoying life in the "North Country". Hope you are settling in well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 04:17 PM

87 posts, read 310,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clynnog View Post
From what I recall when visiting my brother and his wife at SLU, the coffee at the bookstore at SLU is quite nice. It is a lovely bookstore and they can order lots of books as well.
hi clynnog,

yes, it's a nice book store, small, but seems well stocked. Haven't had much time to check it out in depth yet, but I will as soon as I get settled more into a routine. (Classes started last week, and I was very suprised to find out that we were expected to teach on Labor Day!).

Quote:
In terms of grocery shopping, he found Canton to be kind of sparse
agreed!

Quote:
and he would sometimes go to the Your Independent Grocer in Prescott, Ontario. (once you get over the bridge, go on the 401 1 exit westbound and it is on the south side of the Highway (you can't miss it)...

If you head to Chapters/Ikea on Sunday, there is a massive Loblaws supermarket on the south side of Baseline Road, just east of Woodroffe (about 2 -3 km south east of the Chapters/Ikea.
I think I have heard about the grocery store in Prescott, I'll save it for the next time I feel the need to get out of town.

I did drive up to the Chapters/Ikea, thanks for the info on Loblaws, never heard of it. Part of the problem is that if I get stuff there, I might have to take along a cooler to keep some goodies cool/frozen until I get back to Canton.

I still enjoy how friendly everyone is here .. but we've had a few spells of incredible humidity - like today, the dewpoint was in the 70s!! Thats plenty uncomfortable. Folks keep telling me this is very unusual, and I tend to believe them since not many people have AC around here, still, it's happened more than I like :-)

Old 09-07-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
Check out The Bagelry in Potsdam. The real deal for those of us from bagel meccas. Of course, when you hit Ottawa or Montreal...you'll get introduced to Montreal bagels. Smaller, dipped in honey water...and put on a board to be baked in a wood burning oven. fantastic stuff. In Montreal...Fairmount or St. Viateur bagels. Ottawa has a few places...forgot the names.
Hi JiminCT,

The Canadian bagels sound intriguing .. I did step into the Bagelry in Potsdam last week, but it was crazy busy and I didn't feel like standing in line. It does speak for the place though being so busy.

I made it to the Ikea/Chapters near Ottawa, but didn't head downtown. I hope to rectify that in the near future as soon as I get more settled into a work routine.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clynnog View Post
There is a place on the west side of Bank Street about 1.5 km south of the 417 in the Glebe Neighbourhood, just to the south of the Brewers Retail/Beer Store and a good place at the north west corner of Carling/Woodroffe...both of them via a wood burning oven.
Cool .. thanks clynnog .. noted.

To answer your other question, I am getting settled in all right and am busy with work. I do have bouts of feeling claustrophobic and cut off from the rest of the world every once in a while, and I wish there were more places to socialize around here. I'm the only single person in a large department, and probably over 90% of people I have met at school are married ... lucky (?) for me, work keeps me rather busy.

The postings here have been very helpful in pointing out things to do and see though.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:09 PM

3,514 posts, read 9,428,585 times
Quote:
I do have bouts of feeling claustrophobic and cut off from the rest of the world every once in a while, and I wish there were more places to socialize around here.
I know that feeling. This is the reason why I'd only consider living in Upstate NY's largest metros...Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Albany. I find that once I leave the suburbs of those cities I start having those empty feelings....

Old 09-08-2007, 06:56 AM

640 posts, read 2,012,804 times
Yes but having easy access to GROWING and PROGRESSIVE cities like Ottawa and Montreal nearby.
No offence...but empty feeling is exactly what comes to mind when I go to Buffalo, Syracuse, and Rochester.

The media in Canton includes Ottawa...so you are still linked.

Last edited by JiminCT; 09-08-2007 at 07:19 AM..

Old 09-08-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Yes but having easy access to GROWING and PROGRESSIVE cities like Ottawa and Montreal nearby.
No offence...but empty feeling is exactly what comes to mind when I go to Buffalo, Syracuse, and Rochester.

The media in Canton includes Ottawa...so you are still linked.
I trust by media you aren't referring to 101 The Fox. That station tried, desperately, to try and include Ottawa in their broadcasts including advertising on Ottawa buses and giving Ottawa traffic reports (in which they mis-pronounced a number of roads), Ottawa weather etc, despite the fact that in most of Ottawa the station is a weak signal. They seem to have curtailed their Ottawa obsession. Deep down it is a 3rd market station cranking out classic rock for a small town audience (but a friendly audience). When in NNY, I prefer NPR.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:06 AM

640 posts, read 2,012,804 times
CHEZ 106.1 (classic rock)
BOB 93.9 (anything)
KISS 105.3 (adult contemporary)
COUNTRY 101.1
JOE 92.3 (anything)
THE BEAR 106.9 (harder rock)
91.5 CBC (like our NPR)
100.3 (light AC)
88.5 LIVE (modern rock)
89.9 (hits)
All of these are easily picked up in Canton and all are from Ottawa.

The FOX is licensed to Canton. Not Ottawa...they did try to market themselves up there to no avail. CHEZ is like CHOM in Montreal...a big monster. No way 101.5 would ever make inroads up there.

WSLU in Canton is a good NPR pickup. When in Watertown..WCNY or WRVO are also available via translators.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
CHEZ 106.1 (classic rock)
BOB 93.9 (anything)
KISS 105.3 (adult contemporary)
COUNTRY 101.1
JOE 92.3 (anything)
THE BEAR 106.9 (harder rock)
91.5 CBC (like our NPR)
100.3 (light AC)
88.5 LIVE (modern rock)
89.9 (hits)
All of these are easily picked up in Canton and all are from Ottawa.

The FOX is licensed to Canton. Not Ottawa...they did try to market themselves up there to no avail. CHEZ is like CHOM in Montreal...a big monster. No way 101.5 would ever make inroads up there.

WSLU in Canton is a good NPR pickup. When in Watertown..WCNY or WRVO are also available via translators.
You are right that The Fox is a Canton station. 106.1 should be re-named Radio Supertramp. Never have I heard such a dire repetitive playlist as CHEZ. Their demographic is firmly suburban 30 -45 year old males who haven't replaced their music collection since they were teenagers. Radio 2 from Ottawa is at 103.3, Kingston at 92.9 and Montreal at 93.5. Radio 1 from Cornwall is 95.5 and from Kingston it is 107.5 Not sure which will come in best in Canton. I'm surprised that 88.5 is available in Canton as it starts to fade about 50 km west of downtown Ottawa.

If you were located along the St. Lawrence River area between Brockville and Cornwall, you'd pick up a slew of stations from Ottawa, Cornwall, Brockville, Montreal, Kingston, NNY etc.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Cool .. thanks clynnog .. noted.

To answer your other question, I am getting settled in all right and am busy with work. I do have bouts of feeling claustrophobic and cut off from the rest of the world every once in a while, and I wish there were more places to socialize around here. I'm the only single person in a large department, and probably over 90% of people I have met at school are married ... lucky (?) for me, work keeps me rather busy.

The postings here have been very helpful in pointing out things to do and see though.
Yes, it is rather a family orientated place if you aren't a student. Maybe somebody in your department knows a single friend etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York