Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2007, 08:06 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,409,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
So you never looked for work outside of your company. Was the slow go North Carolina's fault or your companies fault...?
I looked EVERYWHERE inside and outside of the company. I heard every story from the sheer amount of people applying (sometimes as many as 1,000 per requisition) to the "tossing the applications of the northerners in place of the southerners".

The woman who works in back of me had two headhunters going, monster and careerbuilder going, her own stuff working and it still took her 8 months. Her husband was in banking for 16 years in MA and was never able to get back into banking IN CHARLOTTE no matter how hard he tried. He's now driving limos for a living. He loves it but even so....

Those are very common tales...people taking huge paycuts below the cost of living down here, people having to make career switches just to find anything, people being out of work for 6, 8 + months. Search the NC posts on this subject.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:10 PM

975 posts, read 3,731,602 times
I guess there's a reason NC is so cheap to live.

I put in a bunch of apps for FL jobs today so I'll see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I looked EVERYWHERE inside and outside of the company. I heard every story from the sheer amount of people applying (sometimes as many as 1,000 per requisition) to the "tossing the applications of the northerners in place of the southerners".

The woman who works in back of me had two headhunters going, monster and careerbuilder going, her own stuff working and it still took her 8 months. Her husband was in banking for 16 years in MA and was never able to get back into banking IN CHARLOTTE no matter how hard he tried. He's now driving limos for a living. He loves it but even so....

Those are very common tales...people taking huge paycuts below the cost of living down here, people having to make career switches just to find anything, people being out of work for 6, 8 + months. Search the NC posts on this subject.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:11 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,409,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
Brian,

Would you say that you need to be in a southern old boys' network to find a job down there?
The only reason I'm working now is because a friend of mine who happened to be a northerner helped me in. Beyond that I have heard the stories of resumes being tossed aside in favor of a local. You can't prove it but you hear things from people who would be in the know.

It took me almost four months to get my first interview while living down here. It took me three days to have two offers for work back in New Jersey...and that was with me hardly even trying.

That makes it an awful risk living here: between the influx of people and that stigma, it makes for a double whammy. That's one of the many reasons we've decided to move back up to New Jersey.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:39 PM

That's good to know about -- I think that problem wouldn't even occur to a lot of people, though it does exist. It's especially discouraging that you were already physically down there but still had that problem. Though, as I said before, NC isn't my first choice so it may not be an issue.

Quote:
The only reason I'm working now is because a friend of mine who happened to be a northerner helped me in. Beyond that I have heard the stories of resumes being tossed aside in favor of a local. You can't prove it but you hear things from people who would be in the know.

It took me almost four months to get my first interview while living down here. It took me three days to have two offers for work back in New Jersey...and that was with me hardly even trying.

That makes it an awful risk living here: between the influx of people and that stigma, it makes for a double whammy. That's one of the many reasons we've decided to move back up to New Jersey.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:42 PM

mom2:

It can be done this way sometimes -- I moved to NY without one years ago and found a job within a few weeks. The problem is a lot of places don't want to hire relocation people unless they have some skill that's really in demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
IN reference to finding a job moving south..why are people moving south or any other place without a job anyway? Even if you did cash out on equity and purchased a home "for cash"..you gotta eat, pay taxes, gas..and even with a little stash money...it seems rather silly.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:58 PM

177 posts, read 614,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigred View Post
You are so right. Southerns only run with their own crowd. No tolerance for diversity, which is okay, but a little boring.

So you're saying the people in Greenwich Village are buddy buddy with cats from East New York? You can't run that on me...I'm sorry. I know what it's like there. Yeah, it's more forward in a lot of ways...but to paint this picture like people up there just love everybody, you're really writing some good fiction literature here.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:01 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
[quote=hew2a;944955]So you're saying the people in Greenwich Village are buddy buddy with cats from East New York? You can't run that on me...I'm sorry. I know what it's like there. Yeah, it's more forward in a lot of ways...but to paint this picture like people up there just love everybody, you're really writing some good fiction literature here.[/QUOTE

Wow...I couldn't have said it better.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:25 PM

177 posts, read 614,047 times
I NeedAChange

Look...I'm going to put it to you like this (and then I'm done with this board).

It's the South. Like anywhere there is good and bad. Yeah, there are clicks. Like anywhere. So WHAT! There are TONS of people who are ready to welcome you as a friend and even introduce you to even more people.

Two of my friends (a married couple) just moved here from New Jersey. The husband has made so many friends and connections he can't keep up with people. But his wife (who's a lot more reserved) hasn't made as many. She can't understand how he meets so many people. Regardless, they both love it here. And let me add, as an interracial couple he was quick to correct me when I blindly assumed he's met more racism here than in NY&NJ.

Bottom line is FL or NC is probably not going to be like your present home. I think you need to really ask yourself if you truly want a change. And if so, how much of a change. It's the South. Not the North, not the West, but the South. It can be a good thing, it can be a bad thing, all in how you approach it. My boss, who's from LA, ABSOLUTELY love Nashville. Says he wishes they ahd moved here sooner. Says he can't find "good Mexican food" and misses Trader Joes, but says he can't wait to come home when he goes back to visit friends and family.

It took me almost 2 years to find a job in my field. Until then I was on my grind (doing what I had to do, legally of course). But isn't that part of life? Nobody is going to give you nothing (unless you're the privaleged) and sometimes there's hurdles to jump. For some more than for others. There aren't as many job opportunities as there are up North. The amount of Fortune 500 Companies headquartered here as compared to up North and the West Coast says a lot.

It may be a culture shock...maybe a major one. But if you're really wanting change, haven't you possibly found what you're looking for? If not, hey find what works. People here do have the stickers, and the rebel flags. But it's not always what you think. Who's to say they didn't buy that sticker after hearing a comment from a Northerner like the ones posted on here? That Comcast commercial where all hell breaks loose in the office is so the truth! Chain reactions. If you come here, will you try break it? If you come here on guard, looking for the slightest resemblance of what you've read on these posts...yeah, you're going to find it. And you'll be on the next plane, bus, or car back home. Writing the Pt. 2 of Warnings of moving to the South.

In a nutshell...do your homework. You may find Miami or Orlando have enough similarities to home, and enough difference from it, to be the perfect fit. Charlotte or Jacksonville may not be the place for you. You might have to hustle for a job...as far as I can see, welcome to the club. Many people I graduated with landed jobs as soon as their graduation caps hit the floor. The "good ole boy" thing is definitely real. But if you're good at what you do, somebody will notice. Everyone who's in a hiring position can't be part of the GOB Club. But all my friends in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and D.C. have told me that it's there too. You just have to stay focused and handle your business. Whining takes up too much time in my book.

I wish you all the best and do hope you find that change you're looking for.

Last edited by hew2a; 06-24-2007 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: edits

Old 06-24-2007, 10:54 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,938 times
Quote:
My wife's job wound up moving from North Brunswick, NJ to Charlotte with relo money. We hopped on that. I was told that it would be very easy to move from within the company to the same area. That wound up taking about six months and a LOT of applications in the process. What an enormous mistake. The only comfort I take is that I wasn't the only one who was given the impression of a wondrous job market in Charlotte only to be fooled. I'd spoken to enough people who went through the same thing. Seeing it on the NC board in this forum was another exclamation point...it wasn't just me or anything I was doing wrong.
See you have a corp relo situation. I am specifically talking about the people who threw caution to the wind and were like "we will put as much down because we made so much on our house up here, save a little for 6 months to "live" on" and then wing it as far as jobs.

It seems rather well....gutsy. Kudos if you can do it though!

As far as your situation...why was it such a mess if it was a fully paid relo? Was it a coordination issue of trying to find a home or something....you didnt have to worry about jobs...was it working with a realtor?

Old 06-24-2007, 11:03 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
mom2:

It can be done this way sometimes -- I moved to NY without one years ago and found a job within a few weeks. The problem is a lot of places don't want to hire relocation people unless they have some skill that's really in demand.

Totally agreed with you..but relo money is relo money..and that is paid at the companys discretion of course. And how far "higher" up you are too. I have friends that moved from NY to San Diego..hubby put in for a transfer to be closer to family...and to his surprise got it approved that same day..but there was going to be no relo money and he had to be ready to transition to his role within 60 days. The company is HUGE and they jumped on the chance...rented out there house, packed up the pods and even though they spend 15k in moving out there..they are loving it.

Our situation could be a relo too either atlanta or charlotte...after reading this thread it seems like Atlanta is the better choice from a cosmopolitan standpoint..which is a bummer..because we drove thru charlotte and it seemed like a lovely city. But there is no chance in heck that we would EVER move without a solid plan..or job in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York