Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 02:59 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,151 times

Advertisements

I'll give you a real-world example. My parents, photo-freaks, are in their 70s and going through their pictures. Basically tossing out anything that doesn't have people in it. We still have thousands of photos left over.
And that's not counting the digital photographs on the computer. What am I going to do when my parents die? When I'm supposed to manage everything from selling their 60-year old toaster at a garage sale to making sure the ceiling fan in the living room is up to par with current electrical standards, to fighting with Charter communications to disconnect their TV?
Basically, throw the pictures away. I'm sorry, but with this many pictures, there is no "special" effect of a picture anymore. It's clutter; it's taking up space; it needs to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 05:08 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,000 times
I recall the Polaroid and the technology that came before digital cameras and smart phones. The cool thing about the Polaroid was that the photo was the one and only. Sure, one can argue that being nonpareil was the bad thing about the Polaroid. Now, photos can be shared all too easily. Of course, there are positives and negatives to this. However, if I send a photo of my children to my sister, for example. I don't want that photo on her Facebook page for all to see and copy, if they choose.

I'm not fond of my picture being taken. Especially, unbeknownst to me. Simply for reasons of privacy.

Off topic: What is with the photographers at tourist attractions? Are they independents? What happens to the photo if I don't buy?

I can't control Six Flags taking my photo while I'm on a particular ride. However, the only photo that I can recall consenting for was at Ruby Falls. They are really annoyed when you opt out of the photo. What gives?

Old 06-24-2015, 07:43 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,470 times
Because we don't want this to happen...

Old 06-24-2015, 08:28 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,497,977 times
Couple reasons for me.

1. I pretty much always look terrible in photos whether it's planned or unplanned.
2. I don't like people posting my picture over 100 social media sites.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:53 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times
Not only do I not like having my photo taken, I don't like being asked why I don't like having my photo taken.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:40 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
I used to be a little self conscious since I dont think I photograph well, but I realize that is probably just from a distorted self image so I just grin and bear it.

But lately, as in the last few years, I find messages in my inbox with alarming regularity that state, gleefully, that I "have been tagged in a photo on facebook" (isn't that exciting?!?!?)

Now, if these were posed family photos, that might be one thing, but more often than not they are photos I wasn't aware were being taken at social gatherings and other public spots. I am not ashamed of where I was or what I was doing by any means, but I did not agree to be in that photo.

I don't even really mind that I have been documented by someone, candid photos are pretty cool actually, but then to have the documentation of my life made public is a little strange, and to have it done so often borders on disconcerting.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:03 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,167 times
I'm just thankful that within my own social circle this isn't an issue. I can't tell you enough how much of a blessing it's been to be able to photograph my own nieces and nephews, and for their mother to APPRECIATE these photos. For other friends of ours to be this same way--yes, it's been wonderful. This one neighbor, her child, a girl of 3, came over and was watching me photograph MY OWN CHILDREN and asked to join in to the festivities. Without asking the parents, I started clicking away. One photo I got came out quite nice, far better for sure than any photo the mother would've taken on her own, and I made an 8x10 print of this shot and gave it to the mother--framed, and totally free of charge. I thanked her for not being paranoid and for being so easy-going about what I was doing.

THAT is what we need more of in this world.

I study photography, and have been reading it to one degree or another and practicing it to one extent or the other for a good 30 years. Frankly, I have no interest in having people without a clue lecturing me on how to practice my craft. Would you presume to tell Stephen Curry or LeBron James how to play basketball, or give Meryl Streep pointers on acting? Okay then. I may not be a big name as those are, but the excellence of my photos, almost all of which were NOT created by an atmosphere of hostility and ugliness, qualify me to not have to listen to a bunch of ignorant people on how to go about this. If you aren't someone schooled in the particulars of photography, YOU ARE NOBODY to tell me what is proper photography.

Really, what's the actual fear of what's going to potentially happen if a photo in a public setting somehow ends up in social media? It's irrational. "I didn't agree to the photo"--you don't have to agree, that's never been a requirement. You're in public, that's what public is. You don't even have a legal argument, and I'd say not even a moral one either, complaining that someone snapped a photo at the lake while you were in your bathing suit, so long as they weren't all up in your face, and get this--even if they take a photo of YOUR CHILD (egads), guess what--you have no complaint, at all--and yes, I've done that, not often, and not aggressively, but yes--I've done it.

No, I'm not going to dumb down my craft, or my attempts at the pursuit of it, over silly and irrational fears. I'm not up in anybody's face, acting like you're Taylor Swift and I'm the paparazzi. I'm just a 40-something man enjoying the pursuit of a craft, liberated by no longer having to constantly spend money and run to the store to buy film and have it dropped off. For 20-odd years those were chains holding me back, and they no longer are. To think I should have to put an unnecessary leash on this, especially when I'm not all up in somebody's face, is silly. No one's reputation is being harmed here. No one is being rude. No one is in your face after you've said you'd rather not, it's just that you might end up in other photos involving other people who ARE okay with it.

Last edited by shyguylh; 06-24-2015 at 10:35 AM..

Old 06-24-2015, 10:11 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Take all the pictures you want. My family and I will move out of your way and let you do your thing without us in the scene.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:51 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,389,384 times
I don't want my photo taken and didn't even have photos taken at my wedding. I don't care whether other people dislike that or think it's "weird," it's my life and my decision. Why would anybody else care if someone doesn't want their photograph taken? If someone politely asks you not to take their photo, why spend 1 second of your life caring about that one way or the other?

Most people kill to have endless selfies and plaster their image all over social media. I would think a lot of people would appreciate somebody not self-absorbed, not narcissistic and not interested in promoting their image. To me, it's unbelievably intrusive to ever snap someone's photo unless they have their permission. And if permission isn't granted, smile and get on with your life.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:56 AM

983 posts, read 1,055,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I don't want my photo taken and didn't even have photos taken at my wedding. I don't care whether other people dislike that or think it's "weird," it's my life and my decision. Why would anybody else care if someone doesn't want their photograph taken? If someone politely asks you not to take their photo, why spend 1 second of your life caring about that one way or the other?

Most people kill to have endless selfies and plaster their image all over social media. I would think a lot of people would appreciate somebody not self-absorbed, not narcissistic and not interested in promoting their image. To me, it's unbelievably intrusive to ever snap someone's photo unless they have their permission. And if permission isn't granted, smile and get on with your life.
Well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships