Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 11:37 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,159,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Not necessarily. Introverts can be very interesting people with varied and deep interests and lots of knowledge about those areas, but we largely hate small talk. We prefer to get into a more meaningful conversation if conversation is going to happen. I find small talk excruciatingly boring and draining, but I made sure I learned how to do it when necessary. Being an introvert and hating small talk is no excuse for not taking responsibility to learn at least a little how to engage in it. The whole point of this thread was "NECESSARY small talk." Chatting with someone in line at a store is not necessary, but mingling with other professionals at a conference is sometimes necessary.
Totally agree, except that I think small talk is very often not truly 'necessary'. Beneficial in some ways if the person(s) you are with absolutely expects it, but necessary? No. I think there is a reason it's called small talk, as in unimportant, trivial, 'small'.
And for the record, yes, I am happy to be left standing alone by the potted palm if the other alternative is to be stuck making small talk with strangers all night. Some of us go because we must, job expectations, family obligations, etc. or we may enjoy people watching or listening to the conversations around us without joining in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I would like to know how people start conversations without small talk first? It's like a gateway to bigger and better things I think.

Do you just walk up to someone and say, "What are your views on euthanasia?" or the Vonnegutian, "Tell me how your parents died?"
Most people who don't enjoy small talk don't usually 'start' conversations with strangers. We may join conversations in progress that have piqued our interest, or start conversations with people we already know and can skip the small talk. Or very occasionally we can find an opportunity to start a conversation about something interesting because the other person offers us a clue, maybe in the way of a book they are carrying or a slogan on a t-shirt, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 04:07 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Trav View Post
Yes, making small talk can be a pain and kind of boring. But many times we must make small talk as part of our job, when meeting new people we want to know or get on their good side or at events with family or friends.

I am introduced to many people at these events and they are like talking to a wall. Incredibly weak at small talk. Some seem like they are trying but many don't understand how important small talk can be.

Why are so many people just lousy at small talk?
If someone is "bad" at small talk or doesn't appreciate small talk the way you do then it's a fair bet that you can just skip it with them! They don't like it and you won't be able to "get on their good side" by continuing.

Maybe that's what I dislike about YOUR kind of small talk - I don't like being manipulated. Just because you have a labradoodle doesn't mean I'll go out on a limb for you - and just because you daughter is the same age as mine doesn't mean I'll go out of my way to do you a favor. THAT'S irrational to me - some shallow fake "connection" that really means nothing. So you can pass me over and go on to the next person, thanks.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:03 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowHope View Post
Small talk can be a learned skill for many. I went to a business meeting recently, and one of the speakers gave us a tip to remember when engaging in small talk.

FORD

Family
Occupation
Recreation
Dreams

If you talk about things related to those subjects, you can have decent conversations and usually not run out of things to talk about.:-)
Awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Totally agree, except that I think small talk is very often not truly 'necessary'. Beneficial in some ways if the person(s) you are with absolutely expects it, but necessary? No. I think there is a reason it's called small talk, as in unimportant, trivial, 'small'.
And for the record, yes, I am happy to be left standing alone by the potted palm if the other alternative is to be stuck making small talk with strangers all night. Some of us go because we must, job expectations, family obligations, etc. or we may enjoy people watching or listening to the conversations around us without joining in.
Most people who don't enjoy small talk don't usually 'start' conversations with strangers. We may join conversations in progress that have piqued our interest, or start conversations with people we already know and can skip the small talk. Or very occasionally we can find an opportunity to start a conversation about something interesting because the other person offers us a clue, maybe in the way of a book they are carrying or a slogan on a t-shirt, etc.
Exactly. When I read the thread title, I thought, "Is small talk really necessary?". It's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Interesting point! Maybe many people aren't good at small talk because they haven't been trained in such a technique?
Or..we don't want to do it?

Old 03-04-2016, 06:08 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
I'm so darned good at small talk people forget what they were doing, where they were going... One time I ran into a guy right before he went down the stairs. I small-talked the heck out of him. By the time I got to my office at the other end of the building, he was coming up the stairs on THAT end. He said after speaking to me, he forgot why he was going down stairs so he thought he might remember if he walked around the parking lot. He said he never did remember but he saw some squirrels out there doing some amazing things. LOL

I have that effect on people.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:59 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
I'm not good at "How was your weekend?"-type small talk because most of the time I nothing but stay home and veg out and just don't like to answer that question. I say "Nothing much" and that's that. And if I did do something fun that weekend, chances are the person who asked isn' that interested in the first place. But this primarily involves the work place, and I don't socialize or talk much with them.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:40 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,218,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'm so darned good at small talk people forget what they were doing, where they were going... One time I ran into a guy right before he went down the stairs. I small-talked the heck out of him. By the time I got to my office at the other end of the building, he was coming up the stairs on THAT end. He said after speaking to me, he forgot why he was going down stairs so he thought he might remember if he walked around the parking lot. He said he never did remember but he saw some squirrels out there doing some amazing things. LOL

I have that effect on people.

And you think that is good???

Old 03-06-2016, 11:55 AM

529 posts, read 508,511 times
I'd consider small talk anything that is not personal, and or that does not ask me my worldview on the Big 7 Sensitive Topics...

Old 03-06-2016, 01:06 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,880,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post

I ordered take out in a local restaurant, and was having a drink at the bar waiting for it to be prepared. A guy was sitting at the bar wearing scrubs. Jeopardy was on the TV and I said an answer out loud. He said good job. I said that I was a nerd about history. He said he was a history nerd too but wanted an actual job. I asked what he did for a living, and he said he "watches people bleed and tries to stop it." I said "Oh what a coincidence, I listen to people bleed and try to stop it."

OK... to me this is the perfect example of what I was saying. You started with small talk and it became a gateway to more interesting things. That is what small talk is.

Maybe I'm just not understanding what people consider small talk?

Maybe people just hate small talk delivered in a bland, uninteresting manner?

Old 03-06-2016, 04:04 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
OK... to me this is the perfect example of what I was saying. You started with small talk and it became a gateway to more interesting things. That is what small talk is.

Maybe I'm just not understanding what people consider small talk?

Maybe people just hate small talk delivered in a bland, uninteresting manner?
No, I hate it, period.

When I go somewhere, I am focused on whatever I am doing. I am not trying to meet someone or make a friend. I want to complete my transaction or business and move onto whatever else I had to do that day.

Why do you find this so hard to believe?

Old 03-06-2016, 06:59 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
And you think that is good???

LOL, I thought the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships